Crewkerne, Somerset

landv

Does anyone know this place at all? What is it like?

I've been looking on Rightmove lately and I have come across this town and I've noticed that a quite few cottages (many of them Grade II listed) that are for sale are reasonably priced, dare I say, almost quite cheap. I was just wondering why was that.

Seems to me like a really nice place, but then surely properties to buy would be expensive?

My dad worked there for 4 years and commuted from Tauton, its ok, nothing special, just a small town with a few shops. I used to meet him occasionaly for lunch, was ok, quite non discript from what i recall. Much the same as most of the small villages you get in that neck of the woods. If you want abit more life, ie shops, cinema, pubs etc go for Taunton

Crewkerne is not in the middle of nowhere ! That made me laugh. After living in Oz for 12 years and for five of those years living in the real middle of nowhere ( outback/ red desert ) I can tell you there is a big difference. I am originally a Somerset and London girl and really Somerset villages are amongst the most beautiful ( along with Devon and Cornwall ) in the country. A short drive to everywhere - compared to lots of hours here to get to somewhere/anywhere here in Oz......

It had flash flooding a couple of years back and again more recently I seem to recall. And could happen again obviously.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Flood-risk-easing-weekend-chaos-Somerset/story-16500791-detail/story.html

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Flood-prevention-measures-save-Crewkerne-repeat/story-16524892-detail/story.html

Its a nice town, not got masses going on. Personally I prefer nearer Taunton, some of the smaller towns and villages round there.

Guest chris955

I know the area well but not Crewkerne specifically. It is a very nice area. I wouldnt be too worried about flooding, it can happen every now and then literally anywhere.

what exactly do you want to know, i know it well

Nothing specific, just the general feel of the place, the community, primary schools, not too bothered about what sort of shops or pubs it has (or hasn't) got.

I have been around Somerset many times, but never been to Crewkerne itself, the surrounding countryside is stunning though.

Archived