What can happen if i don't stay in VIC for 2 years as" required" under the SS agrement

fergal007

Shot in the dark really, just wondering if anyone knows what happens if i don't stay in Victoria for my 2 years as is required under the "gentlemen " agreement with the granting of my VIC SS in 2011.

I really like Melbourne and Victoria but I am finding limited jobs in that state in my industry, and it will probably only get worse! WA and North QLD seem to have a lot more going on in construction and engineering. I am going to go into the DIAC office in Melbourne and see what my options are in the new year, I'm willing to stick it out for another 6 months, that will mean I have been here 1 year.

I would just like to know has anyone any information or personal experiences with this type of situation before I approach DIAC in the new year. Any info would be great :) and i can ponder over it over the Christmas :)

I was granted Australian citizenship half way through my 2 years of state sponsorship. I received the third of my emails from the state department wanting to know where I lived etc as it was "a condition of my visa". I replied that I no longer had a visa as I was now an Australian Citizen. I received a very terse email back stating that even though I was Australian, I still had to respond to their requests for information about my whereabouts as it was a "legal requirement". I'm not sure what would have happened if I had pursued this......

BB

I was granted Australian citizenship half way through my 2 years of state sponsorship. I received the third of my emails from the state department wanting to know where I lived etc as it was "a condition of my visa". I replied that I no longer had a visa as I was now an Australian Citizen. I received a very terse email back stating that even though I was Australian, I still had to respond to their requests for information about my whereabouts as it was a "legal requirement". I'm not sure what would have happened if I had pursued this......

BB

Sorry a lil confused, isn't the Australian citizenship granted after 4 years of stay on a PR visa ? I am also confused about this I have SS for NSW, however I have been getting more favorable responses from Victoria about jobs. I have mailed the NSW SS guys, let's see what they say.

Have read through multiple threads on the forum that it is a moral obligation, and we are free to move to other states.Even consulted a lawyer he also said that there is no condition set on the visa that can stop us from moving.

Anyways will see what the NSW SS people reply to my mail. Will keep this thread updated on the reply I get.

Sorry a lil confused, isn't the Australian citizenship granted after 4 years of stay on a PR visa ?

The law changed in 2007: if you received PR before 2007 you could get citizenship after two years. Since July 1 2010, most people applying for citizenship needs four years residence.

Since July 1 2010, most people applying for citizenship needs four years residence.

Residence yes, but not permanent residence. Anyone on a 457, for instance, which includes a vast proportion of immigrants, can count up to 3 years on this visa towards the 4 year requirement. We were on a 461 before getting PR, which is how we got citizenship with 1 year of state sponsorship still to run.

BB

Sorry a lil confused, isn't the Australian citizenship granted after 4 years of stay on a PR visa ? I am also confused about this I have SS for NSW, however I have been getting more favorable responses from Victoria about jobs. I have mailed the NSW SS guys, let's see what they say.

Have read through multiple threads on the forum that it is a moral obligation, and we are free to move to other states.Even consulted a lawyer he also said that there is no condition set on the visa that can stop us from moving.

Anyways will see what the NSW SS people reply to my mail. Will keep this thread updated on the reply I get.

Yea it takes 4 years now to become a citizen , please do keep us updated Illuminati as to what NSW SS people say to you and i will let you all know hopefully in the new year as to my outcome with the VIC SS people. As far as I am aware its only a "moral agreement"

Yea it takes 4 years now to become a citizen , please do keep us updated Illuminati as to what NSW SS people say to you and i will let you all know hopefully in the new year as to my outcome with the VIC SS people. As far as I am aware its only a "moral agreement"

Well I got a pretty standard reply in mail from the NSW SS people.Even though I sent them a detailed email explaining my situation. Here is there reply "If you were nominated for state nomination by NSW then you have committed to living and working in NSW for a minimum of 2 years."

Well I got a pretty standard reply in mail from the NSW SS people.Even though I sent them a detailed email explaining my situation. Here is there reply "If you were nominated for state nomination by NSW then you have committed to living and working in NSW for a minimum of 2 years."

Hmmmmmm nothing much in that! Maybe you should arrange a meeting with them? Cheers for the update. Whats to stop you retaining a residential address or a PO box in NSW and still moving else where, your NSW address could be used as a primary address? Im thinking I could do the same in VIC if needed be?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived