Flour

dmaxontour

Hi,

We do a lot of our own baking here (Ireland) and buy Spelt flour in bulk to last us a few months, and it's pretty reasonable. We were looking at Oz prices and they were outrageous in comparison.

Does anyone else bake? Where are you ordering your flour from? Online or local?

Any good tips would be great.

Spelt has a higher amount of protein, but is also easier to digest. I think it is less likely to impact IBS but am not sure. I would say though that I bloat less with spelt bread than normal bread.

nice!! I love to bake as well. might have to try this spelt flour you talk about. I'm here in the US and the cost difference between spelt and ordinary flour costs roughly the same

http://www.vitacost.com/arrowhead-mills-organic-spelt-flour?csrc=GPF-PA-074333471684&ci_sku=074333471684&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CL-DkP6VqbMCFUdxQgodOFcAqw

Hi,

We do a lot of our own baking here (Ireland) and buy Spelt flour in bulk to last us a few months, and it's pretty reasonable. We were looking at Oz prices and they were outrageous in comparison.

What are the wages in comparison for you to make that statement???

Cheers, Bobj.

I am yet to find spelt, but I haven't really been looking yet, only done 2 supermarket shops. Bought normal wheat flour and it seemed quite resonable.

I have the details of a wholefoods co-op here on the sunshine coast, which is how I used to get things like that in UK, so i will be checking that out soon.

We only buy organic flour including spelt from helath food shops/bulk distributors which have plenty. Supercraps probably not (there's that pom supercrap obsession again).

Guest Guest16631

........santos.com.au.....................sells many organic flours they are in Byron bay NSW...............but do deliver..........

Hi,

Makes sure you have large airtight containers to keep it in. The heat encourages weevils and it is not nice having to sieve them out before you bake. :no:

This is so true. you need to freeze al flour just incase for 3 days. I store mine in the freezer then fridge in containers.

Makes sure you have large airtight containers to keep it in. The heat encourages weevils and it is not nice having to sieve them out before you bake. :no:

This is so true. you need to freeze al flour just incase for 3 days. I store mine in the freezer then fridge in containers.

Thanks all for the replies, websites, and suggestions (weevels, uck).

It seems like flour is still pretty expensive, buit I don't know the price of bread. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, we paid £45 ($70ish) for 25kg. We're looking at $150 for the same amount in Oz.

Home made bread is too good to let go so we'll just have to adjust. :-)

Spelt has a higher amount of protein, but is also easier to digest. I think it is less likely to impact IBS but am not sure. I would say though that I bloat less with spelt bread than normal bread.

Try eating roast fennel seed 2 tbsp aday with a lil bit of sugar and a sip of water.........really helps with bloating...over time it completely stops it :)

I paid $22 for 12.5 kg on a recent co op and it was for organic stoneground flour

Its normally $26 for 12.5 kg

The spelt we get is organic and approx $125- 135 for 25 kg, ( I get it for less than $120 on co op) non organic should be much cheaper

will have a look around, basic ingredients is good but offline at the moment

Thanks all for the replies, websites, and suggestions (weevels, uck).

It seems like flour is still pretty expensive, buit I don't know the price of bread. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, we paid £45 ($70ish) for 25kg. We're looking at $150 for the same amount in Oz.

Home made bread is too good to let go so we'll just have to adjust. :-)

Archived