New apartments at Trevllian Quay, Kingston - Any thoughts?

Guest Guest74865

Guest Guest74865

My girlfriend and I are moving to Canberra in 3 weeks. We have a short term rental sorted for the first 3 weeks but will be looking for something long term on arrival.

We like the look of the apartments at Trevillian Quay, Kingston - It satisifes our needs of a modern apartment with an outdoor pool and gym facilities close to the bars and restaurants (http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential/52-11-trevillian-quay-kingston-canberra/1316840213111)

Does anyone know of any reason why I shouldnt think about moving here?

Thanks in advance

If that's what you're looking for, no reason not to. I know several other couples that have rented in Kingston and they seem pretty happy. Personally I think it's high rent for what it is (we pay about that for a 3-bed house further out) but that's due to the location and facilities, so if they're what you want then yeah, I'd go for it.

Guest Guest74865

Thanks for the replies. It's frustrating as we can't go for inspections until we arrive obviously but would love to try and secure an apartment before we leave. Has anyone any comments on the apartments themselves? In some of the photos it looks a little bit like a building site...

Thanks for the replies. It's frustrating as we can't go for inspections until we arrive obviously but would love to try and secure an apartment before we leave. Has anyone any comments on the apartments themselves? In some of the photos it looks a little bit like a building site...

It is a building site.

Nice area, but Canberra isn't exactly short of appartments. In fact there's talk of an over-provision of them, so try to barter down heavily on price.

Everywhere you look there is building, and squillions of apartments going up. Stromlo development alone is beyond comprehension and expanding like wildfire. A worker down from Sydney said he's never seen anything built with the speed they do it here. Must be big completion bonuses!

Guest Guest74865
Nice area, but Canberra isn't exactly short of appartments. In fact there's talk of an over-provision of them, so try to barter down heavily on price.

It never occurred to me that rent prices were negotiable. I was under the impression that the rental market was still very competitive. Is it common to negotiate on price?

Everywhere you look there is building, and squillions of apartments going up. Stromlo development alone is beyond comprehension and expanding like wildfire. A worker down from Sydney said he's never seen anything built with the speed they do it here. Must be big completion bonuses!

Or unsafe and poor quality building practices....

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/housebuilding-safety-blitz-nets-over-50-breaches-in-wright-20121213-2bcxu.html

Only some. The CT has a bee in the bonnetto about it, and yes there have been several deaths, but with the sheer voulme of building underway to be expected. Nearly all the companies/workers are from interstate.

Only some. The CT has a bee in the bonnetto about it, and yes there have been several deaths, but with the sheer voulme of building underway to be expected. Nearly all the companies/workers are from interstate.

Surely you don't mean they should expect deaths...this isn't India or China?

In the North up to 40% of the workers are Irish around Bonner, Forde, Casey, Crace...but they're all subbies or short term contracted.

It's the small independent builders who employ them but don't enforce safety rules. Just driving round there is amazing, ladders everywhere, no strapping, no fencing, cable lying about on the verges.

I think you've got it spot on about the volume....some of these guys are "hobbyist builders", way overstretched but they can just see $ signs and they try and go too fast by cutting corners.

Hi there! my partner and I recently moved to Canberra and a 2 bed apartment in Trevillian Quay was one of the first places we saw. So while the area is lovely (right next to the Old Bus Depot Markets and a short walk to Telopea Park), it is a building site and *very* loud from about 9am to 5pm (Monday through Friday). The other thing I wanted to mention is that the apartments have sizeable living areas but the bedrooms are small, and you can barely manage to fit in a double bed and a desk in the second/guest bedroom. I inspected the apartment on a Saturday and there was some building work going on, the noise was truly a deal breaker. Also, if like myself you don't drive, it is a 10 minute walk to the bus stops. This isn't very long at all but the street lighting is poor so come winter it'll be quite an ask!

BTW, I was able to negotiate on the rental price for where I live now (in the city). I put in a really cheeky offer which the landlord rejected but he came back with a price that was $20 less (per week) than the asking price.

Guest Guest74865

Trisha32, thanks for your helpful response. Despite the noise we are still slightly tempted! We will be working 9 til 5, Monday to Friday and with it being so hot when we arrive an outdoor pool will be a real novelty. I wondered if the property you saw was a genuine two bed or do you think maybe the second 'bedroom' was a study?

Can anyone else recommend a modern apartment complex with gym and outdoor pool? The only other that's caught my eye is 'The Avenue' apartments on Northbourne Avenue. Has anyone any opinions/experience regarding this property?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Edited by Guest74865

Hi again! The property was being marketed as a two bed (and if London standards are anything to go by, it was a two bed! hehehe) and while the living space was really nice and plush, the second bedroom was distinctly odd. A tiny little window with glorious views of the construction site ;-) My feeling is that numbers 11 and 17 of Trevillian quay all have small 2 bedrooms flats, and should really be called 2 bed plus study. However I could be wrong as I only saw two apartments in the complex. BTW, we seem to be interested in the same complexes! My partner and I saw a really nice apartment at the Avenue last month (Moore St entrance). Wonderful views of the Black Mountain tower. Only hitch? A small second bedroom and smaller than Trevillian Quay (when we saw the property it was still furnished and we could barely open the bedroom door given the double bed !!) and oddly spaced out living area. I would say that the apartment we saw at the Avenue was 75sqm. We eventually decided upon an apartment in the city fringes/New Acton. If you are after a gym and pool, have you seen the apartments on all homes listed under City, Acton, New Acton? Most of the new builds have a gym and some have a gym and a pool. I also saw new builds in Kingston (Eyre Street), Forrest, and Braddon. The South Canberra apartments did not have a gym and a pool and the Braddon apartment only had a gym. Good luck with your search !

I'm not finding it that hot yet, certainly not every day in a pool weather. Dickson pool is great, that's outside.

Try the pool at Jamison. If they get the new slides approved and open it will be even better imho.