HELP!!! Things to check before buying used car.

Janak

Hi there,

I am in the process of buying a used car. This will be my first car. So I have no idea what needs to be checked while buying a used car.

Actually this car will be for learning myself to drive.

Any help on what things I need to consider would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Janak

Hi there,

I am in the process of buying a used car. This will be my first car. So I have no idea what needs to be checked while buying a used car.

Actually this car will be for learning myself to drive.

Any help on what things I need to consider would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Janak

I m really not a professional in the matter of the automobile but just sharing my experience, I m on my first car 2nd hand, had km of about 200 k was In a good condition when I bought it, just after 2 months i went for service i was advised thing to change the timing belt, which came out to be near $1700 worth of extra expenses. Wasn't a good experience when I paid that money to the mechanics.

So just be careful with the timing belt too, if there is any leakage underneath the engine area, then it not very healthy for ur wallet.

I m really not a professional in the matter of the automobile but just sharing my experience, I m on my first car 2nd hand, had km of about 200 k was In a good condition when I bought it, just after 2 months i went for service i was advised thing to change the timing belt, which came out to be near $1700 worth of extra expenses. Wasn't a good experience when I paid that money to the mechanics.

So just be careful with the timing belt too, if there is any leakage underneath the engine area, then it not very healthy for ur wallet.

Thanks Nads for your quick. Will definitely consider this thing first.

Feel sorry for you.

For around $100. the RACQ will come out and check it over for you and report on any likely problems.

As Nads says, the timing belt can be an expensive replacement and many folk sell their cars just before it is up for replacement. Vehicles vary in the number of km's that they need the belt replacing, so check the vehicles service book before buying and check whether the timing has been done, or is due to be done.

the RAC inspection is not worth the paper its printed on and they have no laibilty if the car is in fact a dangerous wreck. I have witnissed this time and time over !

I would ask someone to come with you who knows about cars, check the tyres, rego, oil etc

id go for something for under 100kms, also check online reviews as some cars require engine rebuilds at 100kms, cam belt changes etc, make sure its been serviced regualrly and has a service history. I guess in WA the best idea is to take it over the pitts, they will tell you exactly what needs doing to make it safe and legal but dont know if a car owner would be up for that!

If you don't know anything about cars, then I would first of all probably not buy privately but would stick to one of the main dealerships who will have a stock of second hand cars as well as the brand new ones.

If you have somebody that knows about cars then that is great, see if they will come with you, but if you don't then I would also recommend that you get the RACQ check or similar. To the post above, well of course they are not going to take liability for a $100 service, but it is better than nothing and should weed out the complete duds.

General advice - pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer as you have some come back.

Apart from that, be sensible and take your time. If a used car seems like too good a deal to be true, it normally will be. As a few pointers:

- Don't let the salesman pressure you in to buying something. There are loads of cars out there so pick the right one.

- Check for obvious signs of accident damage - this means looking to see if the gaps between the panels are even (if they're wider between some panels this could means they have been replaced), checking for over spray under the bonnet (i.e. flecks of paint where someone has resprayed the car).

- Check the VIN (vehicle identification number). This will be under the bonnet, stamped in to the metal or on a plate. Does this tally with the registration document?

- Take off the oil filler cap under the bonnet. It should have a film of brown oil on the bottom. Any milky or white deposits means your head gasket is on the way out which is a big job to fix.

- Check when the timing belt was last done. Do a bit of research on Google on the model beforehand and find out the recommended interval. If it's gone over this then either get the dealer to do it for you (don't add this on to the price you want to pay) or walk away.

- Start the engine and give it few big revs - if any white or blue smoke comes out of the back the engine is shot, so don't bother.

- Always go for a test drive (or get someone to take you out on one). You want to check for any knocking noises, rattles, rough engine notes, jerky gear changes etc. If the salesman is with you and keeps talking throughout, beware. This is an old trick to distract you from something they don't want you to hear. Check all the temp guage and make sure it's in the middle. Also, make sure you find somewhere you can do an emergency stop - you want to check if the car pulls to the left or right.

- Check all electrical items (lights, wipers, radio, windows etc). Make sure they all work.

- Check your tyres. They should have no bald spots and should be worn evenly (i.e. not bald on the inside and loads of tread on the outside).

- Check all the paperwork thoroughly. Make sure the car has been serviced (stamps in the book or paperwork). If the previous owner hasn't bothered to keep receipts then it's a sign that they could have neglected other things.

- Finally, don't become blinded by the nice shiney car you see first. Set aside plenty of time to look around and whatever you do, always go home and cool off for 24 hours before you buy anything. The car will still be there tomorrow.

Good luck!

General advice - pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer as you have some come back.

Apart from that, be sensible and take your time. If a used car seems like too good a deal to be true, it normally will be. As a few pointers:

- Don't let the salesman pressure you in to buying something. There are loads of cars out there so pick the right one.

- Check for obvious signs of accident damage - this means looking to see if the gaps between the panels are even (if they're wider between some panels this could means they have been replaced), checking for over spray under the bonnet (i.e. flecks of paint where someone has resprayed the car).

- Check the VIN (vehicle identification number). This will be under the bonnet, stamped in to the metal or on a plate. Does this tally with the registration document?

- Take off the oil filler cap under the bonnet. It should have a film of brown oil on the bottom. Any milky or white deposits means your head gasket is on the way out which is a big job to fix.

- Check when the timing belt was last done. Do a bit of research on Google on the model beforehand and find out the recommended interval. If it's gone over this then either get the dealer to do it for you (don't add this on to the price you want to pay) or walk away.

- Start the engine and give it few big revs - if any white or blue smoke comes out of the back the engine is shot, so don't bother.

- Always go for a test drive (or get someone to take you out on one). You want to check for any knocking noises, rattles, rough engine notes, jerky gear changes etc. If the salesman is with you and keeps talking throughout, beware. This is an old trick to distract you from something they don't want you to hear. Check all the temp guage and make sure it's in the middle. Also, make sure you find somewhere you can do an emergency stop - you want to check if the car pulls to the left or right.

- Check all electrical items (lights, wipers, radio, windows etc). Make sure they all work.

- Check your tyres. They should have no bald spots and should be worn evenly (i.e. not bald on the inside and loads of tread on the outside).

- Check all the paperwork thoroughly. Make sure the car has been serviced (stamps in the book or paperwork). If the previous owner hasn't bothered to keep receipts then it's a sign that they could have neglected other things.

- Finally, don't become blinded by the nice shiney car you see first. Set aside plenty of time to look around and whatever you do, always go home and cool off for 24 hours before you buy anything. The car will still be there tomorrow.

Good luck!

Thank you Petkula73 for a wonderful reply.

I will be very careful now with the details you have provided.

Thank you once again.

Take someone along who knows a bit about cars. Definitely take a test drive and listen for any rattles, noises that shouldn't be there. Check all the gears and if it's a manual change up and down a lot to see if the box has any strange noises.

Check the clutch and see if it slips. Have a look at the mileage and ask for any bills from repairs.

Go along a straight, quite road and apply the brakes hard, to see if it pulls one way or the other. Have a look under the bonnet to see if at least looks clean.

If your buying privately never pay the asking price.

wow......great tips ...cheers :)

Good luck!

Archived