De facto / spouse visa

Guest Georgie Boy

Guest Georgie Boy

Alright there folks.

I'm new to this site but have not yet seen anybody applying for the above visa (47sp).

We're at the stage where we've collated, printed and completed as much of the form filling as possible.. Police checks have been done, almost got the Statutory Declarations filled in but still have a lot more to.

Anywho, once we've put more ink to paper, lodged our application and got the health checks/x-rays sorted just wondered if anyone new if there was a minimum/maximum time limit for the acknowledgment (if there is one) through to completion - hoping there's no need for an AoS, that would be a right pain in the... :shock:

Feels like such an obvious question but have yet to find any answers on the net - obviously I'll keep searchin' for me...and ya'll!!!

Guest tharg69

Hi.

We have just got our de facto spouse visa back and it took about 3 weeks in total from posting to receiving the news. I know this may be exceptional as I'm an Australian citizen as are our two kids.........Good Luck. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am married to an Australian and Moving back to OZ in Jan 06 :D . I just need help with my application. Is it best to complete the Spouses visa in Australia or should I complete and pay from England? :?:

I have been back in England for a year and have found it very hard to settle and relax! It is miserable and we are always skint! :x

Good luck to everyone moving to Oz

• 4 years later...
Guest andity27

hey i am currently applying for my visa i lived in the uk and have moved to live with my partner about 3 yrs ago i am currently on a working holiday visa what i need to know is how many bank statements should i provide and should i copy entire bank statements or just the fisrt page with both our names on there and the dates ect ugh i am so stressed trying to get this right help please!! and congrats to those who have been here and done this

Hi Guys

This is the experience I have picked up from here, defacto seems to be quicker and cheaper to do offshore and there are loads of us that have had them granted really quickly. There are a few other defacto threads so you should get what you need, if not pm. Jen x

Guest Guest31881
hey i am currently applying for my visa i lived in the uk and have moved to live with my partner about 3 yrs ago i am currently on a working holiday visa what i need to know is how many bank statements should i provide and should i copy entire bank statements or just the fisrt page with both our names on there and the dates ect ugh i am so stressed trying to get this right help please!! and congrats to those who have been here and done this

Hi, First of all, stop stressing, (we all do it).

I sent 3 from each year, The first one was dated at the start of our relationship. just the front pages showing name and address with date. I sent origionals and copied them for my records. Also photos covering the three years showing us together (dated). :jiggy:

Alright there folks.

I'm new to this site but have not yet seen anybody applying for the above visa (47sp).

We're at the stage where we've collated, printed and completed as much of the form filling as possible.. Police checks have been done, almost got the Statutory Declarations filled in but still have a lot more to.

Anywho, once we've put more ink to paper, lodged our application and got the health checks/x-rays sorted just wondered if anyone new if there was a minimum/maximum time limit for the acknowledgment (if there is one) through to completion - hoping there's no need for an AoS, that would be a right pain in the... :shock:

Feels like such an obvious question but have yet to find any answers on the net - obviously I'll keep searchin' for me...and ya'll!!!

Georgie boy, I just got mine done in 3 days....well actually prob 2 days as sent in last friday morning and got it 2 working days later ! Remember there are new forms from 1st nov so check they are all up to date. Get your uk police and aussie police checks done , medicals and fill in form 80 and send all at once to avoid delays. Most of answers will be in under "defacto" or visa 309/100. 47sp is just the name of one form! make sure you fill out all forms as per the migration booklet.

I sent in 5 stat decs from aussie citizens and say 2 bank statements from each year showing our addresses and money transferring. Send in as much as you want and ask as many questions on here as you want. Everyone is really helpful and helped me so you can send me an individual message anytime for help. Sin:biggrin:

Hi

We are in the same position applying for the spouse visa using 47SP. There are so many diffrent time frames given on this forum - anyhting from 1 month with front loaded applications to 9 months! Think it all depends on how much evidence you put in your application and length and nature of your relationship!

Hi I am married to an Australian and Moving back to OZ in Jan 06 :D . I just need help with my application. Is it best to complete the Spouses visa in Australia or should I complete and pay from England? :?:

I have been back in England for a year and have found it very hard to settle and relax! It is miserable and we are always skint! :x

Good luck to everyone moving to Oz

I wouldn't apply onshore unless you're already in Australia on a visa that allows you to earn a living whilst you wait. Onshore partner visa applications can take anything from a day to 6-9 months so potentially a long time to be without an income!

