Subclass 457 Visas

LojaChica

Hello All

Just been reading the threads on 457 Visas and all this info is making me a bit concerned! My OH has got one of these and we have paid ALL charges! Employer hasn't paid any!

I have read about School Fees in NSW......Buying a house......Child Benefits....lack of Baggage Allowance....... all of a negative nature because we are just "Visitors" (I'm sure there's other things I haven't read about yet)

How soon can we apply for PR? Do we have to stay with sponsored employer? (concerned now in case my Husband hates his new career) This is a massive deal for him after 18years in the same job................Now wonder if we were given the right advice (Visa type) by the Migration Agent or am I getting my knickers in a knot for nothing:biglaugh::embarrassed:

Any reassurance would be appreciated

Guest GoodersGang

Hi

There are some plus points to the 457 visa. You can only work for the sponsoring company. A change of employer would mean new visa. My new boss said I can apply for permanent residency after 3 months and it should take 9 months to get. However i may hold on and claim the living away from home allowance which will enable me to live tax free while on the 457 (major perk).Keep all you receipts for your 457 visa application and associated costs you will be able to claim these back on your tax return in Oz. A good accountant should help you save a few dollars!!! School fees defo apply in NSW, ive been told around 15000 per child (dont quote me). You can buy a house on 457 visa.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Hi Goodersgang

Just read your last posting, and am wondering if you could give us some more info on the away from home tax free allowance.

My OH has been in touch with his company (last night) who are also big company in Oz and they said they would sponsor us on a 457 visa. Nothing was mentioned about this perk, could you please clarify more.

Would much appreciate it.

Thanks

Debbie & Stuart

Hi

There are some plus points to the 457 visa. You can only work for the sponsoring company. A change of employer would mean new visa. My new boss said I can apply for permanent residency after 3 months and it should take 9 months to get. However i may hold on and claim the living away from home allowance which will enable me to live tax free while on the 457 (major perk).Keep all you receipts for your 457 visa application and associated costs you will be able to claim these back on your tax return in Oz. A good accountant should help you save a few dollars!!! School fees defo apply in NSW, ive been told around 15000 per child (dont quote me). You can buy a house on 457 visa.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Steve

School fees in NSW are currently around the $4500/$5000 per child per year mark. You also cannot claim your visa fees on your tax return. Also LAFHA as you will see from my reply down the thread is not a given right to all 457 holders. It has to be offered not claimed. If you have not negotiated this into your contract (the tax liability is with the employer) then you will not just be able to claim it when you get here.

Guest ViknMark

My OH's company has offered it - we will be getting $500 a week, not sure if everyone's LAFHA is the same and this does stop if you either get a permanent residency or if you buy a house.

Hope this helps

Vikki

:jiggy:

My OH's company has offered it - we will be getting $500 a week, not sure if everyone's LAFHA is the same and this does stop if you either get a permanent residency or if you buy a house.

Hope this helps

Vikki

:jiggy:

that is correct, it actually stops the second you submit your PR application.

Guest ViknMark

Hi Debbie and Stuart,

It was a little complicated (or different) when I first saw it, but I believe it is part of the package. His renumeration package is $130,000, $20,000 of that is LAFHA, which of course is tax free, a vehicle ($10k) which is also tax free, and Superannuation ($8K) (TF). He is a construction site manager.

We've also had lots of help with regards the move, they have taken care of everything including the costs, right down to finding us a place to live and taking me (while OH works) around to view the properties and areas - but as I can gather, that it also at the discretion of the company.

Have you accepted the job yet? If so, how far have you gone with the process?

Vikki

Guest ViknMark

Hi Debbie and Stuart,

I've just noticed you're from Liverpool - My OH is currently up there working, doing the new City of Culture building thingy down by the Mersey. He's due to finish soon.

Do you or Stuart like footy? I'm a huge Liverpool fan. Are you going to tell me you like Everton now lol

Vikki

Hi ViknMark

Thanks for replying so quickly.

No we havent got to the job offer stage yet, we are doing all the research, going to expo next month. There are no vacancies at the moment for what OH does, but they have told him to look regularly on their website.

They have offered us relocation package, ie visa sponsorship, help with flights, help with finding a short term rental property for arrival.

Can I ask how long the process took yourselves from start to arrival? We are hoping to be there by the end of the year!!! wishful thinking.

Where abouts in Oz are you?

Debbie & Stuart

Guest ViknMark

Hi, we're not in Oz yet, any day now and the visa will arrive - fingers crossed!!

