Education level required for skills test?

thomas159

Hi All,

I am looking to apply for the subclass 190 visa and manage to get the 60 points required on the skills test but I have been told by 2 migration agents that a HND or diploma level is required and another has said that a degree level is required to be eligible for the skills test. I have 3 -Levels and not sure whether they count for anything (Can't see what the Aussie equivalent would be) and also whether my industry qualification would count for anything? I am also looking to go for my CCNA but again I'm not sure if this is worth doing if it won't count for anything despite being a highly regarding industry qualification.

Age - 27

Occupation - Customer service officer(SOL) (certifications - CompTIA A+) Knowledgeable with Windows OS, and Macintosh.

Work experience -3 Years in IT Support

Education - 3 A-Levels

I appreciate there's probably a lot of these type of posts but some clarity on what level of education is actually required would really help! :arghh:

Thanks all

You haven't got a chance, sorry, but you don't. That is what hubbie did in the uk, and does here. He had qualifications from the uk and from oz, but it just isn't a job that can be sponsored for (his employer here tried).

A-levels are the same as high school qualifications here so don't mean a thing either.

Most of hubbies work mates were actually surprised he even got the job (he works at an ISP) as most of them have degrees.

My job would come under - ICT Customer Support Officer - 313112

I'm struggling to find out what industry qualifications would be equivalent to a degree as I think this may be the best route to go down.

The TRA website seems based more to trades rather than ICT where as the ACS website which I would of thought would be better to asses this list the equivalent industry qualifications but Im not sure they would be relevant with TRA

Hi All,

I am looking to apply for the subclass 190 visa and manage to get the 60 points required on the skills test but I have been told by 2 migration agents that a HND or diploma level is required and another has said that a degree level is required to be eligible for the skills test. I have 3 -Levels and not sure whether they count for anything (Can't see what the Aussie equivalent would be) and also whether my industry qualification would count for anything? I am also looking to go for my CCNA but again I'm not sure if this is worth doing if it won't count for anything despite being a highly regarding industry qualification.

Age - 27

Occupation - Customer service officer(SOL) (certifications - CompTIA A+) Knowledgeable with Windows OS, and Macintosh.

Work experience -3 Years in IT Support

Education - 3 A-Levels

I appreciate there's probably a lot of these type of posts but some clarity on what level of education is actually required would really help! :arghh:

Thanks all

The occupation is not on the SOL, it is on the CSOL. This means it is eligible for immigration but only with sponsorship by either an employer or a state.

The details of what is required can be found here, sometimes it is not black and white as sometimes experience can substitute for qualifications. Probably the only way you can find this out is to pursue a skills assessment and you need to do that with TRA as the skills assessing body.

Before you do that, I would recommend you see if the occupation is on any of the state sponsorship lists. Not much point getting a skills assessment if nobody is sponsoring.

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/i/ict-customer-support-officer.htm

Edited by Rupert

My job would come under - ICT Customer Support Officer - 313112

I'm struggling to find out what industry qualifications would be equivalent to a degree as I think this may be the best route to go down.

The TRA website seems based more to trades rather than ICT where as the ACS website which I would of thought would be better to asses this list the equivalent industry qualifications but Im not sure they would be relevant with TRA

The problem you have here is most likely the assesing authority, TRA for your current occupation. When being assessed by the ACS you can use professional qualifications in lieu of higher level academic qualifications so I'd be looking at targeting an ICT occupation assessed by ACS, eg. Computer Network and Systems Engineer (263111)

When I had my assesment completed I submitted a HNC in computing (2 years, part time) and a myriad of Microsoft certifications, including MCTS and MCITP qualifications (although only the MCTS was required to meet the requirement). Both the HNC and my Microsoft Certifications were assesed as meeting the requirement and I gained 10 points for having a qualification recognised by the assessing authority as part of the assesment.

Your best bet would be to focus in on a specific area in IT, such as networking and gain your CCNA alongside growing your experience. This is likely to be a longer term goal than you'd want but without a degree it's a pain in the ass (I also only had one A level before i did my HNC). You need to make sure that your job titles, descriptions and duties align to the qualifications you obtain, so that you can show relevant experience alongside the academic progress.

As always, my advice above is amateur. If you want proper advice from someone who knows what they're talking about consult a MARA registered migration agent.

Good luck!

MancGeek, currently sunning myself in Perth :biggrin: