189 visa - should I use an agent or go it alone??

Shar

I have been and spoken to an agent about applying for a 189 visa, they have sent me the information and links for everything I need, IELTS, letters from previous employers, medicals, etc but not I am stuck as to whether I should use them to do my application, they charge $3000 plus gst, but I'm worried if I don't use them I may not complete everything correctly and this may affect my visa being accepted. A friend suggested that some lawyers in Australia can help fill in the forms and would only charge and hourly rate which would be cheaper, can anyone advise me? Agent or no agent is the big question?

Thank you

You don't need a migration agent and he or she has no influence over whether you will be issued with your visa or not.

Why not spend a few hours working your way through the process on the DIAC site? Don't be put off by all the bureaucratic language and jargon. You could be paying someone else $3000 to do what you could do yourself? All the forms, all the facts, all the information you need are available to you.

Any time you have a problem, post it on here and/or contact DIAC.

[h=2]Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa[/h]Features

• This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member.
  • A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
  • Certain family members can be included in the application.

Requirements

Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:

• submit an Expression of Interest
  • have an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
  • meet the English language requirements
  • be able to score at least 60 on the points test.

[h=2]Before applying[/h][h=3]How this visa works[/h]To be able to lodge a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia.

[h=4]Basic requirements[/h]There are basic requirements you must meet to apply for this visa. You must:

• be invited to apply
  • be younger than 50 years of age when you are invited to apply
  • nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
  • have at least competent English
  • score at least 60 on the points test
  • meet the health and character requirements.

[h=4]More information[/h]See Booklet 6

[h=1]Applying for a Visa Yourself[/h]There is a variety of information and services available on the departmental website.

[h=2]Departmental resources available to you[/h]

• Application forms that you will need to lodge a visa application are available at no cost. Many application forms include an application checklist, which list the required documents to include with your application.
    See: Application Forms
  • Many applications can be lodged online.
    See: Online Applications
  • The Visa Wizard can help you find the Australian visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances. Please note that the Visa Wizard does not list every type of visa.
    See: Visa Wizard
  • Information Booklets designed to help you understand what is required for migration, and how to complete and lodge application forms.
    See: Information Booklets
  • Departmental staff can assist you. You can also telephone or visit the department and staff can explain what is required in your application. At some overseas locations, you may be able to contact a Service Delivery Partner to seek information on how to lodge a visa application.
    See: Contact Us

If you read up enough you will be fine. There have been a couple of visas refused recently due to silly mistakes, but I think that is often people who's first language isn't English not fully understanding what is written. There are the odd times when an agent is worth it, but that is more where things are a little complicated.

Feel free to put your general info up on here if you are ever worried and any questions. If it looks like you need an agent people will tell you, otherwise just save yourself the money.

Agree with the above advice.. no agent needed if your case is not weird/complex. Now procedure is quite straightened up and quite clearly defined. Follow what they say and in under an year you should have your PR!

From the saved money you can buy yourself a >=55" 3D LED in Oz. :)

Hi Shar ,i hired an agent ,then after about 6 weeks realized that the one I was using didn't seem to know as much as myself,i done my homework and research and thought they would be the support i was after,but it turns out that you still have to do 99% of the work yourself and you end up answering your own questions if you read and then read again you can fill in the forms fine as long as your case is fairly straight forward.I ended the instructions with my agent and started myself (no outcome yet,lol).

It really is a confidence thing ,because i really didn't think i could do it,but am now quite proud that i could.If you want that extra bit of support and guidance then use an agent but get lots of info on them first and pay in stages so you can jump ship like myself if you are not happy.Agents are not cheap but can be invaluable if you have a problem.

good luck.

You don't need a migration agent and he or she has no influence over whether you will be issued with your visa or not.

See Booklet 6

Totally agree with Mary, these agents give you the impression that they have a say in issuing visa, but once you pay their fees they show their true face that includes MARA registered agents too.

If your case is straight forward, do it yourself and follow all the steps that were mentioned by Mary. Before you do anything I suggest do IELTS first because some people seem to have a hard time getting 7 in all bands and I think that's the only exam you have to take lodge for oz visa.

Good Luck!