Medicals!

pegibson

Hi all.

Just been given the go ahead to get medicals, booked in at the local Nuffield for tomorrow!

What should I expect there?

I have visions of having to run on a treadmill for ages whilst strapped to all sorts of monitors:arghh:

also. they said on booking in, we don't getthe results, they get sent direct to DIAC, so how will we know if we passed? can we just ask the doc on the day and he will tell us?

Thanks.

Depends on your visa. Chat +- examination +- urine +- height/weight +- blood tests +- chest X-ray.

one stop shop over in a couple of hours. I got results of blood/ X-ray posted out. Everything else just found out after a couple of weeks when visa granted. I'd hope the dr would alert you to any abnormalities on history/exam.

No treadmills!

bertie B

Are the Medicals quite expensive? ( we're not at that stage yet)

Hi there,

It varies depending on were you go for them, we are using Plymouth Nuffield, I think its just shy of £300 each adult, and our daughter is under 16 so will be about £200 I think..

Medicals are quite basic - some places Ive read that people have had to strip off to undies. We didnt but went to one in Edinburgh.

I took my daughters red book - so had dates of vaccinations etc.

Ahh, the red book, thanks for reminding me :biggrin:

I did mine on monday just gone in Manchester:

Blood test, height, weight, pee in a pot - with the nurse

Stripped to pants with the doc who looked in my ears, eyes, mouth. Checked breathing and heart beat. Poked and proded round the neck, armpits and groin looking for any lumps. Inspected my skin to look for puncture marks etc. Checked i could lift my legs up whilst lying flat! That was bout it.

X-Ray was last and took about 5 minutes.

I did mine on monday just gone in Manchester:

Blood test, height, weight, pee in a pot - with the nurse

Stripped to pants with the doc who looked in my ears, eyes, mouth. Checked breathing and heart beat. Poked and proded round the neck, armpits and groin looking for any lumps. Inspected my skin to look for puncture marks etc. Checked i could lift my legs up whilst lying flat! That was bout it.

X-Ray was last and took about 5 minutes.

Sounds nice and easy then,

as long as nothing stands out that i dont know about, i should have nothing to worry about..

• 2 weeks later...

We are awaiting a CO and will need to sort medicals. Our nearest place is Cardiff and would appreciate experiences of having their medical there.

Thanks

So, we had our medicals done in Plymouth last week,

and it was a dodle.

No stripping off either.

Started with our photos being taken for record, then xrays.

After that had to give a urine sample, then on to see the doc. He was really friendly and put us at ease straight away.

A few questions asked, eye test, quick poke of the belly, then a blood test, job done!

Only one thing came back as a problem, slight protein in the urine which was in our case not drinking enough before hand,

So the doc let us drink some water and come back when ready to give another sample. I drank about 2 litres ready for next sample.

Luckily it helped, and it was clear, he said if it wasn't clear, DIAC would ask for another blood test "at extra cost" to check for kidney problems.

So anyone about to do your medicals, drink lots and lots of water before hand..:xmas23:

So, we had our medicals done in Plymouth last week,

and it was a dodle.

No stripping off either.

Started with our photos being taken for record, then xrays.

After that had to give a urine sample, then on to see the doc. He was really friendly and put us at ease straight away.

A few questions asked, eye test, quick poke of the belly, then a blood test, job done!

Only one thing came back as a problem, slight protein in the urine which was in our case not drinking enough before hand,

So the doc let us drink some water and come back when ready to give another sample. I drank about 2 litres ready for next sample.

Luckily it helped, and it was clear, he said if it wasn't clear, DIAC would ask for another blood test "at extra cost" to check for kidney problems.

So anyone about to do your medicals, drink lots and lots of water before hand..:xmas23:

Why do they prod your stomach? What are they looking for there?

Glad your Meds went well. Thanks for the tip about drinking lots of water.

Why do they prod your stomach? What are they looking for there?

Glad your Meds went well. Thanks for the tip about drinking lots of water.

The doc said he was checking kidneys, liver etc, just for general swelling I guess, or if there was a problem you would wince in pain maybe! He wasn't shy about pushing quiet hard..

We are awaiting a CO and will need to sort medicals. Our nearest place is Cardiff and would appreciate experiences of having their medical there.

Thanks

We're from Bristol and actually went to Maidenhead for ours instead of Cardiff, it was considerably cheaper (enough to make it worth the drive). The Maidenhead people were great, I'd recommend them.

Only other thing I would recommend and apologies for TMI - but ladies, if it's your time of the month (or soon after), your urine will probably not come back clear. I actually had to go up to my local GP to redo the urine test and get them to fax through to the centre in Maidenhead a week later to get that one cleared!

Archived