Employment in Australia

Henrik7

Hi Folks

just joined the forum today and would like to say a big hello from scotland. Looking for some advice if possible as just starting out in the process of migrating to Australia under the skilled visa.

One of the first questions i have is - If a company was willing to offer you a job prior to starting the process or during the process of your application, would this help speed things up in lodging your application or do you still need to go through all steps, ie skills assessment, IELTS test, meds etc.

I am currently starting out in the process and have been in contact with a friend in Adelaide and also Perth to see if there are any companies looking for painter / decorators and willing to offer contract of employment.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

John

If it's the permanent skilled visa you want then yes you still need to go through all the steps. The first step is always to make sure your skill is on the list and you'll have enough points. You could get into Australia quicker on a temporary visa (e.g. a 457) with an employer sponsor and then apply for the permanent visa.

ive just got a state sponsored visa, and have just rocked up in point cook, vic.

all is good, no job yet though. ive been here a month and no job!*

38degrees, that wasnt in the discription lol

see i can still winge like a pom!

*it helps if you apply for some, instead of touring and working out the best oz beer.

seriously tho, if you can secure work before you get here, then go for it. however from the threads i've read here, its not easy. more a who you know that what you know situation.

good luck :)

Hi Folks

just joined the forum today and would like to say a big hello from scotland. Looking for some advice if possible as just starting out in the process of migrating to Australia under the skilled visa.

One of the first questions i have is - If a company was willing to offer you a job prior to starting the process or during the process of your application, would this help speed things up in lodging your application or do you still need to go through all steps, ie skills assessment, IELTS test, meds etc.

I am currently starting out in the process and have been in contact with a friend in Adelaide and also Perth to see if there are any companies looking for painter / decorators and willing to offer contract of employment.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

John

Hi and welcome to PIO.

Unfortunately no, a job offer will not help you with a skilled migrant visa or the processing thereof. If an employer is that keen to acquire the services of an individual then they would need to be willing to sponsor in order to speed things up.

Hi Ken,

thanks for your response. yeh its the perm skilled visa im going for and it appears that my trade of painter and decorator is on the list and have enough points. though if i go for state sponsersehip it would give me more and quicken things up. i was kinda hoping that if secured employment pre hasnd then would maybe not need to do the IELTS test as having not studied for exams etc since 1995 lol i may struggle. any help and tips on this would help budy

Hi cheers for the advice buddy. looks like the only way of getting it quicker would be if the empoloyer was also willing to sponser aswell, which probably in this day and age would be slim to none lol unless as you say who you know - just like back at home.

regards j

Personally, especially if you qualify, id rather the process take longer and move here with a PR visa than take an employer sponsered just to get here quicker. The sponsered does carry some risks and the PR visa leaves you in a much more secure position.

Cal x

Hi Cal, cheers. i had kinda heard that one of the pitfalls of the employer sponsered visa was that if the job fell through or if was terminated then you only get a certain amount of time to secure another employer sponsered role or you and whoever is with you are out on your ear as they say.

with regards j

You would be better to go through the GSM, as a trade overseas may still require a skills assessment for the 457 visa.

Have a look as some of the IELTS test papers online, its maybe not as bad as you think. And can give big boost to your points.

Run your case past a registered Migration Agent - Overseas Emigration are based in Edinburgh - there have a good reputation. I spoke to them at start of process, but we didnt use an agent in the end.

Archived