If you're already in the UK, I'd apply where you are. Judging by the posts here, London has a pretty good turn-around time. Good luck :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sazzlewilson

I'm applying onshore (Im from the UK), and have been here nearly 2 years, been with my partner a year and a half, although had 3 months living apart as I went fruit picking so I could stay for the 2nd year. I hope it doesn't take 9 months to process! I hate the feeling of being in limbo at the moment. Am trying to front load as much as possible, got medicals done, and wiating for police check from england to arrive any day now. only think i'm waiting on then is a police check from egypt as i was there for more that 12 months total, hope it doesn't take too long!!!

Guest rhiannemuir

Hey GeorgieBoy,

I am pretty much in the same situation as you, scary times! From what I have unearthed, they give you a very broad timeframe to cover their backs but it looks like if you're really prepared and frontload with loads of info, it can take a matter of weeks. Hope that's the case for me!

Keep me posted as to how you go,

Good luck!

Guest The Doctor

Hi All,

We are new to the forum and have some very basic questions - sorry - but we would appreciate any help you can give!! We are aplying for the defacto visa - and as you all know there are endless forms to fill out!!

What constitues a certified copy of a passport?

Did you fill out all of the forms yourself or did you pay a company to do this? Would you recommend one way or the other?

Has anyone on this forum had their visa rejected for not filling it out properly? What did you do wrong?

Medical check - if we are applying for the 309 partner visa (first stage) do we need to get the chest xray?

And could someone give me a basic run down of all the costs you incurred in order to lodge this?

We are planning on front loading the visa to get it passed as quick as possible so any tips you have on how to do this efficiently would be great

Thank you for your time

Hi All,

We are new to the forum and have some very basic questions - sorry - but we would appreciate any help you can give!! We are aplying for the defacto visa - and as you all know there are endless forms to fill out!!

What constitues a certified copy of a passport?

We made colour copies of our passports and other certificates (birth, marriage etc.) needed for our application and had these certified. We used a combination of police officers and JPs to certify ours.

Did you fill out all of the forms yourself or did you pay a company to do this? Would you recommend one way or the other?

We did our own, however, I would happily recommend engaging expert help to do this for you to save yourself the stress. If your situation is no straight-forward do contact a qualified migration expert and get advice.

Has anyone on this forum had their visa rejected for not filling it out properly? What did you do wrong?

No idea. I suppose it would depend upon what you missed. At the very least it would result in a delay.

Medical check - if we are applying for the 309 partner visa (first stage) do we need to get the chest xray?

Yes.

And could someone give me a basic run down of all the costs you incurred in order to lodge this?

Will you be applying in the UK? The basic cost for the 309 visa is $1705 or £870 according to http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm'>http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm You'll also need a British Police Certificate at a cost of £35 or £70 if you want the faster service plus police certificates from any other country in which you have spent 12 months or more during the past 10 years.

From what I've read the cost of medicals vary according to where you go to have it done and who you see. The applicant will be need an HIV test, chest X-Ray and the medical as will your dependants if you have any.

We are planning on front loading the visa to get it passed as quick as possible so any tips you have on how to do this efficiently would be great

Everything you need to know is found in the Partner Migration booklet http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf'>http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf and http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/

For health forms and character requirement information start here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/

The rules and forms do change from time-to-time so if you choose to do it all yourself, do make sure you check the DIAC's site for the latest information when you are ready to apply.

Thank you for your time

Best of luck :smile:

Hi Dr.

I wouldnt use an agent unless you are in an exceptional situation....you will find most of us on here went it alone and used PIO as a great reference!!

The forms although they look daunting actually aren't that bad! Use the partner migration booklet and you should be fine.

As happy said costs for medicals differ depending on where you are, mine were cheap, I had them done in Thornton Heath in London. There is a list of approved places you can have them done and they will be able to tell you the costs. They know exactly what you need to have done and there are forms you need to fill in before you go.

I would suggest you go and get a load of passport photos done before you start as everyone wants them for everything!!

The Form 80 which has mixed responses on here is something you might want to add if you want to fully front load, I dont think its as bad as it seems just a bit of a pain! With all the forms just answer honestly and use the notes pages at the back cause if you need to clarify something thats great for it.

My documents were all signed by a police offier (copies) with the exception of the birth certs which had to be done by a lawyer.

