Quantity Surveyor / Contracts Administrator job availability in Oz?

yourfriendkyle

Hi,

I'm a QS currently living in the UK, but I have a permanent residency visa and will be in Oz April 2013 (Sydney specifically).

I have 7 years experience as a QS; 5 years experience in Infrastructure work (recent) and 2 in Refurbishment.

I am going to start enquiring with a few agencies soon and I was wondering what the current climate is like for looking for work?

Will I be ok with my current experience and the fact I already have a visa? I also have some excellent references which I'm hoping will help.

Also are there any tips people can share or stories on how things have worked out for them and what they did initially?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Just remember unless your a pqs over here your called a contracts administrator, also house builders do not have that role they use estimators and schedulers, then the office staff administer the contracts for payment etc. all the subbies are on fixed prices.

So the work is in the commercial sector, generally they are not interested in your qualifications you just need to audtralianise your cv and sell yourself at interview stage.

It's not the land of gold people like you to think it is, however compared to the uk it is a lot busier. If your good at your job you'll be fine.

Terminology is different as well we have roof plumbers (guttering etc) hydraulics (plumbers) diggers (banks men) carpenters are split into seperate trades

A lot to learn when you first get here but once you get a start after three months you'll be flying.

I don't know your field but some promising comments above. I was just going to say it is a bit too early to be contacting people if you are not planning on moving until at least April, wait until March, February at most. Otherwise you will just be contacting them again nearer the tiem anyway.

Just remember unless your a pqs over here your called a contracts administrator, also house builders do not have that role they use estimators and schedulers, then the office staff administer the contracts for payment etc. all the subbies are on fixed prices.

So the work is in the commercial sector, generally they are not interested in your qualifications you just need to audtralianise your cv and sell yourself at interview stage.

It's not the land of gold people like you to think it is, however compared to the uk it is a lot busier. If your good at your job you'll be fine.

Terminology is different as well we have roof plumbers (guttering etc) hydraulics (plumbers) diggers (banks men) carpenters are split into seperate trades

A lot to learn when you first get here but once you get a start after three months you'll be flying.

Interesting insight Bensdad. I am residential site manager, sounds like it will be a bit of a challenge early doors.

Guest katie007

Well put, with your permission would like to use this in my Info sheet directed to those with these Qualifications seeking 457 pathways into OZ !

Archived