We went to the Expo in November, OH got offered the job there, the whole process started mid November, and we should hopefully be out there in the beginning of March. So you getting there by the end of the year is very much achievable on a 457. 2-3 months the process usually takes. Ours a little longer I'd put down to Xmas.

You probably missed the reply about my OH being in Liverpool - I sent that straight after previous email. I am down in the south east - Kent.

Hi

I didnt realise that things get sorted that quick. My OH would rather stay with the company he is with now. Will have to resign here in UK and start from stratch in Oz, pensions etc. We are going to expo in edinburgh next month, taking cvs you never know something else might be offered. Which part of Oz are you going to.

Oh by the way we at the biggest Liverpool fans ever. Have to tell you though my daughter (12) is in the Everton Academy, doesnt go down very well in our family. But Everton Academy is much better than Liverpool Academy so we will let her off.

How much longer is OH up here, does he get any time off, maybe my OH could meet up with him for a quick pint to talk things over with him, would that be possible. It is like a minefield to us and quite frankly not sure where to start.

Debbie & Stuart

Guest shariliz

I think that tax is applicable if you work away from where you are living in Australia ??!! i.e. if your work is too far away to get home each day etc. Check it out on Australian Taxation Office Homepage site. Check the small print!!

On a 457 or not, you do your tax returns the same as any worker here, temp or permanent, as you are earning your wage here. If your income is from outside Aus, it gets a whole lot more complicated but if you're living and working here, you're classed as earning to pay tax here. If you were to earn under the tax threshold, you get the deductions back after you've lodged your tax claim but you still have tax deducted from wages as you earn. Tax returns are easy to do yourself as well and saves you paying the accountant fees! Some places will charge a whole lot more than $30 and what you might 'get back' is needed to pay him/her!!

Also with a 457, we discovered that you are not obliged to stay with the same employer after the first 6 months; even if it stipulates it in your visa, you can ask a prospective/new employer to take over the visa, you wouldn't have to apply for a whole new 457: DIAC will just need informing and they will advise accordingly, requiring written confirmation from prospective/new employer. (BTW, this info was gleaned from when I was potentially in the position of moving employer and state last year so check it out properly for changes!!).

Also, the school fees for NSW were around $4500 per child per year though this will increase depending on whether you decide to go private. It was going to be $13,500 for all 3 of ours to go to school for a year! Also, the particular area-North/north west somewhere!- wanted the fees upfront!!! Beware of the small print but you can usually pay in instalments.

BTW, you can't claim any centrelink benefits on a temp visa. Check out the centrelink.gov.au site Can claim on the child care/school fees/expenses for in July-June yearly tax returns. Keep all your receipts, send them in with your tax lodgment forms, but there may be a limit to how much you get back.

You can apply for PR as soon as you step off the plane virtually; I know people who have done it in their 1st week or 2 here; your medicals for the 457 are valid for the 12 months after the date they were done so use those- saves you a few $$$; bear in mind that by the time PR is processed you could've been here 6 months anyway as it can take 3-6 months to process sometimes!!

If you buy a house on a 457, it's not impossible, depending on which financial institution you go to, it's sometimes harder and more hassle to get good mortgage interest rates, often you'll be asked for a hefty deposit and you must apply to the FIRB (foreign Investment Review Board!!) whether you're buying outright or not. You may not qualify or be granted the 1st time home buyer's grant either(around $7K- differs slightly in each state/territory I think!) as you may have to prove you've been here a bit longer but check it out; there are exclusions to these sorts of things.

Baggage allowance is usually 20kg- you can request/pay extra for more weight allowance as you're emigrating; clear it in advance with the airline when you book etc- just as you would if going on hols!!- and make sure they put the extra weight allowance on your tickets/boarding passes or you'll have hassle at the airports when you're checking in/out!!

Good Luck

Research, research then do research again........and always, always check the small print!!!!

Cheers

Sharron

Guest dizzy blonde

Hi Joelltah

We are in WA on a 457. Basically you have to stay with the sponsoring employer whilst on this visa, I think if you leave them you only get around 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. You can apply for PR under the employer nomination scheme. If you skills match or have a salary over a certain amount (I think $167,000) you can apply immediately. If not you have to have worked for the employer for 2 years before applying. As far as I understand it the job contract must be full time and for at least 3 years and be on the Employer Nomination list of occupations.

As for costs I think each employer is different about the package they will offer, obviously when you apply for PR there are visa costs, medical costs etc. We don't pay any additional school fees, we are covered by medicare for health costs but have private health care as well. On a 457 there are limits on the private health care cover as we are temp visitors and it is a bit more expensive. If I can answer anything else let me know.

