No jobs in the UK for us yiiiiiiiiikes.

Flake

Again, no one is saying that there arent loads of applicants for some jobs in some places but to be honest that was no different where I used to live. It's just the way it is.

did you not just say that the idea that 100's of applicants are going for the one job is laughable or did i read that wrong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955
did you not just say that the idea that 100's of applicants are going for the one job is laughable or did i read that wrong?

Well I actually said 'This idea that for every job in the UK there are 100's of applicants is just laughable.' I highlighted the relevant word. ;)

Guest chris955
Shame that not everybody can move to these little areas of england where the unemployment rate is low, wish i could!

It is no different to any country, areas with high unemployment and areas with low unemployment. You can move to Australia but not to an area of low unemployment ?

It is no different to any country, areas with high unemployment and areas with low unemployment. You can move to Australia but not to an area of low unemployment ?

In australia my OH would earn a lot more than he does here, in england he would be lucky to get a few £ more a hour. Plus IF i move to australia in the future it'll be for other reasons that england cant give me ;)

Guest chris955
In australia my OH would earn a lot more than he does here, in england he would be lucky to get a few £ more a hour. Plus IF i move to australia in the future it'll be for other reasons that england cant give me ;)

That's fair enough.

Guest paulwbafc

Yep it was on news in oz a while ago that many Aussies are moving back to the uk because of the economy. Some people I have spoke to in uk are doing it tough. Some are doing fine. In the 3 weeks I have been in the uk I have seen comet go into administration, the London taxi makers have ceased production and in danger of going out of business and ford plant down south probably not going to be making vans anymore. Apart from health service cuts in Brisbane I can t name any companies going to the wall. Last one I remember was fisher and paykel back in 2009.

Who cares recession or no recession the op and her oh have no jobs, they have been looking and still no jobs, how demoralising is that. Us telling about people who have jobs and insinuating that its easy to get work is not making it easy, bit of sympathy please.

Getting a job wherever people live these days is not a walk in the park for some and very difficult for others, nothing to do with experience or how proficient people are, just does the face fit for the HR army and unfortunately they are not good at picking good people in my experience.

Getting help with interview technique can help people. Bit like getting welfare, if you know how to work your ticket you are quids in.

Who cares recession or no recession the op and her oh have no jobs, they have been looking and still no jobs, how demoralising is that. Us telling about people who have jobs and insinuating that its easy to get work is not making it easy, bit of sympathy please.

Getting a job wherever people live these days is not a walk in the park for some and very difficult for others, nothing to do with experience or how proficient people are, just does the face fit for the HR army and unfortunately they are not good at picking good people in my experience.

Getting help with interview technique can help people. Bit like getting welfare, if you know how to work your ticket you are quids in.

I agree. I feel really sorry for migrants who cant find a job (either after going to aus or ones that are coming home) It must be such a scary time if you dont have the back up money from a house sale etc It winds me up when people act like it's easy to find work and that it's somehow the persons fault.

There are courses though to help with interviews and CV's - ive been to one. They're very long but it was quite worthwhile i think.

I really hope the OP finds something, i dont know if you've been looking for anything or just for the career your trained in but hopefully you'll find anything - just untill you can find your chosen occupation

There are no jobs here, I told you this months ago.

Sorry I disagree.

im a plumber in devon and I'm working evenings and have had to get an extra 4 guys in next week to finish off my workload before Christmas.

every builder , plumber, tradie is busy here at the moment.

The one thing that is over shadowing my move to Perth in january is that im already turning down loads of work for next year to not have anything in Perth , no job, no house, no school , not sure what suburb . Are we mad !!!

ian

Sorry I disagree.

im a plumber in devon and I'm working evenings and have had to get an extra 4 guys in next week to finish off my workload before Christmas.

The one thing that is over shadowing my move to Perth in january is that im already turning down loads of work for next year to not have anything in Perth , no job, no house, no school , not sure what suburb . Are we mad !!!

ian

Some people on here would say you might be mad :wubclub: but im sure you have lots of other reasons why you want to move. Try your best to secure some work before you go over, i know its not easy though

Some people on here would say you might be mad :wubclub: but im sure you have lots of other reasons why you want to move. Try your best to secure some work before you go over, i know its not easy though

Thanks Stacey

i believe it's hard to secure a job as a tradie from the uk.

i need to get me licence etc , apparently you need to show them your date of arrival.

Fingers crossed

all the best

ian

Thanks Stacey

i believe it's hard to secure a job as a tradie from the uk.

i need to get me licence etc , apparently you need to show them your date of arrival.

Fingers crossed

all the best

ian

Yeah i would imagine it would be hard but theres maybe some agencies that could help. Best of luck!

