WHV Questions

I did it! I finally took that step and sent through my application for a WHV, with the intention of arriving in Aus on 1st July 2013.

I have a few questions that might help me with with my preliminary plans over the next few months:

How long on average did it take you to hear back on your WHV applications?

Did anyone have any issues with the medical/health type questions. I have suffered from depression in the past and put that down on my application. Does that affect the application at all? I've no convictions, never deported from any countries etc, good record, working person etc.

I'm well on my way to getting my minimum funds of $5k so that's not too much of an issue.

My biggest thing really is knowing where to start, should I plan my route or wing it? I know some people out there in Perth, and have friends dotted around the country, so I'd like to visit them. My two initial ideas were to start in Victoria and travel up the coast to Sydney, Brisbane, up to Darwen, to Alice Springs and Uluru (which are absolute musts to see on my trip - of course :)) and then travel across to Perth. The other idea was to make base in Perth and then travel from there.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how they planned their trip.

Hi

My visa got granted within 30 minutes, and my mates got accepted within 4 hours, so I guess it can vary, I would say that you previously having depression would not affect your visa application :) The route that we are looking to do is to arrive in Sydney for NYE then travel up the east coast, then to Darwin, into the centre, then to Perth, then down south then work back up to sydney :)

but that could all change when we arrive :)

I did mine a fair few years ago but I did my year roughly like this:

Flew into Sydney. Stayed there for around 6 months to work.

Went up to Byron Bay for a few weeks.

Back down by bus through Sydney, down to Coffs Harbour, Canberra, Melbourne, Philip Island, Adelaide and Broken Hill (really loved it there!)

Bus up to Coober Pedy (hated it there!), Uluru, Alice Springs etc. Flew over to

Perth - stayed for a couple of months working.

Bus up the west coast taking in Monkey Mia, Broome etc.

Carried on the bus to Darwin, did Katherine Gorge, Kakadu etc. Flew over to

Cairns - bussed down the East Coast stopping at places like Magnetic Island, a 3 day Whitsundays cruise and Fraser Island.

Back to Sydney

Sure you will have a whale of a time whatever you do. It's good to be flexible as you will meet so many people as you go and plans change. Sure you will have the time of your life - I know I did and it planted the seed that meant I wanted to come back and make it my home :)

Just to add another route into the mix, we started in Perth, went down to the south coast, up through the.goldfields, back to the west coast, up to ningaloo reef MUST DO, onwards to broome, then the Gibb river road and Kimberly region, down to bungle bungles, up to Darwin, down to uluru and docket river, where we worked for a bit, back up and over east to Townsville, up the Bloomfield track to cooktown via cairns (many times), back down past Townsville to brissie, through Sydney and the blue mountains, to Vic and some fruit picking, down to Melbourne, across to adelside where we currently are, and will go back to Perth to sell the camper, then fly back to Adelaide. We started last Feb, so took a year with a couple of stops for work. You can.get all of that with.far more detail on our website - second link in my Sig. We started in Perth as that's where we knew someone and where we had lined up to buy our camper from, it was a nice base to ease into Ozzie life, but in retrospect if we did it again, I probably would have left wa for last as for us it was by far the best and nogjing has really come vlose since then...but that's just us maybe - we live bush camping and nature and BIG natural things, which wa has in spades :)

I did it! I finally took that step and sent through my application for a WHV, with the intention of arriving in Aus on 1st July 2013.

I have a few questions that might help me with with my preliminary plans over the next few months:

How long on average did it take you to hear back on your WHV applications?

Did anyone have any issues with the medical/health type questions. I have suffered from depression in the past and put that down on my application. Does that affect the application at all? I've no convictions, never deported from any countries etc, good record, working person etc.

I'm well on my way to getting my minimum funds of $5k so that's not too much of an issue.

My biggest thing really is knowing where to start, should I plan my route or wing it? I know some people out there in Perth, and have friends dotted around the country, so I'd like to visit them. My two initial ideas were to start in Victoria and travel up the coast to Sydney, Brisbane, up to Darwen, to Alice Springs and Uluru (which are absolute musts to see on my trip - of course :)) and then travel across to Perth. The other idea was to make base in Perth and then travel from there.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how they planned their trip.

Hey,

I applied yesterday, and actually heard back within the hour! Was amazed at how fast it was as expected atleast a week waiting.

Me and my mate are looking at starting in perth, mainly because have a friend who lives there, so good contact to start with. But we have had few friends go/start there and always done well in perth.

Benvo

My whv took about 30 days due to a minor criminal conviction. My other few mates, theirs came back within few hours. What's your long term plans? Just do the 1 or 2 years or do you have pans to stay. I came on whv with intention of staying, just meant I could be here waiting on visas etc to be granted. I'm in perth and haven't been out of WA as of yet, so much to see and do just in WA. Either way... Have a great time..

