Help with buying a car

scotexpat

HI I'm in need of a car, i cant really aford to spend huge amounts and already i've been had costing me $2000 buying a duff car. So If anyone knows a mechanic who is able to come with me to view a car and give it the once over please let me know. I had thought i was good at spotting things but i ended up buying a car and the head was gone. Dont ask! I fell for a classic trap.

Anyway would be good if someone could help. I work during the day M to F and i'm a Paramedic at the weekends so i need a reliable car to get back and forward from the Wheatbelt.

Even a mechanic may not spot some things - especially if they only play up now and again. Easiest way is just to take it on a long drive and listen. The engine and gearbox sound will give you a good idea. Drive it cold and warm. 5 mins doesn't cut it. You want to take it for 30 mins at least. You want to drive it fast and slow. You want to use reverse. You want to go up a steep hill. I had a VW beetle that drove brilliantly, until you went uphill and the clutch started to slip. Accelerate fast in each gear, and then take your foot off the gas. Then, go over the car as if you are cleaning it. Check the lines are straight. Check underneath. Open the boot and pull everything out. Any doubts, walk away.

If you are paying $2000, there will be something wrong with it. Ask, and keep saying anything else? Then ask yourself if you can live with it. My skoda rear wiper broken, drivers elec window dodgy, heated mirrors don't work on right side, boot catch sticks, slight wobble when accelerating, needed two new tyres. But I paid £1700, and I've done 25000 so far (touch wood) and it's going well.

In Victoria you can pay for a RACV check. Perth may have something similar.

This would be worthwhile if buying a cheapish car

Hi - You can organise a vehicle check through the RAC of WA. Not sure if you need to be a member though, but it might be worth considering joining them. You can join online for under $100 at the moment according to their ads. Wouldn't be without my RAC membership.

Archived