Best areas/places to live in Aus?

russ and claire

Just out of curiosity but where do you think is the best areas/places in Aus to bring up kids, work (Russ mental health nurse) cost of living, fights for rentals/costs of houses?

We are planning to move to Perth as we have friends there but on the forum, there seems to be quite a bit of negativity regarding Perth costs/rentals/housing.

Claire

I thin you will struggle to get many useful, objective answers tbh. Especially when it comes to things like "best place to bring up kids"

Concentrate on where you think you are best placed to find work and where you have friends (for a support network). If you are skint and/or isolated it won't matter if you are in the best place ever for kids or housing, you'll still have a rough time

It's a very individual question. What suits me may not suit you.

We are a family with 2 young boys living in Manly. We LOVE it. For us it is paradise. Still I am aware of the disadvantages - traffic to CBD, cost of living etc. We don't mind living in a unit since our backyard is the ocean and the great Manly coffee shops, playgrounds etc. Others would prefer to live in a big house with a 'real' backyard while having to drive to the beach and other places.

It really does depend on you at the end of the day. My best recommendation - Get to the city of choice (i.e. Sydney / Melbourne), rent a car and start driving around to see what suits your personal style.

I would not take into account a lot of what you here on this site regarding Perth. They are comments from a selective few that really should not of ever left England in the first in my opinion. I'm Australian and I'm not yet to hear stories from actual Aussies that have a hard time there. They enjoy Perth and have successfully made it there home, earning good money and having a great lifestyle.

In saying this though, brisbane has everything you would need for a great family lifestyle. So much to do within driving distance to make for a great lifestyle.brisbane always has my vote. :biggrin:

Being a mental health nurse should allow you options. Being WA born and haven lived a considerable time in WA ..in answer to the above ....Perth can present a certain"lifestyle"....not a favourite word of mine.....but it comes at a price. Do your research. Look at the price of rents,which look set to tale off again due to only 1.9% vacancey rate........look at house prices...this has been rated the 12th most expensive city in the world..... .and make an informed choice.

Being a mental health nurse should allow you options. Being WA born and haven lived a considerable time in WA ..in answer to the above ....Perth can present a certain"lifestyle"....not a favourite word of mine.....but it comes at a price. Do your research. Look at the price of rents,which look set to tale off again due to only 1.9% vacancey rate........look at house prices...this has been rated the 12th most expensive city in the world..... .and make an informed choice.

12th most expensive city in the world maybe. Did you say what the average wage is in Perth to cover the costs of the living and why so many people live very comfortably throughout areas of Perth. It's is actually all about lifestyle preference and that's why Perth is now becoming so popular because of the lifestyle which can be lead there

12th most expensive city in the world maybe. Did you say what the average wage is in Perth to cover the costs of the living and why so many people live very comfortably throughout areas of Perth. It's is actually all about lifestyle preference and that's why Perth is now becoming so popular because of the lifestyle which can be lead there

So nurses are paid more because the average wage is high are they?

Did i say that in my comment? Are you saying you couldn't afford to live in Perth on a nurses income.

I don't know.......I don't want to live there.

....but what is the point of saying it is an expensive place but that's OK because average wages are high?.......nurses are paid according to government agreements so the average means nothing to them.

I don't know.......I don't want to live there.

....but what is the point of saying it is an expensive place but that's OK because average wages are high?.......nurses are paid according to government agreements so the average means nothing to them.

In saying it was 12 most expensive place in world to live I was quoting a previous post. I dont see it as being much different to other capitals in perth unless you decide to live beyond your means.I believe myself you could live a comfortable enough life in Perth on a nurses income just as nurses do in Melbourne, brisbane and Sydney.

An example. My brothers labourer is on $37 a hour. He lives comfortably in his opinion in perth. He will not return brisbane in the near future. Always fishing, surfing, jet skiing and able to provide for his young son.

Best place to bring up children. England. Where they have extended family, Europe on the doorstep and countryside to run around in.

Well that's on topic isn't it?

I think its very personal, most of us enjoy where we live so cannot imagine anyone wanting to live anywhere else.

For us, it's the mornington peninsula, it's been melbournes playground for nearly a century so heaps to do. Property inland is affordable by Melbourne standards, there is not much traffic inland towards our places of work, good primary school and beaches to the left and right. And lots of wine!

Obviously you would settle in the city where there is a demand for your skill. Then take into account cost of living etc....with 3 kiddies you would probably be looking at a 4x2 really. You can get 4x2s in Perth for $450-$550pw but there will be a big compettion...obviously the higher you go the lesser the competition.don't forget council rates are included and you only pay for water consumption. Something to think of is I know daycare here is rare as hens teeth and very costly....we like Perth it has everything we want out of life. We don't all live on $200k per yr!

In saying it was 12 most expensive place in world to live I was quoting a previous post. I dont see it as being much different to other capitals in perth unless you decide to live beyond your means.I believe myself you could live a comfortable enough life in Perth on a nurses income just as nurses do in Melbourne, brisbane and Sydney.

An example. My brothers labourer is on $37 a hour. He lives comfortably in his opinion in perth. He will not return brisbane in the near future. Always fishing, surfing, jet skiing and able to provide for his young son.

A lot of folk find the going tough in Perth. I agree to a point that it is skewered rather towards what may have once been termed blue collar jobs......Perth is well known as a place for cashed up Bogans. Not saying your brother is ..just stating fact.

Perth has become increasingly unaffordable to many I know in middle class positions, mostly due to inflated housing market and rents. Not to mention eating out etc. We are not as own our house, have no debts but still feel the impact of the massive increase in living as our salaries have not kept abreast of the rises.

Perhaps an ok place for tradies and folk who are content with an overpriced but simple if slightly dull life of beach,surfing etc.....but far from meeting everyone's needs.

Best place to bring up children. England. Where they have extended family, Europe on the doorstep and countryside to run around in.

What's with the "countryside to run around in", there's far more "countryside to run around in" here than that northern hemisphere pimple.

A lot of folk find the going tough in Perth. I agree to a point that it is skewered rather towards what may have once been termed blue collar jobs......Perth is well known as a place for cashed up Bogans. Not saying your brother is ..just stating fact.

Perth has become increasingly unaffordable to many I know in middle class positions, mostly due to inflated housing market and rents. Not to mention eating out etc. We are not as own our house, have no debts but still feel the impact of the massive increase in living as our salaries have not kept abreast of the rises.

Perhaps an ok place for tradies and folk who are content with an overpriced but simple if slightly dull life of beach,surfing etc.....but far from meeting everyone's needs.

Cashed up bogans ?? There called Aussies. Don't judge a book by its cover. Success comes to those that are determined. We are not in a little english village now. Majority of poms you will find actually love the beach and lifestyle it brings, both blue collar and trades people. Each to there own and all that.....

I have lived in Canberra since May 2008 when I first came to Australia (aside from a short 18 month tenure in Auckland) and I find it perfect for what I and my partner like to do, what we want from life, and having 2 young kids is great for bringing the little ankle biters up.

Our salaries are pretty decent, and we have a good life.

The coast is a couple of hours away, good friends, good family, plenty of amenities if you care to go out and find them. Traffic jams last hardly a blink of an eye (mostly).

This is perfect for us, but may not be perfect for you. Everyone's view is very different on what they would like so if you get to come over and recce the place, it is probably a good idea to tie in as many places as you can to get a good feel.

Archived