Aussie Driving Licence

sparrow9999

hi guys

just wondered how we go about getting an aussie driving licence, and do we need to take anything with us apart from our uk driving licenes

sparrow9999

From memory, you need to take a 100 points of ID (passport, UK drivers licence, bill with Australian address on it) as well as evidence of your visa status (passport stamp or grant letter).

There's no such thing as an Aussie driving licence. Each state is responsible for their own so there can be slight differences.

Here in Queensland, it's like Pfirsch described. I had to take my UK driving licence plus 100 points of ID, at least one of which shows your current Australian address.

Oh, and be ready to have your photo taken. My first Aus licence had my worst ever picture .

Aussie Drivers Licences are only for I.D. No one here can actually drive (properly)

But if you want to get one anyway, its like Pfirsch said. UK Licence and 100 point ID. Check the transport dept website for your state to get exact requirements.

In sa they have two lists of Id proof. You need to take one from list a, one from list b and another from either.

I am going to change mine next week and will be taking my passport, car Rego papers and my Medicare card. :-)

See? There's a difference. That list wouldn't do it in Qld--I'd have to add something like a most recent utility bill as proof of home address.

If other states are like Qld it's worth going to the appropriate website which will have a list (or probably two lists like blossom79 mentions) specifying what they need.

See? There's a difference. That list wouldn't do it in Qld--I'd have to add something like a most recent utility bill as proof of home address.

If other states are like Qld it's worth going to the appropriate website which will have a list (or probably two lists like blossom79 mentions) specifying what they need.

Don't car rego papers have an address on them in QLD? :)

Don't car rego papers have an address on them in QLD? :)

They do but they're only renewed every 12 months. The wanted something issued within the past two months. Our rego was at least six months old--whether it would have been acceptable if "fresh" I don't know, but I don't recall it being on the list of documents considered acceptable.

Edit to add: Just checked. They'd accept a rego renewal notice (sent to the right address obviously) but not a rego itself.

Second edit to add: Just found a second list which implies they WILL accept a rego. Confusion from Main Roads sounds typical!

Google 'driving licence ...' (ie your intended state) eg, as I did for NSW

[h=1]New residents of NSW[/h]Home > Licensing > New residents of NSW[h=2]Related links[/h]

If you are a driver or motorcyclist who has moved to NSW - from another Australian State or Territory, or if you have migrated from another country - you will need to make arrangements to get a NSW driver or rider licence.

You can use your existing licence for up to three months, after which you must have a NSW licence in order to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle.

This section tells you how to get a NSW licence. Please note that the process is different for interstate and international drivers.

Archived