Can I arrive to and work in NZ on Australian PR 190 Visa?

Dream Runner

Hi all,

Can I arrive to and work in NZ on Australian PR 190 Visa? Or do I first need to land in Australia and then go to NZ?

If yes, then do I need to follow any process or take any approvals?

My current employer in India is planning to send me to NZ for short term and then to Australia from there.

Hopefully I will follow below path:

India -> NZ (short term assignment) -> Adelaide (South Australia, so that I will complete my Moral Obligation of searching and staying in SA for 2 years)

Please respond.

Hi all,

Can I arrive to and work in NZ on Australian PR 190 Visa? Or do I first need to land in Australia and then go to NZ?

If yes, then do I need to follow any process or take any approvals?

My current employer in India is planning to send me to NZ for short term and then to Australia from there.

Hopefully I will follow below path:

India -> NZ (short term assignment) -> Adelaide (South Australia, so that I will complete my Moral Obligation of searching and staying in SA for 2 years)

Please respond.

From the New Zealand Immigration website (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktemporarily/requirements/):

People who do not need a visa

You do not need a work visa to work in New Zealand if you are:

• a New Zealand citizen or you hold a New Zealand residence visa, or

• an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. (If there are conditions on your residence visa/resident return visa, then you will require a work visa.)

So, your 190 PR visa should allow you to visit and work in NZ, however, you may find that you must enter Australia at least once on your visa in order to activate it before entering NZ to work.

As far as activating your Australian visa is concerned, all that is required is that you enter the country legally.

I'd recommend you seek the advice of an immigration professional experienced with NZ regulations to find out whether you can enter NZ with your Australian visa before activating it.

You learn something new every day. How odd that nz people need to get a visa to work here then.

New Zealand citizens are allowed to live and work here.They don't have to apply for a special visa at all, they are granted one automatically when they arrive if they are citizens. I have lots of New Zealand friends living and working here. Aussies and New Zealanders are allowed to live and work in each others countries under a special agreement.

Yes, but they still need the visa, even if it is issued automatically when they get here, the link above says Aussies can work in nz with no visa.

It's a little strange - you'd normally expect visa treaties to be the same at each end. While there's virtually no practical difference, I guess when these things were agreed it was much more effort (i.e. no online application or automatic grant) to get a tourist visa and NZ were willing to forgo visa requirements in order to encourage tourism and workers for the benefit to the economy.

New Zealand citizens are allowed to live and work here.They don't have to apply for a special visa at all, they are granted one automatically when they arrive if they are citizens. I have lots of New Zealand friends living and working here. Aussies and New Zealanders are allowed to live and work in each others countries under a special agreement.

It is not equal though, there is a massive practical difference. I am not an Aussie citizen, I am an Australian permanent resident, but when I arrived in NZ I got a NZ PR stamp. A NZ permanent residency status stands for nothing in Australia. And even NZ citizenship only ever means a temporary visa for Australia, whereas I could move to NZ tomorrow as pr and go on to get NZ citizenship.

We went to Oz on a 176 visa, and after our validation trip we came to NZ to visit friends. They gave us residence on arrival, and we've now been here for nearly 18 months. We are able to apply for PR once we've been here for two years, and then won't be reliant upon the Aussie visa anymore.

Guest Thebutler
We went to Oz on a 176 visa, and after our validation trip we came to NZ to visit friends. They gave us residence on arrival, and we've now been here for nearly 18 months. We are able to apply for PR once we've been here for two years, and then won't be reliant upon the Aussie visa anymore.

can you please explain how you do this ? For example what if your AUssie PR expires before you get NZ citizenshjip ? and are you automatically eligible for an NZ PR after 2 years or do u need to go through the whole process what if your profession is not on the list at the time ? plz help as i'm considering something similar

can you please explain how you do this ? For example what if your AUssie PR expires before you get NZ citizenshjip ? and are you automatically eligible for an NZ PR after 2 years or do u need to go through the whole process what if your profession is not on the list at the time ? plz help as i'm considering something similar

We were told at the passport control desk in the airport, that our residence was valid while our Aussie PR was valid. They just stamped our passports with a residence stamp when we arrived at the airport.

We came over to visit friends just after our validation trip, and stayed. Once you have PR you can come and go as you please, and as far as I'm aware it doesn't expire like the Aussie PR does. The NZ PR takes two years, though you have to make sure you apply for travel conditions on your residence visa once here, because if you leave the country without the travel conditions and come back in after a holiday, then your two years starts again. If you have the travel conditions, your time accrued picks up where you left off.

The best thing to do is to phone the immigration dept directly. They are very helpful and will clarify anything you want to know. We've phoned them two or three times since we've been here, and asked a ton of questions, and they were a great help. This is the contact page for the NZ government immigration website, with phone numbers etc...

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/aboutnzis/contactus/

Also, you have to meet certain criteria within the two years in order to qualify for PR, and it's things like paying tax in NZ, buying a property in NZ, plus a few others which the people at immi will be able to list for you, but I don't believe being on the skill shortage list is necessary. Again, just phone them and they'll tell you everything you need to know.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to say (and haven't worked out how to edit a post yet), that as far as I'm aware, you only have to meet two of the criteria on the list in order to be able to apply for PR once your two years is up.

What do you mean by PR once your two years are up. I have just looked at te stamp in my passport and it says "Resident Visa - Holder may remain indefinitely". Is that not PR then? Obviously different system and terminology to Australian system and I am not really familiar with the NZ rules.

What do you mean by PR once your two years are up. I have just looked at te stamp in my passport and it says "Resident Visa - Holder may remain indefinitely". Is that not PR then? Obviously different system and terminology to Australian system and I am not really familiar with the NZ rules.

There is a difference between residence and PR. At the moment we are 'residents', and while we can stay indefinitely I believe, if we left the country and our Aussie PR expired, then we'd only be able to come back in here as tourists. But once we get PR, then we're free to come and go as we please, without having to have the valid Aussie visa. This is what we understand from our conversations with immigration officers here.

However, still the best thing to do is to phone NZ immi yourself to double check all this with them.

Well pr are also residents too, permanent residents. So what you mean is you count as a temporary resident until you physically apply (meeting the criteria) to be a permanent resident I'm guessing.

Yes, but you can only apply after two years of living in NZ as a resident, and you must meet two of the criteria on the list they supply in order to qualify.

I think the thing is that with the 'residence' you are reliant upon the Aussie visa being valid, and also there are travel restrictions unless you apply for 'travel conditions' on your residence visa, but once you have PR you can come and go as you please and apparently PR does not expire in NZ, so no worries with the RRVs that you need for Aus.

I think in a way that the NZ residence is similar to the Aussie PR, in that once it expires you can still stay in the country, but if you leave and then come back in you'll be treated as a tourist (if the PR visa has expired - unless you get a RRV first). So, while we have the Aussie visa we can come and go here, but once it expires we would either have to stay indefinitely (without even leaving for a holiday), or apply for PR which then gives us the ability to come and go without being reliant on the Oz visa.

Hope that makes some sort of sense, though I'm not a legal/immigration professional, so best to check it all out for yourself.

Archived