Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'eta'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 65 results

  1. lesley

    resident return visa

    Hi my travel facility on my resident return ran out 5 years ago i have substantial ties and compelling reasons for absence. Ive realised that processing times have gone up so my question is this can i apply for my RRV and then apply for visitor visa and visit while waiting.my son has just had a new baby and i would really like to visit as soon as possible
  2. Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to open up a bank account in Australia while being in the country on just an ETA (visitor visa) ? Has anyone had any experience doing this? If I am successful, I will need to attend an AHPRA office in Australia to finalise some registration there, and thus need proof of Australian residence. I was hoping to apply for an australian bank account while still in the UK but am unsure of the ETA visa ~(NOT a work visa)~ will allow me to do this. Then I could get the bank to print off a statement with the Australian address I will be temporarily residing at. Kind regards, Daniel
  3. BerniDeaks

    Visitor Visa 600 and ETA

    Hi, I am new to the group and would like to ask your advice on how I could remain in Australia after my 600 visa expires early May. My initial visa was a Visitor Subclass 600 visa, issued May 17 with a stay period of 12 months from the date of each arrival (multiple entries). My final arrival on this visa was May 18, making the expiry date May 19 - with no further facility for multiple entries. In November 18, my daughter who lives in Cambodia got sick, therefore I contacted the visa authorities for permission to leave and return on this visa. The only was they could allow this was to apply for another Visitor Subclass 600 visa, which they issued valid from 1/11/18 to 7/5/19 with the multiple entries that I had requested during the validity of the visa. I am currently in Australia, the last time I left was Dec 18 and returned Jan 19 ( I was in Cambodia for approx. two weeks) The reason for my being in Australia was to support my daughter with raising my first grandson who was born in Australia in August 2017. She is on a 457 Visa (187 applied for, but they are still waiting on a decision), sponsored by a farm in outback, QLD. Due to visa restrictions and location, it has been necessary for her partner to accept employment some 300kms away, which leaves my daughter and her baby isolated with no support. My reason for extending the visa therefore, is so that I can continue to help and support them. I would very much appreciate your advice on what would be my best options to remain a bit longer.
  4. Hello all, My dependent visa (subclass 500) has just been cancelled six months after my then-partner left the country and his school notified immigration of his termination of study/departure (last July). Meanwhile, I was in Australia when that visa was cancelled, and with that my ETA (subclass 600) then ceased to exist. I called up immigration for advice and they instructed me to apply for a BVE to rectify my situation. A compliance officer called after receiving my application and told me I needed to provide flight details as to when I am leaving the country, and that a 3-year re-entry ban will be imposed on me. It's been nearly 20 days and I have yet to have the BVE granted since I have been trying to clarify my situation with the help of a lawyer, who is proven to be of no help. Sorry for the lengthy post but being wrecked by anxiety and horror I hope the experts here could help answer some of my questions.. - Do all visa cancellations lead to a re-entry ban? Most websites, including that of the immigration, state that only if you violate certain conditions, e.g. overstaying your visa, working as a tourist etc. would you be imposed such ban. In that case, can I argue I should not have been receiving such ban? - My understanding is leaving the country with a BVE can imply a re-entry ban. However I was told by immigration that when the dependent visa was cancelled that was the only option I had when I was rendered without any visa. Obviously I would not want to obtain a BVE if I knew of the ban, but then I would have been staying/leaving the country without a visa. My point is an hour after I realised my ex-partner's visa, hence my dependent's visa, was cancelled and my ETA unfortunately also ceased to exist, I had promptly acted on the situation i.e. apply for a BVE as told to remain lawful. Not sure why I should be penalised or considered a risk? - I have assumed my ex-partner, and you can imagine we have had minimum contact given the nature of our breakup, has carried out all the right and necessary steps to cancel his student visa upon leaving his course. He talked to immigration numerous times and was told he didn't need to do anything if his school was on it. His school had emailed him about them having notified immigration he decided to leave the course/country. The immigration only cancelled the visa six months later. So did he voluntarily ask to have his visa cancelled? In immigration's eye did he leave his student visa unattended, even though he was told it was good enough to inform the school, which would then inform immigration? If so, is this the reason of this cancellation is leading to a re-entry ban? - Since the cancellation of my ETA is tied to the cancellation of the dependent visa/student visa, to which I have no right to appeal because it was cancelled while the holder (my ex-partner) was overseas. However, being also the holder, albeit 'secondary' of the visa, I was onshore. Does it mean I have no right to appeal this situation whatsoever? I was of the wrong impression that applying for an ETA before I came would cover my bases in case the dependent gets cancelled and was not aware of the legislation hidden deep in the Migration Act but have only wanted to come as a genuine tourist. I'm stuck in a limbo and terrified of the future where there seems to be no options whatsoever. The lawyer who I counted on has been half-hearted at best on my case and 20 days have passed no new information/change has been obtained my the immigration. If you know anything about the subject, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
