Medical costs for someone on a 457 Visa?

ruddy2000

Hey guys,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section but I will keep it short and sweet

Just looking for opinions/Advice

I am a British National on a 457 work visa. I have numerous things I have been carrying with me for a while with regards to health issues and have not been able to get home to have them sorted out.

One particular issue is ongoing with my stomach Infection and so I went to the Docs as I have been carrying this with me for over a year now..

They sent me for Blood, Urine and Stool tests and thank god I asked the price before I went ahead and did them! $760 Just for the tests!

My question is, is this a normal price for someone who is supposedly a temporary resident?...and if so, What options do I have with regards to getting Health Insurance that will cover this?...Is there no reciprocal agreement? (Other than The 'Visitor' Medicare card I have that seems useless apart for discounts on consultations!)

Can anyone give any advice and what I should do?

Cheers!

I thought it was reciprocal .... but saying that we have insurance ... I had some blood tests done last year and a mammogram and both were done under the reciprocal agreement ..... I pay $60 when I visit my GP and because I have registered my bank details with Medicare they give me $35.50 back the same day ..... As for anything other than this I am sorry I am unable to help, but I am sure there are people on here who can ....

Love Shoes, May I ask who you have your insurance with and how much does it cost? Also I'm wondering if I am going to the 'Correct' Doctors...or wether I have been quoted some stupid price from a private docs...

Im really not sure how this works...but im pretty sure it shouldnt be costing me $760 just to take some blood tests! ...They even looked at my Medicare card and called the lab who quoted the price!

Love Shoes, May I ask who you have your insurance with and how much does it cost? Also I'm wondering if I am going to the 'Correct' Doctors...or wether I have been quoted some stupid price from a private docs...

Im really not sure how this works...but im pretty sure it shouldnt be costing me $760 just to take some blood tests! ...They even looked at my Medicare card and called the lab who quoted the price!

We are with Iman ... If I am not mistaken there is a link on this forum for them, regarding cost I will have to ask my husband, he pays it .... Lol, but it's not a rip off amount, we didn't get extras such as scripts .... Optical or dental .... we just took the package that we could not afford I.e., kidneys, cancer ... You know the things I mean ...

la lot of doctors bulk bill, ours doesn't ... They are all private I think ....

how much does yours charge for a consultation ..? it can vary slightly, some in our town are $55 ....

It can be confusing .... Pm or email me if you want as my OH is really knowledgeable with this kind of thing ...... he works in the medical profession so has more know than me, lol ....

When we were on the 457 visa we had private health insurance. We have a high level of health insurance now, but saying that it doesn't cover things like those you've mentioned, and there is usually a gap, even for those with residency (so I recently paid nearly $200 for testing for gluten intolerance - not covered by anything!). I suspect the gap is much wider as you are on 457 and this is not seen as reciprocal. Out of pocket charges for healthcare use can hit hard for all I'm afraid, but it's worth asking the costs of your tests from another provider in case they're cheaper. One thing that has come up on this forum is that some providers charge for Xrays etc and some don't. Dr's refer you to the people they know and IMHO don't really care if you can afford it or not. I have been honest with my GP and told her I can't afford some of the referrals. This resulted in me being bulk billed for consulation, but unfortunately for my particular condition I can't investigate my problems until I have more $ coming in. I've never paid so much for healthcare, and been so poorly provided for.... quite ironic really, but such is the system here.