Will drink driving conviction affect my subclass 417 eta visa application?

Mikeob

Hi, I applied for my subclass 417 visa online yesterday. I have a drink driving conviction from 2010, I did declare this but reading in some forums it seems there is another visa you can apply for if you have convictions. I don't mind getting my police record with just this on and presenting in if required in my application as I have never been involved with drugs/weapons or in jail. The friend I applied with was accepted in half hour, I was expecting a delay with mine but now worried and may have wasted 365AUD! Just wondering if anyone has applied this way with like convictions or has any advice? Many thanks

Hi, I applied for my subclass 417 visa online yesterday. I have a drink driving conviction from 2010, I did declare this but reading in some forums it seems there is another visa you can apply for if you have convictions. I don't mind getting my police record with just this on and presenting in if required in my application as I have never been involved with drugs/weapons or in jail. The friend I applied with was accepted in half hour, I was expecting a delay with mine but now worried and may have wasted 365AUD! Just wondering if anyone has applied this way with like convictions or has any advice? Many thanks

Im not sure what a 417 visa is as long as you decalre it when my friend applied for his residency he included a little statement explianing about the drink driving how it happened and why he wouldnt do it a agaun and he got his visa

I did declare it but only stated 'drink driving conviction date..' and nothing more, but to late to amed now. Guess emailing them now to give them more information slice is also a bad idea as well! Still he got his visa so I'm hopeful I will as well as your friend did. Thanks for posting

I did declare it but only stated 'drink driving conviction date..' and nothing more, but to late to amed now. Guess emailing them now to give them more information slice is also a bad idea as well! Still he got his visa so I'm hopeful I will as well as your friend did. Thanks for posting

He went through an agent and they know whats coming and what will be asked for so got my friend to send the explanation with the application it saves time, if they have any query on anything they will just ask for additional imformation, you will be fine

I have now received an email from immigration requesting more information as you said. Have drafted up an email in reply to answer their questions. Only thing i was expecting them to request my police report but they have not, only my account of events and relevant bans,fines ect. Still i am hopeful of the outcome and appreciate your comments. Could I ask a little more detail on what your friend put in his explanation if you know loubear72? Thanks again

Not sure how relevant it is, but just last night I heard of a guy from the UK that was here on Working Holiday Visa. He got caught twice drink driving and got deported from Australia without the option to come back. He's a cousin of a mate of mine.

Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd mention this here in case it does.

Good luck with your application

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi everyone!

I’ve applied my first work holiday visa on 11 of December.

never had any previous convictions until Christmas Day got arrested drink driving test breath is 87

i am also a new driver passed my licence in January 2018 after so many attempts.

i am so ashamed of myself for this matter:((

anyway, my work holiday application is still ongoing and also I’m released on bail.

i have court next Friday!

does anyone know if this drink driving conviction will affect on my application and I they will refuse my visa?

do I need to call Australian embassy in London and tell them about my circumstances?

or I must wait to until the court results?

thanks