English language test? When im English???

mel73

Hi All, im a tad confused. Im a stone mason who has a construction degree. Ive been assesed on the 189 visa and still cannot reach 60 points. Im currently on 55 and the only area i can progress in is the English language test. The points test asks if ive taken the english test in the last 36 months, although as im English im awarded no points!!! Really dumb founded on this.

I have family in Victoria who would sponsor me on the 489 but im not looking for a 4 year stay. I need the permanent visa. Can anyone please give me some advice on this!!! Many thanks

If sitting IELTS will give you the extra points ,then maybe swat up and go for it. Im pretty sure you cant claim points for Englsih unless you do it, despite the fact you are english,lol

Good luck with it, we personally didnt have to do it but i know a few members have struggled with bits of the test ,so definately read up about it.

Cal x

Go and do the IELTS, I'm English born and bred and did an English based Engineering Degree. I still went and did an english test as I only had 55 points without it. £125 later and a lot of studying (yes you need to study even though your english), I got the extra 20 points for Superior english and bumped my app upto 75 points.

You can find your nearest test centre here :- https://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/search_results.aspx

As has been said, my advice would be to do the IELTS to gain extra points.

The 489 visa is a prov visa for 4 years, but after 2 years of living and 1 year of working in a regional area (the whole of Victoria is classed as regional) you can apply for PR.

Good Luck with the IELTS.

Hi All, im a tad confused. Im a stone mason who has a construction degree. Ive been assesed on the 189 visa and still cannot reach 60 points. Im currently on 55 and the only area i can progress in is the English language test. The points test asks if ive taken the english test in the last 36 months, although as im English im awarded no points!!! Really dumb founded on this.

I have family in Victoria who would sponsor me on the 489 but im not looking for a 4 year stay. I need the permanent visa. Can anyone please give me some advice on this!!! Many thanks

Yeah is a bit mad alright, but that's the rules and you need 60 points.

The British/Irish/USA/Canadian passport gives you equivalent to 6.0 which is the minimum requirement, 7.0 (Proficient) gives 10 points and 8.0 (Superior) gives 20 points. Of course if you were able to meet the points buy using the passport only you wouldn't need to do the IELTS.

If you had something like a PhD or were younger or something you probably wouldn't need the IELTS

Archived