There are no rights or wrongs about travelling in and around Australia. I started off in Perth because I arranged a part flight/part ship route via Singapore. You might meet up with some people in a hostel somewhere and travel around OZ with them in a car/van or you might do it on your own by bus/train, whatever, or a combination.

My only advice is to try to travel inland rather than the coastal route so beloved of most people, and DON'T spend all your time mixing with other travellers in hostels/pubs, etc. Try and meet some 'real' Aussies!

Matty91

Hi

My visa got granted within 30 minutes, and my mates got accepted within 4 hours, so I guess it can vary, I would say that you previously having depression would not affect your visa application
:)
The route that we are looking to do is to arrive in Sydney for NYE then travel up the east coast, then to Darwin, into the centre, then to Perth, then down south then work back up to sydney

but that could all change when we arrive

There are no rights or wrongs about travelling in and around Australia. I started off in Perth because I arranged a part flight/part ship route via Singapore. You might meet up with some people in a hostel somewhere and travel around OZ with them in a car/van or you might do it on your own by bus/train, whatever, or a combination.

My only advice is to try to travel inland rather than the coastal route so beloved of most people, and DON'T spend all your time mixing with other travellers in hostels/pubs, etc. Try and meet some 'real' Aussies!

(this is going to be an abridged version of the post I was going to submit, because the page glitched out on me for some reason and I lost my post - grrr)

My original intention was to travel down the east coast, covering the major cities. I especially want to see Brisbane. I don't particularly want to stay in Sydney or Melb for longer than a few weeks, but I have friends I want to visit and I'd love to see the cities. I have a flexible approach. I'd like to do some camping, stay in hostels and a house share once I get to Perth (where I'm intending to settle the longest, as I have friends there).

Duration - I'd like to do the 2 year visa, so was intending to try and fill the criteria for qualifying for that one soon after I arrive. My job at the moment, and for the last 10 years has been in admin, highest qual is uni cert in business admin/admin management. I'm not sure and very much doubt I could stay longer because I'm not qualified for anything under the skilled jobs list. I doubt I could study because I know I'm not entitled to student loans/tuition fee loans over there and couldn't afford to pay it myself.

Questions - just a couple. I received my first email back from immigration last night which slightly worried me. I declared that I suffered from depression and they need a physicians report from my doctor. The depression in question was 2 years ago, and I was off work for 3 months, on meds and seeing a counsellor. The doctor said I was fit to return to work and I stopped taking meds a couple of months afterwards.

My main worry is that I went to see them again a couple of months ago. I felt I was suffering from SAD at the time, and felt it was manageable. I agreed to try meds again (a very mild dose), but felt I didn't need them, and was referred to a counsellor for a refresher. I never received my referral from counsellor and stopped taking the meds about a week and half after prescribed because they made me feel ill. I didn't go back to the doctor because I didn't feel I needed a follow up, as I was feeling better. But, because it was so recent, do you think it could affect my application, or do they just want to know if I'm going to be 'costly'?

Also, re: money. How many of you had your bank statements/financial paperworked checked on entry to the country? I've heard that not that many people get checked and it's usually random. I'm well on the way to saving what I need but because of uncertainty with one avenue of money (severance payment that I've applied for and is being assessed), I'm worried I might be a little short.

I think you should just go to your doctor and be honest with him and tell him what you need from him, and explain that this document is important in order for you to travel round Australia.

In regards to the money, I have heard the same about them not checking you, but do it on a random basis, so what I will be doing is printing off my statement of my Australian bank account (open before I leave) to show the funds are already there, and statements of my UK bank accounts to show I have back up money if needed

I think you should just go to your doctor and be honest with him and tell him what you need from him, and explain that this document is important in order for you to travel round Australia.

In regards to the money, I have heard the same about them not checking you, but do it on a random basis, so what I will be doing is printing off my statement of my Australian bank account (open before I leave) to show the funds are already there, and statements of my UK bank accounts to show I have back up money if needed

Thanks :) I bobbed into the docs to book an appointment yesterday. and asked about obtaining the report. I can't see the doctor until next Friday, so I guess I just have to wait it out now.

Sure everyone has answered all your questions but just in case they haven't...

We have been in Sydney for 3 months on our WHV's, there is a lot of work for someone with admin experience so you should be fine in Sydney.

We printed off our UK statement and our Oz bank statement with funds in, no one asked to check at immigration. Never heard of anyone being checked either.

You'll be fine, good luck with it all :)

• 1 month later...

Archived