There Must Be Someting you Liked About Australia??

simmo

Guest chris955

Loads of things I like about Australia, love the wildlife and the rainforests (the bush does nothing for me). Lots of other things, some small and some big.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes I was totally underwhelmed with the bush (a few scraggy old trees and a lot of sweet FA)

Fauna was more impressive. Koala (not bears don't you know) nutting about and kangaroos hopping about...

And the drop bears don't forget them

Guest The Pom Queen
Loads of things I like about Australia, love the wildlife and the rainforests (the bush does nothing for me). Lots of other things, some small and some big.

When did you see rainforests?

I think the only time, we have been really happy here, and enjoyed ourselves was sitting on Sydney Harbour, with a group of Brits and Argentinians we had got chatting to, probably one of our best memories of Aus.A really great night,with lovely people.

But thats like a holiday experience.The reality of living here has been harsh and dissapointing.

We envisaged lots of wildlife (all we ever see is dead here), and a great relaxed lifestyle and that never happened for us.

+1 for the wide parking spaces for my fiesta! Also, powerful showers! Ditto with the bush - sorry, boring as batsh*t to me! Miles and miles of bark drop from some eucalypt totally indistinguishable by the naked eye from any of its neighbours. Even the wildlife got to be big, brash and, frankly, boring.

I feel the need to stick up for Aus here!

I like/love:

My wife and kids

Melbourne for daytrips and nights out

FNQ (specifically Cairns) for lovely holidays and hopefully when the kids are older, trips to the Reef

My house

The suburb we live in, near the Barwon river and with a half decent pub down the road

my son's school

a certain nightspot in Geelong (EW will be familiar with it)

the ABC and SBS

the beaches of Torquay, Ocean Grove, Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale

Guest chris955
When did you see rainforests?

When did I see rainforests ? We had sub tropical rainforests around Brisbane, I spent a lot of time in tropical rainforests in FNQ and there are temperate rainforests in Victoria. Thats quite a strange question really.

I feel the need to stick up for Aus here!

I like/love:

My wife and kids

Melbourne for daytrips and nights out

FNQ (specifically Cairns) for lovely holidays and hopefully when the kids are older, trips to the Reef

My house

The suburb we live in, near the Barwon river and with a half decent pub down the road

my son's school

a certain nightspot in Geelong (EW will be familiar with it)

the ABC and SBS

the beaches of Torquay, Ocean Grove, Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale

The best Bowls Club in Victoria that. That night you won the meat-tray raffle will live long in the memory. Excellent fish supper at the end of it too.

This really vexed me and I gave it a lot of thought but the best I could come up with are the parks in Melbourne. To be fair Australia does parks and childrens' play areas really well and having a BBQ / picnic area in close proximity is great for minimal effort entertaining!

The best Bowls Club in Victoria that. That night you won the in tmeat-tray raffle will live long the memory. Excellent fish supper at the end of it too.

I bet... I'm getting some really disturbing mental images right now..:laugh:

Edited by landv

Guest guest41161

Preston markets.

Room service at Langhams in Melbourne.

My wife.

My V6.

Prawns.

Winter in Brisbane.

Lots of travel with work.

Please don't start with dislikes!

I miss the great after school/holiday club my children had at their school, it was a purpose built facility which was run very well and didnt break the bank. The schools in my area do not have proper out of school hours care so you have to source care through local nurseries. I have a choice of 2 nurseries who would collect my children from school, 1 of them was full so had to go with the other one. Its not great as these places cater mainly for pre school aged children so my children get bored very easily.

The Oz government also refund 50% of your childcare costs regardless of your income. In Uk the refund is based on your income, so if you go over that threshold you might get nothing back. My childcare costs per year is approx £10k for 3 children which I think is horrendous for an hour every day in after school care and full time over holidays. I could use a childminder however what happens if she is sick or goes on holiday, who can look after 3 children at short notice?

Food shopping - the farmer's markets, the fishmongers, the deli, the greengrocer where I am known by the shop keepers, where they'll recommend the freshest produce or the best buys and talk to me about my health and my family like they really care. Okay the supermarkets are rubbish but I only need to go there for tins or beans and loo roll!

IGA's, not for the food shopping but because they remind me so much of holiday camp shops, selling all kinds of weird and wonderful things. And then this week there was a sign up saying 'whole pigs for sausages $6 a kilo' where would you see that in the UK

Spring and Autumn weather

Community schools (and my sons school in particular) of which nothing anywhere similar exists in the UK

The efficiency of the healthcare system (but I won't miss the cost!)

Bush camping with other families, children barefoot, filthy and happy

Casual get togethers in someone's backyard, bring the children and bring a plate

(The last two I hope I can bring home with me in spirit)