Stupid for speeding!

Mirmai

:policeman: Stupidly I put my foot down when approaching a 60mph area, and received the notice this morning.

we're also in the process of applying for a 189 visa . Does anyone know if this notice will effect us getting this visa in any way??

Cheers for any info x

Please dont worry it wont affect anything.

I too got a fine through, 2 months before our visa came round. In fact depending on what speed you were doing there may be no fine, only a speeding awareness course, which you dont even have to tell insurance in the UK

Please dont worry it wont affect anything.

I too got a fine through, 2 months before our visa came round. In fact depending on what speed you were doing there may be no fine, only a speeding awareness course, which you dont even have to tell insurance in the UK

I think that it could come back to bite you in the proverbial if you don't disclose attendance of a speed awareness seminar to your insurance company......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860

Thanks for replying guys. Was doing 42 in 30 area (you cant believe the shame I'm feeling as I'm typing), I think that may be too much for the course, so am expecting points and a fine (no other convictions or offences to my name in 13 years of driving!). Living in a rural area, there are no warning signs, just hidden police vans!

You don't need to worry about a speeding ticket affecting your visa and you definitely don't need to declare it to the Australian government. They're only concerned with criminal charges that involve a prison term of more than 12 months.

As someone else mentioned earlier though, speeding is a huge deal here. In Victoria, you can get a ticket for going as little as 3 km over the speed limit. A friend of mine (from overseas) drove from Sydney to Melbourne about a month ago. Coming from the States where there is a larger leeway (usually up to 9-10 mph over, at least on freeways) and being unaware of how strict speeding enforcement is here, he was going close to 120 km/h in a 100 zone. He was eventually pulled over and given a fine of just over $500. If he had not been driving a rental car (and had an overseas licence) they would have impounded the car and suspended his licence on the spot.

I was doing 137kph in a 100kph limit in the middle of the outback coming home from a farm after a long day at work... The only other car on the road was coming towards me a distance away...... I slowed down but it was too late, that only other car was a police car and as soon as I looked BAM!! sirens on. Its my only ever speeding fine in 11 years and I was just tired and wanted to get home quick (there was nothing i could hit / hurt and I very rarely speed)

$500 later and a stern warning later I was free to go!!! luckily I still had my UK licence otherwise I would have been given 9 dermerits too... Also another 3 k's an hour would have resulted in the car being towed and me having to go court...

Lesson learned..

OP Dont worry about the fine....

Archived