Best areas/places to live in Aus?

russ and claire

Thanks for the replies :)

Canberra wouldn't be an option as we have to live by the sea. I did say to Russ that we could always start in Perth (depending on jobs) as we have close friends there but if we don't enjoy it then we can always try another area of Aus. Melbourne maybe an option, will look at jobs in either areas.

Like most of you said, it is difficult for people to advise as we all have different tastes.

Claire

I would start off in Perth if you can get work there, as you have good friends living there which can make a big difference to you settling in. They can then share their experiences and views with you. I wouldn't underestimate the familiarity and support good friends can give when you move to the other side of the world!

We live in Melbourne which we obviously like. However IMO if you want to live close to the beach here then you may have to compromise with proximity to the city ( Melbourne) to get a decent and better value place to live. This can then have implications on commuting time / collecting kids from childcare etc..

we have friends who live in Adelaide and I believe it is a bit cheaper to live there. They really like it there and have bought a lovely house close to the bay for a reasonable amount.

If you can't decide, then go where the best job offer is.

Thanks for the replies :)

Canberra wouldn't be an option as we have to live by the sea. I did say to Russ that we could always start in Perth (depending on jobs) as we have close friends there but if we don't enjoy it then we can always try another area of Aus. Melbourne maybe an option, will look at jobs in either areas.

Like most of you said, it is difficult for people to advise as we all have different tastes.

Claire

I haven't lived in Perth but know several people who do and they love it so I wouldn't let comments on here turn me off it. However if you did want to try somewhere else you might consider places outside the Capital cities in any of the States and Territories. Housing is usually cheaper but because nurses are usually paid under state awards you can often end up on what is considered a really good salary in some of the non-Capital areas.

The Illawarra area of NSW is a really good example of somewhere that offers a great coastal lifestyle, temperate climate, superb beaches etc and an easy drive to Sydney. It is also much more affordable than the Capitals (I'm biased though as I grew up there). A lot of people who live in the northern suburbs of Wollongong (part of the Illawarra) work in Sydney but choose to live 'down the coast'.

As others have mentioned, work should be a priority consideration but check out where the work is and then research those places.

Hi Russ and Claire

I have researched just about every corner of Australia - here are my thoughts, for what it's worth. I am a mental health nurse too.

I spent a month is Australia a few years ago and travelled from Sydney up to Cairns during a particularly wet year. I loved the green rainforest and know that I want to have access to that. I also want to live on the coast, as I live on the coast here in the UK and would miss it.

Sydney

We loved Sydney when we visited but ruled it out as a place to live due to cost.

I loved the feel of it though and had a great few days walking around Sydney harbour national park and Manly.

Melbourne

Melbourne was the first city that I researched in any great detail. We had initially intended to move there because my husband DJ's at weekends and he wanted to go somewhere where there was a vibrant music scene. I reluctantly went along with this even though my heart wasn't in it because it was the only Australian city that seemed to get him interested. It quickly became apparent that we wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle we wanted in the city, and to move to an outer suburb defeated the object.

We then started to look at Mornington Peninsular and really liked the look of it. It seemed to offer what we wanted in terms of lifestyle - beach, countryside and cafe culture. However, we worried about work for my OH and we didn't want him to have to commute into Melbourne every day. I also wasn't sure if the weather was quite what I was looking for either.

Perth

So then I got offered a job in Perth (back in 2007). I have a good friend in Perth who loves it and has settled well, so this seemed like a good option. There was plenty of work at the time and the beaches look great.

My main reservation was the fact that it was West coast, when really I wanted to live East coast.

We didn't go in the end due to a bereavement and our plans for Aus were shelved.

Queensland

When we decided to look into emigrating again, we decided to look at Brisbane / Gold coast / Sunshine coast. On our travels we passed through Brisbane without stopping but we both loved the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

Again, work cropped up as a problem. Sunshine coast was completely out and although I could secure work on the GC, we thought OH would end up commuting to Brisbane so as a lifestyle choice, it didn't make sense. I was a little disappointed as I loved the Gc and could really see myself living there ( Not surfers :wink:)

Brisbane was looking like a certainty until Queensland Health ran into financial difficulty and I had to apply for jobs elsewhere. In a way I am now slightly relieved, as Brisbane doesn't have beaches and we would have missed this.

I had an enquiry from a private hospital in Cairns, and again - loved the Rainforest but worried about work for OH.

New South Wales

And so I started to look on the New South Wales health website. I had previously dismissed NSW as you have to pay school fees on a 457 visa. Then I found out that a catholic school would cost less than the fees for state school which is fine for us as our kids have attended a Catholic school here. This was the green light for me to apply for jobs.

As I said, Sydney was out of the question as was anywhere inland. I narrowed it down to Newcastle, Central coast, Wollongong, Port Macquarie and Coffs harbour.

PM and CH had mental health jobs advertised but again, i worried about work for my OH, so I applied for a job in Newcastle and got it!

I have spent a bit of time researching now and think it sounds ideal for us. It has apparently shaken off its old industrial past and is known for its beautiful coastline and cafe culture. It's also only a couple of hours to Sydney. We think we may live around Lake Macquarie which looks lovely. I have joined a Facebook group for expats that live in the area and they all speak really highly of it.

Bear in mind that I haven't actually been there yet, but I have high hopes :biggrin:

Sorry for rambling - just my thoughts!

I like Newcastle - I wouldn't say it has "shaken off" its industrial past but then personally I wouldn't want it to. Still a massive, massive (and expanding) coal export port for starters. It has history, great coast, some fantastic countryside close by and really not far from Sydney if you want to visit. But then I also like the Illawarra (see FFs post) for broadly similar reasons

Good luck

I like Newcastle - I wouldn't say it has "shaken off" its industrial past but then personally I wouldn't want it to. Still a massive, massive (and expanding) coal export port for starters. It has history, great coast, some fantastic countryside close by and really not far from Sydney if you want to visit. But then I also like the Illawarra (see FFs post) for broadly similar reasons

Good luck

That's good to hear! Industry = work. I'll live on the opposite side of town though :biggrin:

Guest Bazinga

I really like Newcastle esp the swimming baths by the sea. Some people do commute to Sydney from there but its a long old train ride. Also like the centralvcoast.

my husband and I are both mental health nurses with 2 young children and are heading to Adelaide......just seems to have the right mix of cheaper property, weather, never too far from a beach, easy enough to get a flight to Melbourne/Sydney etc for weekends away to visit people and generally ticks a lot of boxes for us. May not be for you but worth a look :biggrin:

Archived