desperate to move to australia!

clairestuart

hi i am a married mum of 3 and desperate to move to australia we currently live in scotland. I just feel their is nothing left here for my kids when they grow up and i so want to be able to have more family time all 4 of us! My husband is an electrical supervisor in the shipyards he has recently done all the up to date electrical legislation courses and passed. How hard would it be for him to get a job in oz canny anyone help? ideally we would be looking for someone to sponsor him to come over and work for them then that way it is a quicker process.

I no plenty of people say the same thing as ive just done but we are both very commited to going to australia with our kids.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to give me :)

claire x

As an electrcian I think he would get a job but would have to do relevant courses in oz first to be qualified over there. Not 100% sure though as I'm mechanical.

There are shipyards in Perth(BAE), Adelaide(ASC) and Williamstown(BAE) as far as I'm aware so he could apply for work in there.

Out of Interest what yard is he in? I currently work in Scotstoun Glasgow.

Just out of interest, and because this is commonly said by people wishing to emigrate, why do you think moving here will suddenly provide you with more 'family time'?

If anything you are likely to have to work hard to establish things that you have taken for granted as having already set up where you are, commuting times are often far longer, wages are not necessarily higher and cost of living in some places can be greater... if you want more family time it is possible to have it in any country, its just the case of making that time in your schedule.

Just out of interest, and because this is commonly said by people wishing to emigrate, why do you think moving here will suddenly provide you with more 'family time'?

If anything you are likely to have to work hard to establish things that you have taken for granted as having already set up where you are, commuting times are often far longer, wages are not necessarily higher and cost of living in some places can be greater... if you want more family time it is possible to have it in any country, its just the case of making that time in your schedule.

Could'nt agree with you more actually.It never ceases to amaze me how many people state they want more family/quality time and think moving to Oz will guarantee them this.(apologies to OP)but people work just as hard (and in some cases harder)in Australia than what they do in the UK.From what I have read on this forum,re your husbands work?Don't quote me but I don't think he can walk straight into an electricians job in Oz.I think he will have to re train first whilst there.Please don't take that as gospel though,I could of mis read it as meaning something else.

Getting sponsorship is VERY hard, notoriosly so for trades, particularly electricians. The better option would be skilled migration. However, he should be aware that he will need to get a licence here. That can take upto a year.

As others have pointed out, you should think carefully about the reasons you want to migrate. Working hours can be long - longer than the UK. Annual leave is less as the normal is 20 days per year and the cost of living high.

You are going to need a substantial amount of money to fund the move and living while your husband gets a licence.

As for if its good for children. I dont think it is much different. Yes, Perth has for the last few years had more jobs, but that has started to change recently and unemployment is starting to go up. What it will be like by the time your children are adults is impossible to say

hi i am a married mum of 3 and desperate to move to australia we currently live in scotland. I just feel their is nothing left here for my kids when they grow up and i so want to be able to have more family time all 4 of us! My husband is an electrical supervisor in the shipyards he has recently done all the up to date electrical legislation courses and passed. How hard would it be for him to get a job in oz canny anyone help? ideally we would be looking for someone to sponsor him to come over and work for them then that way it is a quicker process.

I no plenty of people say the same thing as ive just done but we are both very commited to going to australia with our kids.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to give me :)

claire x

Take a look at BAE in Williamstown they are kitting out 2 new Canberra class helicopter landing vessels, I had a job there pending the granting of my ARTC certificate for my trade , which came too late as the positions had been filled :( The money was not great but its 3 years worth of work and they have loads going on Oz wide , they have a big project in Henderson in WA, SA and other parts of Oz

I could not agree with you more! Australia seems to have turned very American to me, work , work , work , seems to be losing that work/lifestyle balance

very quickly. Many people think that they will spend a few hours everyday rolling around on the beach, but end up stuck in the office :( and its deffo getting worse as the economy tightens , as employers look for more productivity from the chimps :(

Could'nt agree with you more actually.It never ceases to amaze me how many people state they want more family/quality time and think moving to Oz will guarantee them this.(apologies to OP)but people work just as hard (and in some cases harder)in Australia than what they do in the UK.

It does vary quite a bit - maybe depending on location and type of employment. Some posters on here say they definitely have more family time since coming to Australia. A very recent poster on the Tasmanian forum said her husband has 3 more hours a day with the children than he had in his London life. However, I agree that it cannot be guaranteed. Commuting times can be the killer if you are living in a large metropolitan area.

Austal shipbuilders in Henderson do all the navy stuff. I tend to disagree whilst I work more hours in the week I get weekends off with the misses and our income is so much more over here than the UK, yes it's dearer to live but for us it's been a fantastic move and it has certainly lived up to its hype.

Also the working day is different you start earlier and finish earlier so evenings are better.

It does vary quite a bit - maybe depending on location and type of employment. Some posters on here say they definitely have more family time since coming to Australia. A very recent poster on the Tasmanian forum said her husband has 3 more hours a day with the children than he had in his London life. However, I agree that it cannot be guaranteed. Commuting times can be the killer if you are living in a large metropolitan area.

Never mind the kids, I dont have enough time to surf LOL!!!

Archived