GCSE equivalents in WA

Fifizzz

Hello, we are planning a 3 year move to WA with our children who are presently 10 (yr 6) and 12 (yr 8). This will cover GCSE year for my eldest. What are the equivalent to GSCE out there? and do they easily transfer for her to do A levels on returning to the UK? Has anyone any experience of this? I'd be grateful for your advice.

There aren't any equivalents, but I do know of people who've brought kids back and managed to get in to do A levels/college courses/BTECs etc. If you're definitely coming back I would probably do the research before you go, so you have some idea where you stand.

Mind you, with our present education minister, who know's what wonderful, ill thought out changes will happen in the next three years!!

Have you thought about letting her stay in UK to finish her GCSEs then A levels. You might have family or friends she could stay with and visit you in the holidays perhaps. Once you commit you really commit until the end of uni because of international fees (unless you can prove it was only ever intended to be temporary ie your contract says so, you maintained your UK employment etc). It's a risk you take that she wouldnt be disadvantaged in the longer run

what do u mean by recognised I did vce and uni in Australia it's never held me back or been raised as an issue with an employer. one girl from my school in Victoria went to England to go to uni so must have been ok for that

I mean does it have an equivalent level in the UK, tbh don't think either of mine are Uni material, but say we came back to the UK would the Aussie HSE, be a higher level than GCSE, but not as high level as an A'Level? If that makes sense. It seems kids going out to Aus seem to be at a disadvantage if they turn up in with only GCSE's as they mean nothing, but coming back is the Aus HSE worth anything in the UK?

You would need a very yr 12 score to get into even a half decent UK uni and some unis say that you would have to do a foundation year if your yr 12 score isnt high enough. If you score in the high 90s then you should be OK but if you do that and havent been in UK for the 3 years prior to starting your degree then you will be up for international fees.

You would need a very yr 12 score to get into even a half decent UK uni and some unis say that you would have to do a foundation year if your yr 12 score isnt high enough. If you score in the high 90s then you should be OK but if you do that and havent been in UK for the 3 years prior to starting your degree then you will be up for international fees.

Thanks for that Quoll, I though that might be the case. My two probably aren't uni material, so probably will be going down the vocational route - so hopefully if we did come back they would have no problems getting onto a course of their choice. I'm not putting them down, but its horses for courses and just don't think Uni will be for them. To be honest neither of mine so far have thrived in their UK Primary school, but I think that is probably down to the school, excellent in some areas but very lacking in others. I'm hoping the Aus system may suit them more - but time will tell. Thanks for your input.

Archived