Never thought I'd be feeling like this.....

emmaroo

Guest guest22466

Its hard Emma somedays its a feeling like i dont know if im Arthur or Marthur today lol it can drive you nuts but you are young and time on your side . Only you walks in your shoes and feels the feelings that you feel so what ever you do it will be right for you. Take Care xxxx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should give it a good go in Edinburgh before thinking of returning to Aus

Like its been said 9 months is no time at all

Get into the summer when hopefully you'll get to see a bit of the sun and feel some warmth and who knows your views might change again

Wishing you well

Agree 9 months isn't long but I've seen the same posters saying 9 months isn't long in Edinburgh and say that 6 weeks is long enough to decide you don't like Aus.

It's going to be interesting to see peoples response as you mentioned the expense. All we hear on this forum usually is how expensive Perth is. Good luck Emma. You have probably seen the worst of the winter in Edinburgh so it might improve over the next couple of months.

I'm a bit reluctant to answer, purely because I was accused of making this thread about me but briefly...

We had a big family home in the UK with a sizable mortgage and maybe £40k equity, I can't quite remember, we decided to migrate early 2009 but by the time we got our visa the GFC was starting to bite, not the best time to sell a house but we got two offers, one for the asking price and one £18k less. The problem was the couple offering the asking price had a house to sell - a small semi, worth $100k less than ours so we bought it off them. We got a 95% mortgage - I think the deposit we paid was £13k so basically we got our equity out of the house and were £5k up on the other offer plus had an 'investment' - an investment now worth less than we paiid but we still came to Oz with more money. There is a whole other story about the property and if we'd had another offer anywhere close there is no-way we'd have kept a property in the UK. When we came it was 100% for good - no question.

Even if we'd had the 'extra' £13k it would have barely made a difference to our mortgage payments and whilst the drop in our standard of living isn't welcome, we didn't move to Australia to be rich, we moved to be happy. If we were happy we certainly wouldn't move back to be better off financially.

I do agree it would be harder to move back if we didn't have a house but since we didn't even live in that village before (though close by) let alone that house I am no more attached to it than an investment bond. We even considered not moving back to it - we have good long term tenants - and renting but it didn't make financial sense.

I'm not that negative about Perth (am I?) but I do think people overlook the cost of buying in a suburb a reasonable distance from the CBD (if that's where they work) - those areas are not at the median $500k. There aren't towns in the UK 100km end to end - Glasgow is only about 70km from Edinburgh (not Polmont as someone suggested!).

I have no axe to grind I genuinely want other people to make the right decision for them.

Padbury has lots of houses in the median $500k range (and lower), as does Craigie and neither of them are more than 20 minutes on the train from the CBD.

I would listen to your gut instinct every time. I would also stop thinking about Oz versus UK as you can't live in two countries in your head all the time and will drive yourself nuts. If it's down to money/income then have you considered putting the job and income first in UK and trying for a job out of your area for a while that pays better? For example, I have a young friend who was working in Australia as a vet but returned to Dublin area when her visa expired. She was happy to be back but with her Mum and one of her brothers living locally plus all her friends but her job there was not a good one so she got a job in England, in a not particularly good area but the job is superb. And, as it turned out, she has met her perfect man! Had she not made that move she would never have met him. Life is an adventure and both countries are wonderful in very different ways so enjoy the one you are in now.

I too would suggest looking back at past posts every time you have a down day and making the most of the good days. There is really only one 'home' and you're home now.

They will be the next big growth areas in Perth. Good choice of area.

Padbury has lots of houses in the median $500k range (and lower), as does Craigie and neither of them are more than 20 minutes on the train from the CBD.

Archived