Worth it?

zidden

Is it worth shipping an 8 year old dog?

Doubting whether the added stress as the dog will have to live with family for 2 months prior to departure from UK, then spend 30 days in quarantine. Meaning a total of 3 months from us.

Thinking if it is worth dragging our little one through all that and if he will be traumatised / experience attachment issues in future.

I think if the dog is healthy, money for his flight / quarantine isnt an issue, and the vet thinks he would be ok to make the journey ,id bring him. We lost our dog whilst going through the application process ,if he had still been with us we would have brought him out here too.

Good Luck, you know the dog best so follow your heart

Cal x

Dear Zidden

What breed is your dog please? 8 year old Wolfhound (for example) - not a good idea as they are very old at 8, an 8 year old Terrier is only middle aged!

Have you got a decent alternative? have you got someone you know and trust in Uk to have your dog? If you do then that is probably the best option, if you may have to put your dog into a pound and hope they get a good home then flying them is the better option.

Is your dog particularly nervous/shy? As Scottish Stacey said it is the humans who tend to get more stressed by this than the furballs!

Really difficult call, but most of the forum guys will testify that these pets travel ok and do not come out of quarantine "traumatised".

You are very welcome to give us a call if you like and I promise not to force you one way or the other :)- this is a decision you have to be happy with, but from my point of view if you have a good option to leave your dog in Uk then that is probably the best option.

Bob

Yeah Stacey, Irish Wolfies don't live long. There is one (Grace) opposite the Wrinklies and she is 10 and is gorgeous, but Grace is getting on now and her owners are dreading the day when they will have to be to kind and let her go.

Back to the OP, my Hooligans are 6 and 7 respectively and they are going with us. My Beagle is a bit scatty (typical for the breed) and I know she won't like the plane, but we have weighed up what they will gain in Oz and my little Cand is a rescue terrier and I just couldn't leave her as she was in a terrible state when we got her. She is my shadow and wherever I go, she is there beside me. I have read and spoken to as many people as I can and researched as much as I can about pet shipping and everyone seems to be of the same view, the humans suffer more than the pets.

I would speak to one of the pet shippers and see how you feel. We are going with Bob (PetAir). He is a vet and can explain everything in detail and answer any questions. He has really put my mind at rest about what needs to be done and what goes on.

I have a link from a pet walking company with pics of the dogs in the quarantine station if you would like to see it. Although the kennels are basic, but clean, all the dogs look fairly happy. You can employ dog walkers to go in four times a week to play, walk and generally keep an eye on your dogs.

Not an easy decision I know, but wish you lots of Luck Lorraine x

Dobermans and great danes etc dont live long either do they? I should of thought of that before i answered! My mums scottie lived till he was 13, we were told that was old for his breed.

OP best to just talk to bob or your own vet about what they think but you'll know your own dog better than anyone.

If you find that you think it is better for your dog to stay in the UK then try your best to get a family member or friend to look after