Compensation from shippers

cronemeister

Hi, the shipping company I used delivered my furniture a couple of weeks ago, but just literally dropped it off at the house (about 80 packages in total). They were supposed to unwrap, assemble basic furniture and unpack items onto flat surfaces and take all of the packaging and wrapping materials away.

So bascially I've only paid for them to deliver the stuff and nothing else.

I've got someone from the shipping company calling me back next weds, and based on the fact that I paid getting on for $5000 for a door to door packing and unpacking service I don't think its unreasonable to be reimbursed for the elements of the service I have not received.

Just wondering what people think would be a reasonable amount for me to ask for.

Has anyone else had similar experience ?

Thanks.

I have never heard of that situation before, it sounds like a bit of a mix up.

Still $5000 does not sound enough for a door to door packing and unpacking service from UK. Can you elaborate on where you moved from, how big was the container and was it defeintily $ not GBP?

Hi there, we had ours delivered last week and they just unpacked some of the kitchen stuff and left saying they were very busy that day. Came at 7.30 and left around 9.30 after delivering about 800 cu ft of stuff. I'm still unpacking to this day. They too were supposed to do a full unpack service.

To be honest I was quite overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that landed. I left the front lounge free of clutter but it almost took up all the other space in the house. I couldn't get my head round to asking them to unpack all the rest as there I was wondering where I'm going to put it all. A bit dumb on my part but there you go.

I don't think it is quite common at all. If you pay for full unpack then that is what you should get. I would have liked to have seen mine try to leave the house before every last items was unpacked and put away, they would have been rugby takled at the door.

Still to original post, I do wonder if $5k did really include a full unpack?

Guest The Pom Queen

It can get confusing as I've known people say unpacking instead of unloading which is totally different. I agree with Rupert $5k is very cheap if you moved from the UK and got a fully pack everything and unpack everything.

Personally I prefer to unpack myself so I know where things are and they are how I want

So you knew where very single item was going in its exact place?

Sounds like you have OCD or very few belongings..............

Is that to me? I had a 40ft container so don't think very few belongings is it. I am not sure what your hostility is about, if I pay for unpacking I expect to get unpacking. Yes I did know where everything needed to go, it is not that hard.

I think you're kidding yourself that you will get compensation,once these guys have your money thats it.I'm in negotiation with the company i used from Ireland,i paid for sole use 20 ft container and instead without consultation they sent our stuff groupage,so we paid an extra €1000 and had to wait seven weeks longer to get our things...they're not intersted in my complaint!

Had similar experience with our shippers , they charged us more than the " estimate " even tho we shipped less ,we were supposed to receive a call with exact cost before we left for Oz .we phoned them asking what was going on when we got to oz deadly silence the other end as we hadn't paid the balance and they had shipped it.

when it was dropped off they were supposed to unpack it they lost a cage then found it 3 days later and dropped that off we unpacked everything then I called them back and told them to come and collect all the packing they were supposed to take with them,extra trip for them,got nowhere with the complaint .

i think they play on the fact that you are going through a whole host of emotions

I'll try and answer as many questions people have asked as possible.

We have about 500cu/ft of stuff, which came groupage from Newcastle UK to our new home 3 hours East of Melbourne. All of our stuff was packaged up in the rooms the stuff was in and clearly labelled on the boxes as to which rooms the stuff was from, this was to make it easy for the stuff to go back into the rooms they needed to go into here in Oz.

I was at work when the stuff arrived and the missus was at home, and we had literally moved in that day (were in a furnished rental prior to this). Had I been here I would have asked the question about stuff being unpacked etc, but my missus wasn't quite sure, and the guys seemed to be in a bit of a rush to get off (possibly the 3 hour drive back West)!

I have spoke to the shipping company and they have admitted that it was their error as the guys that came had not long been with the company and this was the first international delivery they had done so weren't quite aware of how the company worked. Still doesn't explain if they had a job ticket telling them what to do why they didn't do it, but they've apologised and admitted it was their fault that I haven't had the service I paid for.

Will let you know how i get on !

Is that to me? I had a 40ft container so don't think very few belongings is it. I am not sure what your hostility is about, if I pay for unpacking I expect to get unpacking. Yes I did know where everything needed to go, it is not that hard.

Not being hostile merely stating that to know where every single piece inside every single box is to be put in a strange house you have just moved into amidst all the chaos of boxes arriving etc is very impressive. I personally spent days trying to find places to put a lot of my stuff that i had shipped never mind arranging the furniture. Did you sit and draw up a plan of attack the night before and play around with card board cut outs of furniture on a scale size plan of the house you just moved in to?

Not being hostile merely stating that to know where every single piece inside every single box is to be put in a strange house you have just moved into amidst all the chaos of boxes arriving etc is very impressive. I personally spent days trying to find places to put a lot of my stuff that i had shipped never mind arranging the furniture. Did you sit and draw up a plan of attack the night before and play around with card board cut outs of furniture on a scale size plan of the house you just moved in to?

No. Kitchen stuff in kitchen cupboards. Clothes in wardrobe. Books on bookshelves. You know that kind of thing, not hard. You are the one taken for a mug not me, so too late trying to look smart now.

Guest The Pom Queen

Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight to me, but as its the season of goodwill I'm sure I am mistaken. Like Rupert has said if you have paid for a service you expect to receive that service FULL STOP

So did you pick the exact cupboards for the removal men to put the pots in or did they pick a random one? So you seriously stood over the person telling them where exactly to put your underwear etc. Personally i prefer them to unpack the boxes and i arrange my own cupboards,clothes drawers etc but maybe that's just me.

