take a container or not???

Chapz74

Hi All,

We are really in need of another opinion, We are due to fly out to Hobart Feb 17th 2013 and need to make our minds up whether of not its worth us taking the "whole house" in a container, or to start again and leave it here. We are not sure if airlines allow migrants extra luggage for essentials, i.e paperwork, HUsbands tools of trade, and sentimental items? we have had quotes of around £5,000 for a 20ft Container and was wondering what the cost of furniture is like in tas (ie, ikea like) if we were to start again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ellie & Ray xxxxx

Hi Ellie,

RE migrant allowance for luggage

Singapore Airlines will allow you extra luggage for each person that is included on the migration visa (40Kg). You are best to telephone Singapore Airlines direct to clarify and get confirmation via email so when you check in you have it in writing.

Emirates do 30Kg as standard luggage allowance.

Qantas do offer a 'migrant' fare with extra luggage allowance but its much more expensive. Again you would have to call the Qantas reservation line to clarify and get confirmation in writing.

Join Qantas Frequent Flyer programme or the Virgin Australia programme before you go so you can start collecting points.

Re Moving household contents

Hobart seems to have a few reasonable size furnished houses for rental. This could be an initial option until you are definite about where you want to live or if you intend to have a trial period before deciding to stay.

Look on http://www.realestate.com.au for examples.

Moving all your household contents can be worthwhile if you think of the time and effort to go source everything individually and to get it delivered.

Tasmania can be a bit more expensive than the 'mainland' for certain items and there is less choice, so I would be of the mind to bring it all if you are making a permanent move.

I am sure there are others on the forum that can provide advice re shipping 'deals'.

Hi Chapz74

We are in the same boat, had a visit to Oz in uk summer 2012 for 5 weeks but found every thing more expensive, except fuel!! We have had 4-5 shippers out giving quotes and after comments & searches on the web, we have been quoted £4k for a 20ft container which would accomodate a 5 bedroom house which we currently live in. So unless you goods require replacing, pay for shipping and keep what you have to save you £££££.

Good luck

We are heading out to Melbourne late march, so not sure if price's are different getting stuff to Hobart.

Most of the airlines mentioned above, excess baggage is for a permanent unvalidated visa only.

You can take tools etc, just can't go over the limit of your allowance else it will cost. Although Qantas now charge a flat fee per extra bag iirc. Not that expensive either but only one bag extra per person I think.

You could ship over personal effects etc and not bring furniture. That can get their quicker if you air freight it.

I have a lot of ikea stuff and had been wondering on the whole ship or replace question but on checking it out discovered Ikea oz to be much more expensive eg my slim 6 drawer chest £75 in UK but $299 in oz which the exchange calculator tells me is approx £199. I visited Ikea in Melbourne whilst we were there in Sept the little things like glasses etc seem comparable so prob would still shop there for bits n bobs but big stuff no way.

We didnt bring any furniture , just sent a few boxes of hubbys tools and personal stuff in a shared container with Crown. It worked well for us as it meant we didnt have to scrimp and 'camp' until our furniture came and we could buy what we wanted when we needed it - To suit the house. In hindsight ,i probably shouldve brought my fridge and dryer but other than that i would do the same again.

Cal x

we have had quotes of around £5,000 for a 20ft Container and was wondering what the cost of furniture is like in tas (ie, ikea like) if we were to start again?

There isn't an Ikea store in Tassie. The cheapest place for furniture is probably

http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/home

Can't vouch for the quality, though!

To give you an idea - these are more expensive places which do have stores here:

http://www.freedom.com.au/furniture/

http://www.fortywinks.com.au/

Also, because of the smaller population, there won't be the choice you are used to.

When I sat down and added up the cost of all my IKEA furniture in London, I was surprised how cheap it was - certainly less than $5,000. In the end I got the double luggage allowance from Singapore Airlines and had done with it.

Make sure you get something in writing re: the luggage allowance. I had a stopover in Singapore and this appeared to compromise my allowance somehow. I had to fight not to pay excess baggage to Sydney, they gave in eventually, but not before they threatened to call security for my use of "fruity language"! Not done in Singapore.

I am a single person so that makes a big difference but, to be frank, I've had enough hassle moving around my 50 kilos, let alone an emormous shipping container! For me, it makes sense to travel light and maintain maximum flexibility.

• 4 weeks later...

i am so gald we brought all our stuff, there is no Ikea here which is a shame and Harvey Norman prices are extortionate, my advice would be bring what you can! I got my freind to send me some yellow dusters cos i can't find them here!

we have bought some things here but Manchester (as they call it, bedding to us) is quite expensive.

i tell what is expensive bloody curtains and curtain poles!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would bring everything that you can. The amount of things that we left behind because "we wouldn't need it" only to have to buy it again has driven me mad. Bring it all if you can and save some money and lots of swear words ( keep the swear words for something really important )

RAS

• 1 month later...

Take EVERYTHING you own with you!!!

We moved to Qld 22months ago and I regret leaving things like my old weights, tools etc. Everything here costs 2-3 times as much as you'd expect, there is little choice due to the Australian zenophobic attitude to importing goods. Ikea here costs about the same as Parker Knowle!!!

Also, be prepared to suffer some loses during transit/customs, broken surf boards, conficated goods, we had it all.

Good luck, Jonathan