Guest guest74886
Sorry I disagree.

ian

Hi Ian

Could I just ask whether you have checked out what quals you need in WA to be self employed or run your own crew as it sounds like that might be what you are thinking you might be able to do, I only mention it because a mate of mine here in QLD couldn't do that without having a 2 year QLD qualification which allowed him to set up in business and employ people or do jobs as firm.

It might be that other people on here might be able to advise on better than me

Regards

Guest guest74886
So I spent 3 years in OZ- was stressed the entire time due to work pressures (and the fact my visa meant I was imprisoned with my employer!)

My OH is a Sydney born but being the gorgeous guy he is, came back to the UK with me on my wishes.

I am now in terrible turmoil because we are finding it near impossible to find work! we have been here 6 months with no joy.... its very strange as my OH is an Insolvency Accountant- its a recession here- it should be a booming industry!! We are not based in London- I have a house in the South West that we are trying to sell, so long story short, Bristol was our hope for work... but its taking too long to get settled. We have to now make another move to London..... IF we can actually get jobs there!!??

In fairness we came back from OZ in a hurry as my sister was diagnosed with serious illness, but what I would say to anyone deciding to move back is that make sure you have a job lined up before you do it. It has cost us literally all of our savings to be here... with only a glimmer of hope it was actually worth it.

Hi

Really sorry to hear you are having it so rough, one of the reasons we came out in 04 was that the only place we could get decent jobs was in London which for us was not where we wanted to be, so maybe a move to London is still the answer to employment woes I got jobs there whenever there was a downturn like in 2003 and in the 90's, loads of agencies in London and there always seem to be work thro them then but accommodation is always difficult in the center, best plan is to commute in from somewhere on the northern fringes we found to be best, the southern fringes we found to be more expensive to live, my son has been commuting in from Cheltenham on the early ,early coach recently but it is knackering but might get you started with something.

Hope it improves for you. Have you thought about what you might be able to pick up as Christmas work in London, there always seemed to be demand even when it was bad all over, don't know how pushed you are.

Hi Ian

Could I just ask whether you have checked out what quals you need in WA to be self employed or run your own crew as it sounds like that might be what you are thinking you might be able to do, I only mention it because a mate of mine here in QLD couldn't do that without having a 2 year QLD qualification which allowed him to set up in business and employ people or do jobs as firm.

It might be that other people on here might be able to advise on better than me

Regards

Hi,

yes I've looked into it.

first I can only work for a licenced plumber as I would only have my provincial licence.

to get a contractors licence ( self employed) you have to sit a plumbing course which is more to do with plumbing system designs and a business course.

if we like Oz and stay ill definitely get my contractors licence .

thanks for you advise

all the best

ian

Guest chris955
7.5% unemployment in the UK, so only just over 7 people out of 100 are out of work, when you look at it that way it dont seem so bad.

It's amazing isnt it really, if you look at both countries the difference between the number of people per 100 who are out of work is just over 2 but some would have us believe in Australia you can just leave one job and walk into another but in the UK there are no jobs. If the UK had unemployment like Spain for instance I would see the argument but when it is just over 2 per 100 it is absurd. OBVIOUSLY some areas are doing it harder than others. Where we left in Brisbane the rate was around 8% and here it is around 4% so it works both ways of course.

Guest chris955
Yep it was on news in oz a while ago that many Aussies are moving back to the uk because of the economy. Some people I have spoke to in uk are doing it tough. Some are doing fine. In the 3 weeks I have been in the uk I have seen comet go into administration, the London taxi makers have ceased production and in danger of going out of business and ford plant down south probably not going to be making vans anymore. Apart from health service cuts in Brisbane I can t name any companies going to the wall. Last one I remember was fisher and paykel back in 2009.

Dont know about Brisbane specifically but I assume the companies you mentioned arent from your UK home town ? In Australia generally there have been numerous big and small companies go to the wall, a huge number since 2009. I'm not sure what happened to Fisher and Paykel in Brisbane in 2009 as they are a NZ company. Some Aussie companies to go under are Darryl Lea, Autodom the car parts maker, New Dimension Homes, Wooldridges, Hastie Group, Bluestone Construction, CMI car parts, APV CAR PARTS, Air Australia, St Hilliers Construction, Wild Surf Co, Ojay, Game, 1 St Fleet and many more. Those are this year and not all by any means. It is tough all over.

It'll depend on whether they require a skilled person or not....lots of unskilled jobs will get lots more applicants than a skilled position.

Why are you taking this so seriously anyway homeward? i don't know anyone that hasn't got a job either, well a few people but thats out of laziness rather than there not being work out there, but like people have said just depends on the area aswell.

Guest chris955
It'll depend on whether they require a skilled person or not....lots of unskilled jobs will get lots more applicants than a skilled position.

Why are you taking this so seriously anyway homeward? i don't know anyone that hasn't got a job either, well a few people but thats out of laziness rather than there not being work out there, but like people have said just depends on the area aswell.

Taking it seriously ?

Archived