  5. Hi, I applied for my subclass 417 visa online yesterday. I have a drink driving conviction from 2010, I did declare this but reading in some forums it seems there is another visa you can apply for if you have convictions. I don't mind getting my police record with just this on and presenting in if required in my application as I have never been involved with drugs/weapons or in jail. The friend I applied with was accepted in half hour, I was expecting a delay with mine but now worried and may have wasted 365AUD! Just wondering if anyone has applied this way with like convictions or has any advice? Many thanks
  6. Hello I’m about to enter Australia on a multiple entry eVisitor (651) and intend to apply for a student visa shortly after. If my student visa application gets refused will my multiple entry eVisitor then become void/cancelled? Most people I’ve asked have said no it should be fine but just wanting to be sure. Thanks in advance.
  7. My wife and I are living in America and have just found out we are pregnant. We have decided we want to move to Australia to have the baby and plan on flying there at the end of July 2018. I need to apply for the partner visa and due to time, will need to apply for it onshore. I am wondering which visa I need to enter the country. We will be submitting our application as soon as we arrive.
  8. Hey guys, I'm a bit nervous and hoping someone knows the answer or knows where to find the answer. I'm hoping to submit for the 189 this month as I currently have 80 points in my EOI. Once submitting I am front loading everything and took the risk with my medicals and police checks. I'm hoping with a complete package I might have a faster outcome, but am nervous that the times have increased to 9-12 months. Here lies my dilemma. I'm getting married in Australia in December! I obviously would like to be able to attend my own wedding. Once submitted for the 189 can I continue to visit Australia? I have an ETA valid through September, and would like to go visit my fiance who already moved (Australian citizen but we decided on the skilled migrant vs partner due to cost/processing times/permanent visa). If so, I have heard that if you apply for an ETA while waiting for the 189 and it comes through even 1 minute after that it would bump the 189, and now I would be stuck back at the beginning. I thought that the way around this would just be to pay for my ETA again now, prior to applying for the 189 to make sure this wouldn't happen. However, it says on the ETA website that since I have a valid ETA until September 13th- that the new one will become active September 14th. I'm nervous that if I submit for this and possibly have my visa prior that when this becomes "active" it will bump my visa. All in all, just trying to find a way to pray I can be at my own wedding! All advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!
  9. Hi all, I have a rather urgent question about multi-entry ETA visas as I have a trip scheduled to Australia from the US on January 4. I am a US Citizen and my partner is an Australian citizen. I was planning to come to Australia and apply for a partner visa onshore in February. I am needing to make a quick trip to Australia beforehand in January for family issues related to my partner's family. My plans are to leave the U.S. January 4, return to the U.S. mid-January. Then leave the U.S. mid-February and apply for the onshore partner visa at during that 3 month period. I want the bridging visa to take effect at the end of the 3 months from the February entry date. My question is if I apply for a multi-entry ETA visa that allows for 3 months with each entry for a time period of 12 months, will the bridging visa take effect at the end of the 3 months from that February visit or will it take effect at the end of the 12 months and force me to leave every 3 months? I have found a lot of conflicting information on the internet plus I know immigration rules are constantly changing. One piece of information I found said at some stage prior to the completion of the second 3 month stay period, I would need to apply for a subclass 600 for a specified period to extend my stay past the 3 month allowable time frame on an ETA and apply for the partner visa during the time I am on that visa. I believe the intended effect is that the 600 visa would supersede the original ETA visa so that I don't have to wait for the 12 month time period to lapse before the bridging visa takes effect. But other information I have founds says that the bridging visa would simply take effect after the 3-month period ends. I'm not sure which is correct. Does anyone have personal experience with doing this and not only applying for the bridging visa but actually having it take effect after the 3-month on a multi-entry ETA ends? Again, my trip is scheduled for January 4 so any quick replies are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  10. chrisdarby

