457 visa, how do i get my partner to stay in WA with me.

scotexpat

Hi, I have arrived in Australia on a WHV and secured a 457 with an employer. My partner lives here in WA with me but on Holiday visa (no working rights). For personal reasons he was not added and also i didn't want to any create problems if a potential employer didn't want the responsability of two sponsors. (for those who do not know, an employer is responsable for both of you not just one and has a financial liability to you) Anyway i would like my partner to live in oz with me but he needs to be able to work. Is there there any way that he can be allowed without going on mine? he will need to go home in 6 months if we cannot get it sorted.

If you are not willing for him to be added to your visa, and provide the 6 months defacto evidence required. He will need to find his own sponsor, or apply for a visa which he is eligible for. Also he should check the conditions of the Visitors visa, as there could be the 8103 condition applied that he cant apply for any visa while onshore in Australia.

thank you guys for the response. At the moment i told my employer that he wont be on mine and i've only been with my new employer for 5 months. I really dont want to go back to them and ask them to sponsor him when i told them otherwise when i joined... :( He is a chef so hopefully he can get sponsorship that way.

As far as I'm aware on a 457 the employer isn't 'sponsoring' your partner - only you. He's just a de facto on your application, all your paperwork goes in together to get the visa processed, they don't have to pay any extra to have him included.

When my employer sponsored me I didn't have to tell them about my husband, he was just included when I filled in the forms and gathered the paperwork.

As far as I'm aware on a 457 the employer isn't 'sponsoring' your partner - only you. He's just a de facto on your application, all your paperwork goes in together to get the visa processed, they don't have to pay any extra to have him included.

When my employer sponsored me I didn't have to tell them about my husband, he was just included when I filled in the forms and gathered the paperwork.

Employers sponsoring 457 do have obligations in respect of all the people included on the visa, and they do have to agree to include other family members in the application.

For example if the employment and 457 ends - the sponsored visa holders can request the sponsoring employer to pay reasonable costs for their flights home and if so they are required to do this for all the people included on the visa (can be quite costly for large families). Or for example up to AU$10,000 towards the costs of locating and removing someone who does not leave the country at the end of the visa.

Archived