Should I buy a one way ticket or return?

chasingthesun

So I have just got my visa and am super excited! Obviously if I could I would leave tomorrow but I am thinking about August/early September, I am not sure which ticket type to go for- I am also thinking of applying for the NZ year visa just before I leave so I can go on to there, hence why I am considering a one way ticket. However one of my friends has suggested that turning up with a one way ticket may look suspicious to customs even though I have the visa for a year and that I could end up having to go through added security checks/questioning at the airport. A one way ticket is a bit cheaper though...

Any ideas?:goofy:

My brother went out on a one way ticket and on a working holiday visa in november 2011...he is still there as he did 3 months fruit picking and got another years visa.....its not againt the law to get a one way ticket so go for it, especially if you dont know when/where you will be moving on to...good luck! :biggrin:

Just make absolutely sure you have money put to one side to buy that ticket when you want to come home. I would advise putting it in another totally separate account. Also, a ticket from this end will cost a bit more (when bringing UK money into it) so you'll need to put about 2-2500 dollars aside.

There was a backpacker on here a few months ago that had done just what your saying, but was in a desperate situation because he had no money to get home.... he was having real trouble finding work, and although it worked out at the last minute ( found a few weeks work) he was evn considering handing himself in to be deported once his visa ran out!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, it's good advice to keep some money aside for the return, I think I will be ok with that and I guess if I found myself needing to get home quickly I can always use my credit card. It definitely seems to vary depending on which day you search for flights, last week it was like Warren&Liz said with not much difference between the lights but then yesterday I found a few one-way tickets for about £250 less! Decisions decisions! Rolypolybird- I am definitely planning to do the 3 months fruit picking too! :)

Archived