Remember the most important thing on a defacto is proving the relationship the immediate 12 months prior to application so photos, bank statements at the same address, travel itineries etc.

Any help needed give me a shout.

Jen

Guest samantha1984

Hi guys. This is my first time on here but everyone seems so helpful so thought id ask a few questions.

Has anyone on here applied for a defact-o only having lived together for 9 months? I came here on January 21st on a working holiday visa, met my bloke within 3 weeks and moved in after 2 months. when i apply for the visa we will have been together 11 months and lived together for 9. We have heaps of proof of this just a couple months short on the living together, what do you guys think?? and please not too many negatives, i'll freak out! haha thanks all!:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Hi guys. This is my first time on here but everyone seems so helpful so thought id ask a few questions.

Has anyone on here applied for a defact-o only having lived together for 9 months? I came here on January 21st on a working holiday visa, met my bloke within 3 weeks and moved in after 2 months. when i apply for the visa we will have been together 11 months and lived together for 9. We have heaps of proof of this just a couple months short on the living together, what do you guys think?? and please not too many negatives, i'll freak out! haha thanks all!

Hello Samantha welcome to PIO. I think a RMA would be better advising you on this one, but just to wish you well, and I am sure you'll get there:wink: ss xx

I have seen mention of them waiving the 12 month living together requirement if you have registered your relationship in Australia but don't know enough about that to point you in any other direction than an RMA as SiamSusie recommended and perhaps the DIAC site.

You might also qualify for a waiver if you have children or other dependants but otherwise, I think you will find that you'll need to wait until you have 12 months worth of evidence of your continuing relationship as a de facto couple immediately prior to lodging your application.

I don't know how you stand re. extending your WHV but you could always try obtaining a tourist visa (no work permit on that one) or have your partner come back to the UK with you to make up the time you need to qualify if you find you need to have 12 months after all.

Good luck :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest samantha1984

Thanks so much for that message. I think what I will do is leave the go to New Zealand for a weekend when my visa runs out then come back on a tourist visa

Alright there folks.

Mine took about 5 days, I dont know whether I was just lucky or what ?:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone here, I am in the stage of applying defacto visa. My fiancee is an Australian PR and myself is an Indonesian who had lived in Singapore for past 8 years. I am a bit confused therefore I need somehelp here. I find that this website is really useful and I think it's better for me to clarify my doubts before submitting the visa.

First of all, since I had been living in Singapore for 8years, do I just obtain police clearance in Singapore or do I need to obtain it from Indonesia as as well?

My fiance and I had been together for past 5 years and engaged in April 2008 and planning to register for marriage end of next year therefore how should we prove that we had been together for 5 years? Are photos good enough?

Last of all, they need 2 witness to prove we had been together for 5 years, are my fiance's parents and siblings allow to be the witness? They are all Australian citizens - as the criteria for the visa.

Thank you so much for spending time to read up my doubts and clarifiy me if i am wrong.

Guest siamsusie
Hey everyone here, I am in the stage of applying defacto visa. My fiancee is an Australian PR and myself is an Indonesian who had lived in Singapore for past 8 years. I am a bit confused therefore I need somehelp here. I find that this website is really useful and I think it's better for me to clarify my doubts before submitting the visa.

First of all, since I had been living in Singapore for 8years, do I just obtain police clearance in Singapore or do I need to obtain it from Indonesia as as well?

My fiance and I had been together for past 5 years and engaged in April 2008 and planning to register for marriage end of next year therefore how should we prove that we had been together for 5 years? Are photos good enough?

Last of all, they need 2 witness to prove we had been together for 5 years, are my fiance's parents and siblings allow to be the witness? They are all Australian citizens - as the criteria for the visa.

Thank you so much for spending time to read up my doubts and clarifiy me if i am wrong.

Hi Rixmai, yes a Police Certificate is required for each country you have lived more than 12 months in.

If you look through your forms you will see the evidence that is required, i.e. photos, airline tickets, holidays together etc. Australians Citizens as you explained your fiance's parents can give statements along with other Australians citizens who know you both to be in a bone fide relationship. As I just stated to another poster, you are to provide basically a case history with supporting evidence of how your relationship developed etc.on going plans etc. Best wishes Susie :wubclub:

Hi Rixmai, yes a Police Certificate is required for each country you have lived more than 12 months in.

