Ten pound Pom program!

wattswalkaboutgang

Hi Everyone,

Did anyone watch the program on BBC2 saturday night at 8.20pm about the Ten pound Poms? It was great and interesting to see how everyone got on!

Watch it on BBC - BBC iPlayer - Home if you missed it..

Nice for me as my uncle who is still in Aus went as a Ten pound pom in the 70's, he now lives in NSW as would never come back to the UK to live.

Hi,

It gave a good insight in to how life was like - it seemed quite hard for most migrants! My Great Aunt was also a 10 pound pom back in the 60's, she now lives in Melbourne and says there's no way she could come back to live in the UK now.

Hi Everyone,

Did anyone watch the program on BBC2 saturday night at 8.20pm about the Ten pound Poms? It was great and interesting to see how everyone got on!

BEST TEN QUID I EVER SPENT, been here in NSW for 38 years this year & wouldn't even consider coming back for a holiday at this stage, we flew out here & spent a couple of months on a hostel, what a great adventure, the first few years are the worst after the honeymoon period is over.

Guest Pingpongpom

..thanks wattswalkaboutgang:) ..so much for the info about BBCiPlayer..i missed the program and would really liked to have watched it..i was a ten pound pom in 1966 with my parents and brothers, and have been told by my mum and dad about the adventure and conditions they arrived too..just would be interesting to hear other tales..

Pingpong:cute:or Tess

We did wonder that had we stolen a sheep each wether they would still have deported us. Having said that - best money we've ever spent in getting here. We've met a couple of £10 poms and they've said it was a real struggle in the early days of their migration

Ali

Never a truer work spoken there!!! That is exactly what i said to my OH. I so wish it was only costing us all only £10. You would think that as they apparently want us all there that it would be in their best interest to make it a little less complicated and way cheaper than it is. It's cost us at least £10'000 and then you need money when you get there, as far as i know there isn't any help from the Aussie goverment to help you settle?

If only my parents had gone over when my uncle did in the 70's!! better late than never i supiose.

Kind Regards Ali

Hi Skippy,I'm sure my uncle would say the same! He's in NSW also not far from Lismore, lots of rain there still i hear! I loved the program it was so interesting to see how differently people reacted to their surroundings. Strange how some like it and some can't wait to get back to the UK. We are hoping that we love it! My uncle came back for the first time about 2 years ago, nice to see everyone but couldn't live in the UK again, too cold for him. I didn't remember him as i was only around 7 when he left so it was great to meet him, keep in touch now he will be my only connection is Aus to my side of the family so that'll help. Kind regards Alison

Guest maxxangel

Wouldn't mind seeing that. The speaker on my laptop is next to useless though. Have to see if I can get to my dad's before it finishes in 5 days.

Wouldn't mind seeing that. The speaker on my laptop is next to useless though. Have to see if I can get to my dad's before it finishes in 5 days.

pretty much everyone's laptop will have a slot to plug in headphones with a 5mm jack. try external speakers through that - or headphones in extremis... but that'd make for lonely viewing!

Hi Skippy,I'm sure my uncle would say the same!

Alison, I'm sure he would, when it comes down to migrants, we came here when they were needing them, not feeding them as they are doing with some of the so called refugees these days.

The hostels were like army camps with nissan huts which provided families with accomodation until they found there own places and found their way around, something like the old Butlins holiday camps without the entertainment.

As everyone was in a similar situation, there was always someone who could give information on just about everything, so it was far easier than it is today where you have to find somewhere to live & find your own way around.

We were sent to the Illawarra by mistake, because the steelworks were very short of workers, I wanted to stay in Sydney, but accomodation had been provided for us and we were told that we could go back to Sydney after the weekend.

Once we saw the Illawarra we decided to stay, see the pics I put on the NSW part of PIO [sydney Suburbs]. :yes:

Archived