Young couple moving to Perth....any help would be appreciated

Deeandchris

Hi me and my partner are in Australia and have been visiting all of the big cities over the last few weeks whilst also applying for jobs. My partner has just been offered and accepted a job in Perth and as we haven't been there yet we have no idea where to start I.E suburbs, rentals and lively areas etc.

thanks in advance!!

My family and i have been living in the northern suburbs for a couple of years and are very happy. Good transport links to the city, a good mix of Aussies and ex-pats so there is an element of familiarity. I wouldn't say it's particularly lively though, closer t the city may be a better option but generally comes at a price. Cost of a relatively new average condition 4 bed house i'd say between $450 to $500 per week to rent. You could pay more or less depending on the suburb and standard.

If you are young and working in the City, the City itself would be a decent call. There are lots of new apartments, don't know the price but if you were living and working in the City you might not need a car. That would save you heaps.

If you fancy being near the beach and near a bit of life I would be looking at Scarborough or further up the coast near Hillary's. You would still be on a fairly decent bus route to the train stations and Joondalup had a few pubs, clubs, restaurants and decent nightlife.

Fremantle is another option. Freo is a great place with plenty to do, decent beaches very close by and a bit more laid back than Perth. Feels almost like still living in the 60's. Couple of great pubs and breweries in Freo. as well as the markets.

Places vary greatly in cost.

Hi guys,

we've looked at Fremantle some decent apartments for the price etc. I'm going to be working in Osborne park 6017 (between Stirling and Cambridge). The city's an option but its quite pricey so depends what my partner can get work wise speaking of which, my partner is a qualified support worker. She looked after people with autism and learning difficulties. We are waiting to hear back from the Perth autistic society but does anyone know of any other employers?

Thanks

Chris

Most of Perth is middle-class surburban family hell (my own biased opinion of course!) so as a young couple looking for a lively area you will need to choose carefully. When we came on our reccie we had planned to live in the Northern suburbs and at 42 I thought I was too young to condemn myself to that.

Perth City is pretty dead once the city workers leave and there isn't much of an after works drink culture - I remember coming out of a cinema on Hay Street on our reccie at around 8pm expecting to go and get something to eat and essentially Perth was shut - we went to McDonalds! It has got better over the last 5 years though and eventually with the riverside development it could get better yet.

Northbridge is lively, not a place I'd choose to live as it is full of travellers, students and the local binge drinkers (Perth is apparently the binge drinking captial of Australia according to the local paper - I would guess it still would have a way to go before it catches up with most najor cities in the UK though!) but depending quite how lively you are looking for it's an option.

Freo I agreed is fabulous - my local haunt but not a good option for working Stirling/Osborne Park

For that area Scarborough would be a great option - a bit student/traveller-ish and there can be a bit of trouble there sometimes but I know plenty of people in their 20s/30s who have lived there very happily. There are great apartments or even villas (semi detached/terraced houses sharing common areas usually).

If you go inland a little from Scarborough to Joondanna/Glendalough then you are still just 5/10 mins from the beach but might save a packet on rent - I haven't checked but beachside locations are usually a premium.

Leederville would also be a good option too - quite lively in it's own right.

The other place I think I'd like to live if I was young is Subiaco - it would be expensive though and probably not the best location for where you are working.

Hi guys,

we've looked at Fremantle some decent apartments for the price etc. I'm going to be working in Osborne park 6017 (between Stirling and Cambridge). The city's an option but its quite pricey so depends what my partner can get work wise speaking of which, my partner is a qualified support worker. She looked after people with autism and learning difficulties. We are waiting to hear back from the Perth autistic society but does anyone know of any other employers?

Thanks

Chris

There are a couple of not for profit agencies who look for work and opportunities for autistic and developmentally delayed people. One is called edge and they are based in Subi. Our youngest is registered with them and they do a great job.

Sounds like they would be an ideal place for your partner to send a resume. Good luck.

Hi, my husband and I are just into our 4th week in Perth, we like to think of ourselves as "young" still, 31 and 39! We are entering a transition though from work hard play hard to a more sensible living situation...Perth is not a real party town so to speak. However, like other posters have mentioned, there are some quirky and cool spots around, Freo deffo is one of them. Subiaco is a great town but it's something of a Sloane Street area with housewives driving dangerously about in their Land Rovers.

We are up in Hillarys and it's a great spot, not much nightlife but we've got everything we need within a couple mins walk, the marina is close by with a great Sunday Sesh type bar, beaches 5 mins away and fast ferry to Rottnest. I'd suggest anywhere within a 30 min commute to the City with buses nearby straight to the train stations, and with the exception of Freo, I'd suggest sticking to the northern suburbs. Scarborough, mt Crawley, Mt Lawley, West Perth. The rental market is very very competitive and if you only listen to this one thing of all the other cr@p I've written, is to rent via owners. Agents are rats. Gumtree is the best for this. Don't dismiss ads without photos either. We didn't and we ended up in a fantastic place with fantastic landlords. And, when responding to ads, do tell them about yourselves and your situation. And if you are in a position to do so, offer to pay 1,2,3 months in advance. Our landlady said we were shoe ins once she read our email, as every other respondent was very brash, asking more about what was on offer, when they could view, where were the photos, etc than actually being friendly, selling themselves and putting the owner at ease.

Best of luck with the house hunt! Let us know how you get on.

Hi thanks for getting back to us. We have found short term (3month) rental in city beach. Looks really nice. Hopefully this will give us time to scope out the areas and find out where we would like to finally settle. We have used gumtree to find the short term so we'll probably use it again once we're ready to rent long term, we've also looked at real estate most of our friends have used it in Melbourne and sydney.

We can't wait to get to Perth heard its well nice!

thanks again