10,000 extra workers required for WA resources sector

Cerberus1

Interesting artcile on the abc website @ http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-15/engineers-shortage-feature/4374944?section=wa

WA chamber of Minerals and energy estimates a further 10,000 workers will be required by resource sector companies over the next 18 months, with the premier anticipating the WA mining sector will require an extra 100,000 trained workers over the next decade.

Guest scrumpy
One of the funniest articles i have read in ages. It names my proffession and i am at a mine that are currently laying off engineers and geologists and those going are finding it very hard to get work.

You sound a handy bloke to know if your doing hireing and fireing, whats chance of a 44yr old hopefully EX-plumber finding any work, only real suitable qualification is that prepared to work like a dog, try anything, with no whinging!! At some point there will be more hireing than fireing!

cheerz

Edited by scrumpy

You sound a handy bloke to know if your doing hireing and fireing, whats chance of a 44yr old hopefully EX-plumber finding any work, only real suitable qualification is that prepared to work like a dog, try anything, with no whinging!! At some point there will be more hireing than fireing!

cheerz

Hi mate,

Are you giving up the plumbing game.

I arrive in Perth end of Jan, ive looked at other jobs but i enjoy plumbing and thats what i know .

im prepairing muslf mentally from running my wn business with employees to going to the bottom of the pile.

im going to get my licence ASAP ( hopefully )

ian

Guest scrumpy
Hi mate,

I arrive in Perth end of Jan, ive looked at other jobs but i enjoy plumbing and thats what i know .

im prepairing muslf mentally from running my wn business with employees to going to the bottom of the pile.

ian[/quote

I would like to give up the plumbing, as im pretty damn good here in UK, neat, tidy, pride in work etc, enjoy making things as efficient as poss no short cuts taken, however at 44 I wouldnt want to start at bottom of the pile, and if Im going to Oz for a change, then I want to have a change. But as with everthing, never say never!!!

If we get there , Perth area is where we are heading,

Good luck and let me know how you get on,

Hi mate,

ian[/quote

I would like to give up the plumbing, as im pretty damn good here in UK, neat, tidy, pride in work etc, enjoy making things as efficient as poss no short cuts taken, however at 44 I wouldnt want to start at bottom of the pile, and if Im going to Oz for a change, then I want to have a change. But as with everthing, never say never!!!

If we get there , Perth area is where we are heading,

Good luck and let me know how you get on,

Will do mate, im 40 so i know where your comng from.

im going to apply for my tradesmans licence this week ( you've got to post, not scan and e mail )

im going to give it a good go,

i said to my wife that id prefer to work on refurbs , cylinder changes, solar , maintainance etc rather than new builds .

when i get over i promise to keep you boys still in uk an honest update of work good or bad .

have you got your visa yet ???

Ian

Guest scrumpy

EOI should hopefully be going in by the end of this month, just waiting for WA to get back with state sponsership, which went to them just over 60 working days ago, so any time now

cheers

Guest scrumpy
60 days

Our s/s went through in a day

glad we applied before the visa change

I know its a pain in the arse, I could of got threw before July 1st if wasnt for having to retake IELTS!!!

cheerz

Would love to help, but i am laying off staff. 40% of my team are working their last day today.

Guest scrumpy
Would love to help, but i am laying off staff. 40% of my team are working their last day today.

The good times will be back, when is the only question !

Guest JonnyNI

Hi VERYSTORMY,

I'm a civil engineer currently working as a section engineer/site manager on medium sized civils projects in the UK. What field do you work in and do you think I am going to have difficulty finding work when I move out in late February??

Thanks for your help.... Seeing this thread has just added to my nerves BIG TIME!!!

Jonny

Edited by JonnyNI
Just didn't read right...