1st huntsman spider

devon67

We were camping downstairs as we had UK visitors, putting DS to sleep on our mattress and he says something is on the wall, looked up and yep a smallish huntsman, DH hoovered it up! DS had one a few weeks back in his room, but the cat ate it..

My friend had a nasty reaction to a huntsman bite, said it hurt like hell and was backwards and forwards to the doctors and hospital for 10 days afterwards!

They can actually give a nasty bite and some people react to their bite and feel very ill.my friend spent 10 days back and forward to the hospital and doctors and her neck and face was bright red and swollen and she felt ill.

so they are not always harmless...

Folks, they are pretty ugly, but harmless. My son in law picks them up in his hand and just places them outside. I do not do that, but I just leave them alone, because they do eat other insects that are around. And do not forget, if you see one, there is always another one close by. LOL.

They can actually give a nasty bite and some people react to their bite and feel very ill.my friend spent 10 days back and forward to the hospital and doctors and her neck and face was bright red and swollen and she felt ill.

so they are not always harmless...

That must be extremely rare occurrence. I have lived with huntsman spiders for 40years and have never heard of anyone getting bitten. I too leave them alone in the house and have had pet names for them. As I said previously they eat mosquitoes and since I have had Ross River Virus which I caught from mosquitoes I would prefer the spider to the mosquitoes!

She was told that they are low risk to humans and that she Had a allergic reaction. They also said they do give a nasty, deep, painful bite. I avoid all spiders just in case :biggrin:

That must be extremely rare occurrence. I have lived with huntsman spiders for 40years and have never heard of anyone getting bitten. I too leave them alone in the house and have had pet names for them. As I said previously they eat mosquitoes and since I have had Ross River Virus which I caught from mosquitoes I would prefer the spider to the mosquitoes!

The Huntsmans are pretty much tree spiders, which is why they stay high on the ceiling and rarely come down to floor level. They especially like gum trees which is why they evolved the camouflage pattern they have (very attractive it is too).

If you want to avoid them the best thing to do is rent/buy a house with no tall or overhanging trees. In my parents house (in Melbourne) we used to get Huntmans in the house as an almost weekly occurrence, they are easy to deal with though so we never panicked. After my parents cut down several large gum trees which were close to the house (gum trees have a habit of shedding branches regularly and they were getting sick of repairing the roof and gutters) they say they could count the number of Huntsmans in the house on one hand over a period of roughly a decade.

In my own house, we didn't have the option of cutting down trees as we liked them as they were, instead every two months we'd set off several flea bombs which had the effect of deterring spiders along with other creepy crawlies from setting up residence for a while.

My funniest experience with a Huntsman was one morning as I was waking up... didn't want to open my eyes and was reaching for the cord to open the blinds while lying in bed.... after a minute or two of groping about I couldn't find the cord and so cracked an eye open a fraction... what do you know there's a reasonably large Huntsman sitting inches away from where my hand is trying to find the cord! I was down the corridor before I knew what I was doing, even though I'm not hugely worried about them normally :biglaugh:

Here is out pet Huntsman, the kids called him Harry, fortunately he never wanted to come into the house, had he have, I would of moved out.:laugh:

We have moved house now, and do kinda miss Harry. Every now and then my 5yr old will ask when Harry is coming home:err::biglaugh:

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/416941_3171957945269_516907081_n.jpg....... click if you dare.

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423101_3171966505483_842756194_n.jpg

31 years here, dozens of Huntsmen interactions, and never a problem with them. I too have not heard of anyone being bitten by one, though it can no doubt happen. I am much more wary of redbacks, and white tailed spiders. I close friend of our was bitten by an ant a couple of weeks ago, and had an adverse reaction to it, so the paramedics had to attend his house and, from what I believe, give him an adrenaline injection.

Guest paulwbafc

I have seen 2 huntsman in 5 years. Not had one in nearly 2 years. I want one. Mum has one in her house back in England. I will prob name mine Charlotte after charlottes web book. My mate loves hunts

Ans he let's them sit on the palm of his hand. Love spiders.

Archived