The Valuation Blues

LittleLakeGirl

Urgh! So the adventure begins & this definitely isn't the fun bit.

The OH is in Italy 'training' which in reality means watching other people do the job, and I'm left here to sort our stuff and to be quite honest is causing me a headache.

I've had to put the shipping company off until Monday as there was no way everything was going to be ready for tomorrow but the insurance inventory (not the customs inventory, the movers will fill that in) is driving me to distraction. My question for you is this: Books, computer / console games / CDs, what ballpark figures did you put on them. If I'm honest I started sorting before I realised I had to count numbers and now they're so far back in the mound of stuff in our lounge there's no way I could count them. I'm going to put a best guess figure in, which I don't think is unreasonable but what replacement value (at location, i.e. Sydney) do I put on them? Any suggestions gratefully received. We have good number of CDs, around 500 -600, around 250 DVDs and probably 50 games.

Cheers all!

EDIT: Oh, do Sky+ HD boxes, take or leave?

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

Worth checking if it is absolutely necessary to fill in the Insurance Valuation Form or will they accept a compromise such as :-

i) just an overall lump sum valuation OR

ii) just an overall lump sum valuation but only having to specify items valued in excess of £ 500 or £ 750.

To our knowledge most Insurers are now willing to accept the declared valuation on either of these two basis.

Cheers, Chaps

IYM, the valuation form reads

I / We have read the notes for guidance and conditions of cover and agree that this Valuation Form shall form the basis of the contract to be issued in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of insurance. I / We realise that any item not declared will not be covered. I understand that no cover will be in force until a certificate is issued.

Is this fairly standard? As far as CDs, books etc go it's one of those situations where I'm not 100% sure what we actually have so if anything happened I doubt we'd be replacing like for like anyway, and most of our stuff is in MP3 format & backed up to the cloud anyway.

& I like that idea about using the Sky+ box as a spare backup drive, I have an enclosure doing nothing it would fit. ;)

Guest GeorgeD

Most insurers see CDs as a CD collection, not 500+ individual CDs...which means that you might need to list that collection as a single high value item (over their limit for normal single items, so they treat it like jewellery, etc) Take a photo of them to be on the safe side. same goes for DVDs/Books, crockery (I took a china tea set) I think IYM has a limit of 750GBP for individual items not listed separately.

I think this is normal for most insurers.

Yes, bin the Sky box. Cannibalise the Hard Drive if you can

Would you actually replace the CDs if they were lost? if not, then give them a low replacement value. Otherwise, estimate how many you have and multiply by an average value. Look at sites like JB-Hifi for estimates of replacement cost (seems to be between $10 and $30 depending on the type/age of music). Same method for DVDs and computer games - would you really replace the whole collection?

And don't worry, this excercise means you'll actually have a decent idea of how much your stuff is worth when you come to organising contents insurance at the other end... Most people severely undervalue their property as they just don't realise how much they've spent on their belongings over the years, and how much it would cost to replace the lot if the worst happened.

This might be obvious, but the higher value of goods you have, the more you play for insurance. We decided to think pragmatically about what had a high likelihood of breaking or being 'harmed' in the process of shipping. This consisted of a couple of mirrors, a kilt and TV. We thought about how much they might cost to replace in Aus, not the actual value of them in the UK. This kept the value and hence cost of insurance very low. It's up to you. We think this is a worthwhile risk to take. All our 'valuable' furniture is chunky oak stuff, so pretty hard to break. We were more than happy with the care the removal company took at this end. It's still waiting to be shipped so can't tell you end result yet!

Thanks, all. I'm stressing a little as the shippers (********) want the insurance valuation form before they come to collect (Monday) & I really don't know how to put a value on some of this stuff, especially when I'm a queen of the sales and almost everything in the house was bought at a discount price. We have comparatively little furniture, just one sofa, 3 drawer units. It's all the odds & ends that are mounting up. Especially when you add in our musical instruments, my OHs work tools & our bikes! You're right about underestimating the value of what you own. Looking at electrical & audio visual equipment things like that seem a little cheaper in Aus, would I be right to say that? I noticed for example that the brand new Samsung 55" Smart TV is around $2498 dollars where as it's £2599 here.

I think it's possible we wouldn't replace the whole collection of CDs etc, especially as much of what we have is in MP3 format & backed up to the cloud. I'd say we'd be more likely to replace DVDs but as technology moves on & things like Netflix etc become available down under we'd be less and less likely to go out and buy hard copies of things.

I would recommend looking at alternative insurers other than the one offered by the shipping company. We used Insure Your Move and they were a fraction of the cost of what the shipper was offering. No problems at all when we had a claim either, very professional.

I would recommend looking at alternative insurers other than the one offered by the shipping company. We used Insure Your Move and they were a fraction of the cost of what the shipper was offering. No problems at all when we had a claim either, very professional.

I gotta agree with price and claim

• 4 weeks later...

Archived