Maybe a way of getting super back...

VERYSTORMY

I was chatting to my accountant the other day and I mentioned the crap thing that if we moved from Oz, my super is stuck here. He says not and that you can get it out as you leave. Now, other than a cocked eyebrow, we didn't discuss it further other than me saying are your sure? For a perm yes? He replied yes, there are ways. If anyone leaving wants to gave a chat with him, plea pm me and I will pass on his details. I am not saying he is correct - only used him once now as just changed accountants.

I was chatting to my accountant the other day and I mentioned the crap thing that if we moved from Oz, my super is stuck here. He says not and that you can get it out as you leave. Now, other than a cocked eyebrow, we didn't discuss it further other than me saying are your sure? For a perm yes? He replied yes, there are ways. If anyone leaving wants to gave a chat with him, plea pm me and I will pass on his details. I am not saying he is correct - only used him once now as just changed accountants.

There was a lady I knew on another expats website who was a citizen here in Perth and got hers back when she left a couple of years ago so it is possible.

I thought you could only take it out by paying tax. Personally I don't mind mine staying there. I have a good online account, and I can play with it any way I want. Plus I have a life insurance policy attached (which I think is valid). But I can understand that if you had a large pot, now would be a pretty good time to turn it into pounds, as the exchange rate may not be this good when you retire.

I thought you could only take it out by paying tax. Personally I don't mind mine staying there. I have a good online account, and I can play with it any way I want. Plus I have a life insurance policy attached (which I think is valid). But I can understand that if you had a large pot, now would be a pretty good time to turn it into pounds, as the exchange rate may not be this good when you retire.

You need to calculate the NPV against when you / if leave. If it is earning less than inflation after fees, then you lose money. If it is a small pot, then because of fees, it can be even more detrimental. A friend who has only paid in a fairly small amount in the 2 years he has been here has calculated that by 60 it would be worthless if he levee now.

Archived