    RRV or ETA

    Hi, I am 37 years old, I am a british citizen but i've had permanent residency in Australia since I was 8 years old, so going on 29 years now. I have a young daughter (6 years old) who is an australian citizen and currently living with her mother, my ex wife, also an australia citizen, in Perth WA. I also have both of my parents and all of my siblings living in Australia as either permanent residents or a couple that have now gotten their citizenship, I visit both them and my daughter regularly. In Feb 2013 I renewed my RRV for 5 years to travel to the UK, I travelled to the UK in May 2013, got offered a very good job, and am now living and working here, and currently earning more here than I can with the same type of work in Australia, coupled with lower cost of living allows me frequent trips back to Australia as well as being able to send over increased financial support to my daughter. Between then and now i've travelled back to Australia 5 times, and plan to continue to travel to Australia (Perth) at least twice a year to spend time with my daughter (she also visits the uk at least once a year with her mother) and to spend time with my parents and siblings in Adelaide. My current RRV is due to expire late February 2018. I have travel back to Australia planned in March/April 2018, after my RRV expires. My problem is this, I have no ‘immediate’ intention to return to australia to live as a resident within the next few years, due to my current employment, the pay of which I can't match in Australia (especially considering the low cost of living where i am now), and coupled with the fact that I am in a long term relationship here in the UK. I have been advised when calling the immigration dept that renewing my RRV annually is going to become more and more difficult with the immigration dept eventually (if not sooner) questioning if i have any intention to actually come back to live and then outright denying the RRV. Within the next 5-10 years (or longer) providing things continue as they have, i have no intention of working in Australia, claiming benefits, using medicare etc, but need access to see my daughter, so I don't need all the benefits that come with an RRV at the moment, but if things change either planned or due to unforeseen circumstances, I don’t want to be cut off from my daughter or the rest of my family, due to a visa issue. What are my options? And what sort of costs are involved in ensuring that I can continue to legally visit my daughter in Australia up to 2-3 times a year. I currently intent to renew my RRV in January for 1 year, but my concern is what happens after that, what will happen if I have to switch to another visa (ETA or eVisitor) or something. I understand that ETA or eVisitor will allow me to visit for 12 months and stay up to 3 months at a time, but without the ability to work, etc which is absolutely fine at the moment, but if I do have to move back at some point either due to: a) Illness in my family in Adelaide or Perth b) issues with my daughter c) changes in circumstances in the UK d) something else. Will getting an ETA instead of RRV prevent me from getting another RRV in the future, I’ve had conflicting advice from two different people at Immigration and Border Control. Can anyone offer any insight?
  11. Hi All, I'm still in the process of filling in the online form for a GSM sc175 and I'm stuck on the question "Have you been to Australia......" The problem is that all my family have been at least once but we went on an ETA - the last time was Feb 2010. There doesn't seem to be an option for this as it seems to ask about proper visas - If I select 'Other' then it still wants a place of issue? We haven't got any details of the ETA either. Also my wife even had a Working Visa back in 1987, but can't remember where it was issued from.... My question is do I just say that 'No' we haven't been to Australia? I obviously don't want to lie but saying yes means that I can't complete the form without completing information I don't know!? Can anyone who has filled the form in help me please?
  12. Hello I recently entered Australia on an ETA visa with the intention of applying for a defacto visa once landing. I rang immigration yesterday and was told that regardless of how quickly my bridging visa was granted, it would not be activated until my ETA visa had expired (90 days from entering the country) and that I wouldn't be eligible to work until this time. Is there any way around this restriction? I can think of worse places to be unemployed for 3 months :biggrin: but am keen to get working as soon as possible! I also have a potential Australian job offer in the pipeline. Is there anything my prospective employer can do to get me into work more quickly? Immigration told me over the phone that a sponsorship visa also required my ETA to expire before being activated. Thanks in advance!
  13. Hi, I've been granted an ETA to visit Australia (by thevisabureau) and was careful to read everything to make sure that I do not violate any of the conditions. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which is under control and I am taking Mesalazine and Mercaptopurine for it. While in Australia, I will of course need prescriptions of these medications (no problem as far as I can tell) as you can only bring two month's supply across the border and I am staying for three months. The Mercaptopurine requires blood tests, which I will require three or less of during my three month stay. To ensure that I would be abe to get these, I contacted eta-general (at) visabureau (dot) com and the reply stated: "the conditions of at ETA for Australia state that you must have a clean bill of health when entering Australia. If this is declared, you may be refused entry to Australia with this particular visa. I recommend you apply for a tourist visa - 676 for 3 months. This will give you the opportunity to declare any medical issues and provide further information to the Australian government" I don't remember it saying you have to have a clean bill of health, but something more along the lines of "you must not require treatment that could reduce the quality of care we provide to Australian citizens". What are people's thoughts on this? Where can I find the requirements that I saw (and can't access again as my visa's been granted) while applying? Thanks for any help PS: I'd be particularly interested if George Lombard or someone else authoritative would reply to this
