Financially Trapped Desperate to go!!

leanne1287

Really sorry to read your story Leanne and I hope you find a resolution and some peace quickly. I am afraid that I am falling into a similar situation, having only arrived here a few weeks ago, but can't shake off the feeling that I have made the biggest mistake of my life. OH and kids are loving it, I on the other hand feel consumed by anxiety, am unable to sleep, have started a job that isn't what I was led to believe it would be and am constantly worried that the relatively modest savings we have will evaporate in no time in this incredibly expensive environment. I keep hoping that the stomach churning feeling will go away and hope to be woken up by the alarm clock rather than tossing and turning from 3.00am onwards. Is this a fairly normal feeling having recently arrived?

Know that feeling Bobinwa...but the good news is it does pass. I felt exactly the same when we first arrived. We all did! For the first three months we just wanted to turn heal and run back to our 'familiar' life. That terrible feeling of dread....We just couldnt shake it.

We have now been here 3 years and love it. hubby doesnt even want to go back and visit!

Looking back now I put it down to the trauma of all those horrible goodbyes, the enitial jetlag, so much stuff to organise on landing and not knowing what the hell you are doing....everything is so unfamiliar...even the weekly shop! And thats when you most need a hug from loved ones and to be told that everything will be ok....and they are at the otherside of the world. In those early days we got through one day at a time. We had promised ourselves before we came that even if we didnt like it we would give it a year (we know people that went straight back and ended up pingponging)....we are so glad that we did now.

All I can say is things will settle...give yourself time to adjust...it does get easier.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to Greattobebritish we did try and get a loan from the bank but again because we had no credit history the only way we could get the finance was by buying new cars. The banks and credit company only seem to really like to lend to people they know they will make money from!

but then ..you are condoning committing a criminal act.

I agree - but I would have no problem in informing the finance company that we could not service the loan and returning ownership/keys to them. Their financial/risk models assume a certain number of defaults, the OP's is just another of them.

Guest Bobinwa
Know that feeling Bobinwa...but the good news is it does pass. I felt exactly the same when we first arrived. We all did! For the first three months we just wanted to turn heal and run back to our 'familiar' life. That terrible feeling of dread....We just couldnt shake it.

We have now been here 3 years and love it. hubby doesnt even want to go back and visit!

Looking back now I put it down to the trauma of all those horrible goodbyes, the enitial jetlag, so much stuff to organise on landing and not knowing what the hell you are doing....everything is so unfamiliar...even the weekly shop! And thats when you most need a hug from loved ones and to be told that everything will be ok....and they are at the otherside of the world. In those early days we got through one day at a time. We had promised ourselves before we came that even if we didnt like it we would give it a year (we know people that went straight back and ended up pingponging)....we are so glad that we did now.

All I can say is things will settle...give yourself time to adjust...it does get easier.

Thank you so much for your responses everyone. Yesterday was a slightly better day, I managed to sleep until 6,00am for the first time since we arrived, so I will take that as a positive! I have been completely surprised by how I feel, I always thought I was very strong and that I could adapt to any situation, but obviously not (so far anyway).

Thank you so much for your responses everyone. Yesterday was a slightly better day, I managed to sleep until 6,00am for the first time since we arrived, so I will take that as a positive! I have been completely surprised by how I feel, I always thought I was very strong and that I could adapt to any situation, but obviously not (so far anyway).

Sounds like you just needed to get it off your chest. It can be incredibly unsettling when you first arrive, especially if you're in temporary accommodation and money seems to run through your hands like sand. I've moved here twice and both times it's felt the same for the first few weeks.