Guest The Pom Queen
So did you pick the exact cupboards for the removal men to put the pots in or did they pick a random one? So you seriously stood over the person telling them where exactly to put your underwear etc. Personally i prefer them to unpack the boxes and i arrange my own cupboards,clothes drawers etc but maybe that's just me.

So why did you pay for that service and why complain that you didn't receive it.

I didn't expect someone to fold each individual pair of socks and put them in the drawer for me so therefore i did not complain about not receiving this service. I stated that the removal guys made an excuse about not building up beds but seriously life is too short to make a complaint to the company about it as it would have took me more time to do this than to build the beds. I was perfectly happy with the service i received at both ends and i have never said otherwise. You must be getting me mixed up with someone else who has posted on this thread.

Guest The Pom Queen
I didn't expect someone to fold each individual pair of socks and put them in the drawer for me so therefore i did not complain about not receiving this service. I stated that the removal guys made an excuse about not building up beds but seriously life is too short to make a complaint to the company about it as it would have took me more time to do this than to build the beds. I was perfectly happy with the service i received at both ends and i have never said otherwise. You must be getting me mixed up with someone else who has posted on this thread.

The OP did pay for the full service and didn't receive it, you stated "

I am guessing this is quite common as we were given excuses about insurance not covering childrens beds so they couldnt do it, and our bed was from ikea so they are not allowed to put that back together. So i ended up doing all the beds and we also helped with the unpacking

So why bother commenting and saying its common if this isn't what YOU paid for.

I didn't say it is not what i paid for just that as the 2 previous posters had stated about not all their boxes being unpacked i mentioned what happened with our beds and said that things like this must be quite common which i am sure they will be unless your name is Rupert who stands over the movers whilst every single pair of pants is folded correctly.

Guest The Pom Queen
i am sure they will be unless your name is Rupert who stands over the movers whilst every single pair of pants is folded correctly.

I think you are using this thread to dig at Rupert rather than commenting on the OP, any further comments will be deleted.

Well Colin it is only you talking about folding socks. I am commenting on having my things unpacked, unwrapped, definitely assembled, put away and all packaging removed, that is what I paid for and that is what OP paid for. If I don't like where my socks are, I can move them in due course, it never really felt so final to me.

But you have raised a very valid point, yes it is definitely necessary to think about where things might go if requesting the full unpacking service ... I guess things that seem obvious to some are not obvious to everyone.

The unpacking service I paid for only included taking things out of the boxes, not actually putting them in the cupboards. This would have suited me better as I felt the need to clean out all the cupboards before anything got put in them. As it happens we told the movers not to bother unpacking everything. My OH had decided getting the stuff delivered sooner was more important and persuaded the removal company to squeeze us in just a couple of days after our stuff was due to go through AQIS and the job before ours took longer than expected because it was bigger than they had been told it would be. The guys did take all the packaging of the big stuff and took it away and they offered to put the beds back together but we told them not to bother. It was just the things we were storing for now and the boxes of stuff that didn't get unpacked. It was well after six by the time they had finished so if we had got them to do the full service we would have still been there at midnight. :eek:

I certainly wasn't expecting the guys to unpack our boxes and put stuff in wardrobes and cupboards and drawers for us. What I was expecting, and what I thought I had paid for was for our furniture (mainly bedroom) to be put into the correct rooms, it was all clearly labelled up at the UK end so easy to direct to the correct room here. I would have then expected clothes etc to simply be emptied out of boxes onto the beds, tv's put on the units and anything else we didn't have an immediate home for to just be left in the boxes and they were supposed to come back and collect any boxes etc that were left unpacked at our request. None of this was mentioned to my partner, and yes she could have asked at the time, but as I mentioned earlier, we had just moved into the house that day, had brought some cupboard stuff and clothes etc from the furnished rental that we were in previously so she was busy putting this stuff away. Yes I could have and probably should have taken the day off work, but having only been here 3 months I don't have many hols, and needed to keep what I do have to have a couple of days off over the festive period with the other half of my family that I hadn't seen for 3 months, whilst also keeping as many possible for when family and friends visit later in the year, but in all fairness that was the whole point of me paying for this service in the first place.

Friends of ours here had theirs delivered (lady at home whilst hubby out at work), he came home to find all their stuff from England assembled and in the correct rooms and everything pretty much in its place. That's what I thought I had paid for, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reimbursement for the parts of the service I have not received through no fault of my own.

Unlike other things, like car servicing, decorators, gardeners etc etc where you pay after the work is done, the removal and shipping service is all paid for up front. If you pay someone to service your car up front or decorate your house, and they miss a few bits off, or don't paint a couple of rooms and you've paid up front, you would either point it out and get them to rectify the problem, or ask for a refund. As I can't ask them to come back and unpack and put stuff where its meant to go, because I've had to do it myself, my only course of action is to request a reimbursement.

I've just looked at my invoice again and it was £2600 which is just over $4000 so not the $5000 I initially thought, that was for the Dog we shipped as well...bloody expensive business this...thank heavens for Salary Sacrifice that's all I can say!

So based on that, how much do people reckon they would charge if you were paying them to deliver goods 280km to your door, unload a truck, unwrap, assemble and unpack stuff onto flat surfaces and take all of the wrapping and packaging away ? I reckon it would have taken them a good 4-5 hours at the very least to do all that once they were here !

Archived