  14. I've asked a question here regarding using Australian healthcare with an ETA, so maybe it should have been under "Migration" in the first place: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/flights-holidays/131658-eta-medical-conditions-under-control.html (Apologies if I'm not supposed to "double post" like this, just let me know and I won't do it again)
  15. Has anyone got an idea of how common it is that customs might refuse you? My second Working holiday Visa is nearly running out, I applied for the 676 onshore but got refused, and now I'm considering to take a trip to NZ for a few days. I know about the fact that you need to have an ongoing flight. I really like to spend christmas here with my friends and I have got enough funds to support myself and fly back home (Holland) after christmas. I'm about to make the decision to get rid of my rental apartment or take the risk of keeping it till I'm back in the country. I would really like to have a place to come home to if customs do let me cross the boarder. Any ideas? And what would you do in my situation? Move out of the apartment or take the risk? Thanks in advance!
  16. First of all thank you very much for letting me use you forum. I am a British Citizen living the last 17 years in Israel (Still have a valid British Passport). I wish to apply for an ETA, but I have a light conviction in Israel - not in the UK, for which I served 2 months community service. To be eligible to apply for an ETA it says you must have no criminal convictions for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) are for a total period of 12 months duration or more. So: I served only 2 months. It wasn't in the UK, would they even know? What do I do? Thanks.
  17. Hello ... not sure if anyone can help with this but maybe somebody has been in this situation. I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is a US citizen. His spouse visa was refused a year and a half ago because of the health requirement and we are awaiting an MRT appeal. We currently live in the USA and want to visit my family in Australia for 3 weeks over Christmas/New Year. Last time we visited, all we needed was an electronic travel authority for my husband but that was prior to the spouse visa refusal. Does anyone know if he can still just get an ETA or does he need to apply for a Tourist Visa? (I know, I'm probably going to have to call the Australian Embassy but maybe someone here knows the answer, on the off chance!) Thanks for any help, Jen
  18. Hi everyone!!! This is my first ever time on a forum so you will have to bear with me!! And I promise to repay the favour and help anyone out with anything whatsoever in future regarding partner visas as it is just so stressful. Can anyone shed any light/offer any advice at all on my situation? My Boyfriend (Aussie) and I got together 3.5 years ago in London. At the time he decided to make the move back, we had not lived together to fulfill the 12 month requirement, and seeing as I had had a working holiday visa in 2006 (but never actually worked in the end grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) my only option was to come over on a tourist visa. So I was issued a 12 month tourist visa, unfortunately with a 'no further stay' condition. Seeing as I made a trip out of the country last year, this is now due to expire on 14th November 2011. We have lived together now for the past 22 months...but now I just don't know what to do......I can try and get an ETA in NZ and come back on that, or lodge my partner visa in the UK (everything is ready to go except meds). I saw a lawyer today as I'm just going so crazy about it and he said that unless I wait at least 6 weeks, my ETA will be refused due to the time I've recently spent here. He also said that globally the processing time is 12 months, and that applies in the UK, and if I go home and lodge it there I cannnot get any visa to come back and be with my partner in Oz???!! Is this all true?! I just can't face a prospective year apart with just trips over from my boyfriend...although have spoken to immigration and they said that the processing time in UK is 5-6 months and I can get a visa to be with my partner if I lodge there?! Talk about contradictory!!????? I know you must all be stressed and muddle headed too...but if anyone can offer any advice whatsoever, I would be so grateful. Thanks so much xxxxx
  19. We are planning a reccie next March, ideally for up to 6 months. The ETA (976) and evisitor (651) visas only seem to allow stays of up to 3 months at a time. I know you can leave Oz and come back in again, but we have 3 children so would rather not. Does anyone know if these visas can be extended easily? If not, I guess we have to apply for a 6-month tourist visa (676), right? Does anyone know if the 110AUD fee is the same for children/infants too? Many thanks!
  20. Hello PIO's I've got my ETA approved and its for 12 months - multiple entries - 3 months per stay. My question is; Can a 8503 be put on an ETA upon entry? Cheers, SW
  21. jo688