If you look through your forms you will see the evidence that is required, i.e. photos, airline tickets, holidays together etc. Australians Citizens as you explained your fiance's parents can give statements along with other Australians citizens who know you both to be in a bone fide relationship. As I just stated to another poster, you are to provide basically a case history with supporting evidence of how your relationship developed etc.on going plans etc. Best wishes Susie :wubclub:

Thank you very much Susie for your extremely quick reply. Just a quick check, can I get the police clearance over in Singapore for my Indonesia record? will that be possible to be done as I am concurently working here and having difficulties to go back to get everything done.

For photos and letter, some are clearly dated however some are not. Would it be good if we gave them a copy of DVD with all our photos from the starting of our relationship, travel history? As right here, we can only view our phone bills for past 3months and we dont keep a copy of our bill once we paid for it. What other documents would probably be good enough to prove our relationship?

I am in sucha dilemma as work, part time school and this visa have got me so worried and anxious.

I truly appreciate your help.

Guest siamsusie
Thank you very much Susie for your extremely quick reply. Just a quick check, can I get the police clearance over in Singapore for my Indonesia record? will that be possible to be done as I am concurently working here and having difficulties to go back to get everything done.

For photos and letter, some are clearly dated however some are not. Would it be good if we gave them a copy of DVD with all our photos from the starting of our relationship, travel history? As right here, we can only view our phone bills for past 3months and we dont keep a copy of our bill once we paid for it. What other documents would probably be good enough to prove our relationship?

I am in sucha dilemma as work, part time school and this visa have got me so worried and anxious.

I truly appreciate your help.

Hi Rixmai, I couldnt comment about Indonesian Police records, maybe you can go into your country's police website and see what can be obtained, failing that ask a friend back home to do it for you. DVD's are not popular with DIAC, so I printed off all pertinent pictures relating to our relationship and this was sufficient. Telephones bills are much harder these days to keep track on eg. telephone cards s are widely used these days, so I kept text/skype conversations, e mails etc.

Basically just be totally honest, thats the best policy, if in doubt about anything give accompanying reasons for omissions under separate cover.

I did my visa myself as many others have done, but you really do need a clear head, and go through it methodically, personally I would establish where to get your Police checks done etc but leave this and your medical until requested by your case officer.

I have just had a look at one web site which states this

Surat Keterangan Catatan Kepolisian (Police Record)" and are usually valid for an average of 6 (six) months. (maybe this has to be translated into English!)

Indonesia's Police Clearance Certificate by Asep Wijaya Wijaya & Co Law Firm, how indate or out of date this information is I couldnt tell you but there is a paragraph on how to obtain your certificate through a third party from the city where you were resident in. Again please remember I am a lay person and hopefully an experienced person can come along to give you better advice.

I sincerely hope that your Visa is successful and please do keep us informed of your progress. Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

Hi Rixmai, I couldnt comment about Indonesian Police records, maybe you can go into your country's police website and see what can be obtained, failing that ask a friend back home to do it for you. DVD's are not popular with DIAC, so I printed off all pertinent pictures relating to our relationship and this was sufficient. Telephones bills are much harder these days to keep track on eg. telephone cards s are widely used these days, so I kept text/skype conversations, e mails etc.

Basically just be totally honest, thats the best policy, if in doubt about anything give accompanying reasons for omissions under separate cover.

I did my visa myself as many others have done, but you really do need a clear head, and go through it methodically, personally I would establish where to get your Police checks done etc but leave this and your medical until requested by your case officer.

I have just had a look at one web site which states this

Surat Keterangan Catatan Kepolisian (Police Record)" and are usually valid for an average of 6 (six) months. (maybe this has to be translated into English!)

Indonesia's Police Clearance Certificate by Asep Wijaya Wijaya & Co Law Firm, how indate or out of date this information is I couldnt tell you but there is a paragraph on how to obtain your certificate through a third party from the city where you were resident in. Again please remember I am a lay person and hopefully an experienced person can come along to give you better advice.

I sincerely hope that your Visa is successful and please do keep us informed of your progress. Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

Thank you Susie. You're helping me so much. I got through phone before I saw this and I need to get it in Indonesia therefore my parents will be helping me. Photos We have tons of it however we dont keep other records much except for flight itenaries and few phone bills as we spoke to each other more thru phones and messages.

I hope I get through everything smoothly. Im going for medical check up next week so hopefully by early January I can submit all documents.

Archived