Lynne

Lynne

Guest GoodersGang
School fees in NSW are currently around the $4500/$5000 per child per year mark. You also cannot claim your visa fees on your tax return. Also LAFHA as you will see from my reply down the thread is not a given right to all 457 holders. It has to be offered not claimed. If you have not negotiated this into your contract (the tax liability is with the employer) then you will not just be able to claim it when you get here.

Like I said im no expert just trying to help. These are all points my accountant has told me. I am buying two houses and renting them out then staying somewhere else its all to do with negative gearing??? I pushed the envelope for the LAFHA and secured a vehicle allowance, fuel costs and 20% rise after all we are in DEMAND!!! I have three kids thats where the 15000 dollars must have come from thanks for clarifying that. Going to Queensland anyway better beaches/weather!!! So anyway just to recap my advice to anybody is get yourself a bloody good accountant!!

Like I said im no expert just trying to help. These are all points my accountant has told me. I am buying two houses and renting them out then staying somewhere else its all to do with negative gearing??? I pushed the envelope for the LAFHA and secured a vehicle allowance, fuel costs and 20% rise after all we are in DEMAND!!! I have three kids thats where the 15000 dollars must have come from thanks for clarifying that. Going to Queensland anyway better beaches/weather!!! So anyway just to recap my advice to anybody is get yourself a bloody good accountant!!

So you have purchased multiple houses and still got LAFHA?

Guest billy braveheart

better beaches and weather than where??? WA has some of the most beautiful beaches and weather i have seen in my life ,even in winter it doesnt get that cold and we dont get the storms that the east coast get quite regular,but hey that is just my outlook enjoy yourself wherever u end up

Guest billy braveheart
Hi Joelltah

We are in WA on a 457. Basically you have to stay with the sponsoring employer whilst on this visa, I think if you leave them you only get around 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. You can apply for PR under the employer nomination scheme. If you skills match or have a salary over a certain amount (I think $167,000) you can apply immediately. If not you have to have worked for the employer for 2 years before applying. As far as I understand it the job contract must be full time and for at least 3 years and be on the Employer Nomination list of occupations.

As for costs I think each employer is different about the package they will offer, obviously when you apply for PR there are visa costs, medical costs etc. We don't pay any additional school fees, we are covered by medicare for health costs but have private health care as well. On a 457 there are limits on the private health care cover as we are temp visitors and it is a bit more expensive. If I can answer anything else let me know.

Lynne

Lynne

hi lynne

you dont need to wait the 2 years IF you have a positive trades assesment,as for the medicare bit im on a 457, i went to the docs cost me $50 sent off the slip to medicare and recieved $32.60 back from them so its not too bad,only thing is you defo dont get the 1st time home buyers grant of $7000 and you are liable for stamp duty on any house you purchase whether its below the $500,000 margin or not

billy

Guest annawavellsmith

Sorry I can't offer any advice. Just wanted to see how you have found your migration agent to be. I'm hoping to get my English boyfriend over on the same sponsored visa your husband is on. Do you know how long it takes for the sponsored visa to process???

Guest ally and ali

Hi Vick,

We Are From Kent Too And Hoping To Go To Gold Coast In March If Poss, Husband Is Also Huge Liverpool Fan !!! Where Are You Off Too?

Guest ViknMark

Hi Ally and Ali,

I am off to Canberra with my OH and 13 (next month) year old son. We were originally going to go to Brisbane, but didn't have enough points, but got a sponsor. They have said if we want they will transfer us to Brisbane after a couple of years, but with a son at that age at school, we are not keen on keep moving about. I'm warming to Canberra, and can't really say anything until we have been there a while and have seen for ourselves.

My OH is working in Liverpool at the moment, but is a West Ham fan, perhaps I should offer to go up for him lol.

Do you have your visa already? And it it definitely the Gold Coast you're going to?

Vikki

x

Guest GoodersGang
better beaches and weather than where??? WA has some of the most beautiful beaches and weather i have seen in my life ,even in winter it doesnt get that cold and we dont get the storms that the east coast get quite regular,but hey that is just my outlook enjoy yourself wherever u end up

Hi Braveheart

better than NSW! but you are right beaches and sunsets in WA take some beating!!!!

Guest leanneandmark

Hi Vikki, we are only 20 mins down the road in Herne Bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

House went on market yesterday, not got visa yet but when we do we are heading to adelaide, we didn't quite have enough points for brisbane either but we are pleased we are going to adelaide now.

mark is a project manager, for structured cabling networks. Well done getting a sponsor how fantastic. Lucky you.

Archived