    Working remotely on ETA

    Hello Can anybody tell me if you can work remotely for UK based companies while you are in Oz on an ETA. I am a writer and write for UK mags from my computer. I am set up as self employed in the UK and invoice and pay tax on any earnings in the UK. I am not planning on working (I am coming to visit friends and do some sightseeing) and but I do have regular clients who often need commisions doing on a short-notice basis. Turning them down would jeopordise them commissioing me again but I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed. I'm not planning working for any Aus based mags or doing any cash in hand work while I am in Oz. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  22. Hello I am glad I found this forum and I have done a lot of reading lately! Me and my friend have been staying in Australia since 8/11/2010, and our working holiday Visa (WHV) is expiring on 7/11/2011. But, like many others I want to extend my stay for another three months, so I can do some travelling. I know that I can fly over to NZ and apply for an ETA online while over there. I just have a few questions in regards to that. Here are the questions. (1) Can we fly over to NZ before the visa expires, then apply for the Australia ETA visa while in NZ after our 417 WHV expired as we are planning to travel in NZ for 2 - 3 weeks, once our Australia ETA have granted, will there be any problems with the immigration in Australia after our WHV visa expires? (2) How long does it take to grant the Australia ETA visa? (3) Will I get refused to enter NZ as I can't prove I'll be able to get into Australia after our WHV already expires. Is it necessary to book a flexible flight ticket back to Australia before our visa expires? After I have gained entry to NZ then I can change the return flight to a later date? (4) I am from Hong Kong and I hold a British National Overseas (BNO) passport and Hong Kong Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport. As I used my British National Overseas (BNO) passport to apply the 417 WHV and enter Australia with that passport, I know I have to use the same passport when I leave Australia. But can I enter NZ using the Hong Kong Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport? Will the immigration officer in NZ allow me to do that? The reason I want to do that is I want to apply ETA online. If I use BNO, I can't do it online. (5) As my friend is a British citizen and he can apply it online as a evisitor instead of online ETA application. I would like to know the processing time of the evisitor visa? Is it the same as online ETA visa? Hope it all makes sense to u guys Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a nice day, Noche
  23. Guest

    Help Please.....

    Hi everyone! I have recently sent in my application for a Prospective Marriage Visa 300 so I can get back to my girl in Perth. I understand its going to take approx 5 months to be granted but I've got an idea and wondered if it was possible? Could I go over on an ETA in September and wait for it to be granted then leave the country whilst it gets granted at a later date? If so, I currently have a valid ETA which lapses in October so could I apply for a new ETA before that to supersede the exisiting one? Also, would it be best to book a one way flight and a return to Bali at a later date (to get the visa granted) or would it be best to book a flight to Perth with an open return to Bali? Concerned about immigration in Perth! Thanks in advance!
  24. crazydaizy

    cancelled 2nd whv - travel on ETA

    hi i was in oz a few years back. Basically i lied to get my 2nd whv and the visa was granted. I realised what i did was very stupid so i cancelled this visa myself and never entered oz on it. However now i would like to travel to oz for a 3 week holiday to visit my fiance's family, does anyone think i will have an issue wit this. Could they refuse me entry at immigration even after they've granted me an eta. Also we would be looking to lodge a prospective marriage visa sometime next year. Does anyone think i could be refused entry due to the fact i lied previously, like i said i never travelled on the visa and i did cancel it off my own accord. Any input would be greatly appreciated
  25. Guest

    Applying for ETA visa...

    I would like to do this on -line, and have just filled in the application form, but before clicking to make a payment i realised that there hd been no questions of criminal records or my maiden name... i mention the criminal records bit, because i have one from over 20 years ago... im hoping it wont prevent me from going over as it wasnt anything too serious, im just concerned that it wasnt a legitamate site... can anybody advise me how to go about it... regards... clare:cute: