Just starting out and looking for advice

lynste

I am in the process of applying to universities in Australia to complete my degree as an international student. (SA/WA/QLD)

It's seems a bit of a minefield but reasonably easy to apply without the need of agents.

We have budgeted for the following upfront fees so far

Uni fees $40,000

oshc (family) $1420

Visa fees $800

A little confused re the following and would appreciate any useful input

Will my 2 children 6 & 10 be able to attend public school whilst I am there and will I be required to pay fees.

my husband has his own business which can be run from UK/Oz and will spend most of the time with me but will require to travel back to the UK at least once every 6 months. Will he be able to travel without me?

I am aware as a temp visa holder I would not be eligible for the equivilant of child benefit, but will I still be entitled to my current Uk benefits (not that I get much)

Welcome to poms in oz! :-D

first question, depends on where you end up as to what school fees you pay. Even for Aussies there are some fees each year.

Second question, yes, no problem.

Last question, no, you have to be living in the uk to claim uk benefits.

Thanks Blossom

Our preferace would be to go to SA hopefully Adelaide.

Maybe I wasn't clear with regards to the children's school fees. I understand that every family has some fees to pay for uniforms/sundries/trips etc, but will I be required to pay $1000's for them to actually attend or will the education be free as it is for PR?

As we will still own our home and business back in the UK will being in Oz for 2years have a detrimental effect on us returning? I am wondering if we would be better to not include husband as dependant and for him to come on a tourist visa?

Guest Amy Newnham

Hi Lynste,

Are you wanting to do a Master or a degree? If you do a Master, you'd be better going to either QLD or WA as Master degree students get free schooling (no school fees I mean) for their children... Otherwise, you'll have to factor in $8,000 per child per year in schooling fees.

I would recommend going to an immigration company as they will be able to advise you with your legal options in the UK/Australia - if you still being residents of the UK, you might have problems with schooling etc. when you get back... What do you want to do at uni? I have looked at studying overseas before and found Degrees Ahead (http://www.degreesahead.co.uk) to be quite helpful with getting onto courses/advising you about your choices.

Good luck!

Amy

Hi Lynste,

Are you wanting to do a Master or a degree? If you do a Master, you'd be better going to either QLD or WA as Master degree students get free schooling (no school fees I mean) for their children... Otherwise, you'll have to factor in $8,000 per child per year in schooling fees.

Really? on the Qld education website there were some exemptions but not a masters - a postgrad research visa, yes, and various other scholarship options http://www.eqi.com.au/pdfs/exemption_criteria.pdf but otherwise fees here http://www.eqi.com.au/programs/dependant-student.html

I believe SA charges lower fees for student dependents $4500 rather than the $8-10k of other states (per child per annum) but follow the links here to find out http://www.internationalstudents.sa.edu.au/children-of-international-tertiary-students -it depends on your visa

Fees for WA here http://www.eti.wa.edu.au/studying-at-schools/policies-regarding-enrolling-the-dependents-of-students-exchange-programs-and-study-tours.html a bit lower at $6k pa

Bear in mind, too, that if you aspire to a permanent residence visa at the end of your study then the same conditions apply as for your original visa while they consider your application and so it wouldnt be just the 4 years for an honours degree but afterwards as well.

Just as well you didnt fancy ACT, their fees are around the $10k per child pa mark.

Bottom line, yes, you will have to pay quite a bit for the privilege of having your children educated in Australian state schools and even more (as temporary resident international students) in private schools so that will definitely need to be factored into your calculations.

They subsidize 457 temporary visa holders(business visa, people paying Aus tax while they work) but not the dependents of international students unless (in some cases) you are on a university or commonwealth scholarship (usually given to people from developing nations for postgrad research). If you are on a student visa then they are quite clear that fees will be levied on your dependents in school. The links I have given are all in agreement in that some fees are payable. IIRC SA is the only state which discounts for students' dependents in comparison with international students in schools. Which visa will you be coming on? It's easier to find exact amounts if you know that.

Student visas aren't like other temporary visas - they are designed to let people into the country to study and purchase Australian services. They aren't a guaranteed pathway to permanent residence and the expectation is that you will leave at the end of your course of study. The business temporary visas are a different kettle of fish with people contributing to the workforce and filling gaps in service. There is a much clearer pathway for temp business visa holders to become permanent but you are correct that only NSW and ACT are the only states that charge for 457 visa holders.

Should have said too - your husband might not get several consecutive years worth of tourist visa so he would be better to be a dependent and, as such, he could work 20hrs a week if he wanted.

Are you sure that your degree would be finished in 2 years?

Ok I am getting confused re school fees.

I have read ther threads which state only ACT/NSW charge fees up to $14000 whilst QLD/WA give temp visa holders the same education subsidy as a permanent or citizen.:confused:

You will be paying school fees on the student visa, you are thinking of the 457 visa where education is free in some states.

To be honest, it really doesn't seem worth it. I could (at a stretch) understand why people might do this if they want to go to a world renowned university, like Harvard or maybe Oxford, but not to aan Australian university. (nothing against them, but also nothing you won't find n the UK).

Thanks Blossom

Our preferace would be to go to SA hopefully Adelaide.

Maybe I wasn't clear with regards to the children's school fees. I understand that every family has some fees to pay for uniforms/sundries/trips etc, but will I be required to pay $1000's for them to actually attend or will the education be free as it is for PR?

As we will still own our home and business back in the UK will being in Oz for 2years have a detrimental effect on us returning? I am wondering if we would be better to not include husband as dependant and for him to come on a tourist visa?

I knew what you meant, I just meant that even Aussies pay some school fees. I'm in sa and everyone I work with has to pay something (actual fees, not extras).

You should have no problem returning to the uk. If that is your plan then make sure you carry on paying national insurance contributions while you are away and you should be fine.

I wouldn't have thought your hubbie coming on a tourist visa was an option. Add him to your student visa anyway, he can spend as little or as much time with you as he likes then, and do some work.

Just be aware about the 20 hour work rule (some uni courses are exempt from this).

I am in the process of applying to universities in Australia to complete my degree as an international student. (SA/WA/QLD)

It's seems a bit of a minefield but reasonably easy to apply without the need of agents.

We have budgeted for the following upfront fees so far

Uni fees $40,000

oshc (family) $1420

Visa fees $800

A little confused re the following and would appreciate any useful input

Will my 2 children 6 & 10 be able to attend public school whilst I am there and will I be required to pay fees.

my husband has his own business which can be run from UK/Oz and will spend most of the time with me but will require to travel back to the UK at least once every 6 months. Will he be able to travel without me?

I am aware as a temp visa holder I would not be eligible for the equivilant of child benefit, but will I still be entitled to my current Uk benefits (not that I get much)

If you do not intend to study in Australia with a view to applying for permanent residence in due course, ignore the red parts of this post and apply for whatever course suits you.

I am frequently contacted by DIY student-visa applicants who were advised by course providers and/or 'education agents' and find themselves with a monumental stuff up. Some agents refer clients to course providers for which they act as agents and not necessarily to the most beneficial course or institution.

Course providers and unregistered agents are not supposed to give migration advice, but they do it anyway.

There are very significant differences among institutions and courses of study for students undertaking courses to support an application for permanent residence.

Your children will be required to attend school, budget up to $10 000 per child. There are ways around this.

Have you budgeted for travel, accommodation, living expenses?

Have you confirmed that your proposed course of study would satisfy the Australian Study Requirement? Consult Google.

Your husband would have unrestricted travel rights, as would you and your children.

May I suggest that you insist on receiving written advice about your prospects of qualifying for permanent residence before you commit to a course of action?

Written advice on prospects of pr at the end of the course are worth nothing at all! We all know just how quickly and often the rules have changed. It could be out of date next month.

Other than -

It could be out of date next month
You are wrong.

If a course of action involving study in Australia has no prospects of success now, it is most unlikely to have prospects of success some years later. For example:

From the information you provided, I regret to advise that completion of a course in utter BS from the University for Extracting Fees will not improve your prospects of successfully applying for general skilled migration to Australia.
This information is certainly worth more than nothing at all.

Under the current regulations, completing an Australian degree is worth at least 15 migration points, possibly 25 if it satisfies the Australian Study requirement; more for a higher degree. This is worth knowing.

Work rights depend on the degree being undertaken and Australian work experience completed in conjunction with study is worth migration points. There is no longer a 20 hours a week work restriction and in some case no restriction at all. This is worth knowing.

I have never advised a client to undertake a course of study in Australia, except for some medical and other professionals who had to pass various courses for their pre-migration skills assessments and/or points.

About 90% of the time I advise prospective students not to waste their money on a student visa and I charge the other 10% $150 for advice about how to apply on their own behalf, with my assessment of their prospects. This is worth having.

There is no way of knowing whether a students will pass a given course, or whether passing it will qualify them to apply for any skilled occupation that might be on a relevant skilled occupation list at a relevant time. You can take it as read that unregistered agents, course providers and education agents especially (who work on commissions) will not give a detailed, written professional assessment about the likelihood of passing a course, or the implications for PR. This is worth knowing.

I know of many cases where students have undertaken courses in disciplines that were not related to any occupation on a SOL at the time and for which there was no expectation of a relevant occupation being added. On the other hand I have advised certain IT professionals who could not qualify for state sponsorship to apply for skills assessments that were not open to skilled independent applicants at the time -

Although your skilled occupation is not on the relevant list now, the Australian government is spending billions on network infrastructure and your occupation will almost certainly be added - and it came to pass.

Some of the factors to be assessed when advising prospective students include: academic aptitude, English language ability, budget, and prospects for PR. Not all students intend to apply for PR, but I have yet to meet one. A considered professional assessment from an experienced RMA with postgraduate education qualifications and 20 years teaching experience is worth having.

Thus far when students have taken notice of my assessments they have had 100% success rate and (for the ones I know about) when they have not they have had an expensive shambles.

Here is some crystal ball gazing for you:

1. When the NDIS is in place, which skilled occupations will be in demand?

2. Do you know that there are not enough places for medical graduates to undertake their internships and preference is being given to international students? What does this tell you about ‘reputable’ course providers offering courses that lead nowhere, except to the bank?

Thought for the day: If you know nothing, say nothing.

I am also looking for PhD opportunities to complete my Education Ladder , so I hope to offer you some suggestions :

Some of the top rated universities are Uni of Sydney , Monash , Uni of Western Australia .

NOTE: PhD in New Zealand is Local domestic fee rate , ie NZD 5600/-to 7000/- only . ( AMAZING FEE STRUCTURE OFFERED BY NZ ONLY FOR ALL PhD STUDENTS- DOMESTIC OR INTL)

But the main factors to consider before starting any study course are:

1. Field of study( Engineering , Science , Arts , Medicine etc)- Bachelors, Post Grad, Doctorate , Post Grad Diploma , Trade certificate etc

2. Fees and Scholarships or grants

3. Location and region

4. University Ranking and Rating ( If you really care)

5. Campus Recruitment and local job market

6. Career oriented courses at particular universities

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mushahid M

When you say there is no longer a 20 hour work restriction, do you mean that it has just changed to 40 hours a fortnight (unless you are doing a masters bla bla bla)? In which case that seems a very cryptic thing to say, when really, not much has changed at all.

And I still stand by my statement that you can not know what the rules will be in two years time or more. You might have a good idea, but immigration are not always sensible, it all depends what pressures the government at that time are under.

Op, if you DO decide to spend money on an agent, I thoroughly recommend George Lombard. He won't give you cryptic answers and will tell you how it is. Good luck.

I am also looking for PhD opportunities to complete my Education Ladder , so I hope to offer you some suggestions :

Some of the top rated universities are Uni of Sydney , Monash , Uni of Western Australia .

NOTE: PhD in New Zealand is Local domestic fee rate , ie NZD 5600/-to 7000/- only . ( AMAZING FEE STRUCTURE OFFERED BY NZ ONLY FOR ALL PhD STUDENTS- DOMESTIC OR INTL)

But the main factors to consider before starting any study course are:

1. Field of study( Engineering , Science , Arts , Medicine etc)- Bachelors, Post Grad, Doctorate , Post Grad Diploma , Trade certificate etc

2. Fees and Scholarships or grants

3. Location and region

4. University Ranking and Rating ( If you really care)

5. Campus Recruitment and local job market

6. Career oriented courses at particular universities

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mushahid M

Select your project carefully and your supervisor even more carefully.

Archived