Advice Needed - Environmental Scientist Jobs

Ms Petite

Headin to Perth in Jan and have started doing a bit of research on the jobs market - contacting recruitment agencies. The general response is that because I don't have WA experience I will find it hard to get a job. I have 10 yrs experience in Local Government in Ireland in Landfills and env enforcement. How difficult is it to get in to the private industry?

Anybody any similar experience or any ideas

Thanks

G

I've read lots of posts on here which state that employers are reluctant to commit themselves to anyone not yet in the country. The recruitment process is costly and time consuming for the employer and the agency so you can understand them not wanting to put too much effort and resource into a person who may not actually turn up. (not referring specifically to you of course)

A lot of Aussie mines employ inexperienced people and train them up, so while there is a local manpower market to exploit, they will always do that rather than recruit a foreigner.

As you are skilled in your field, I'm willing to bet that once you are out there and have a Perth address, you will get a more positive response and there will be agents and employers wanting to bite your hand off!

Good luck, only 3 and a bit months to go!!!

Thanks for dat - I'm hoping ur right - A few recruitment companies have told me to contact them when I'm there - I suppose they are getting bombarded with overseas CV's everyday

I expect you are right, all you need to do is a Google search for "Aussie mining jobs" and they are all there for a global audience to see, they must get thousands every week!

• 8 months later...
Headin to Perth in Jan and have started doing a bit of research on the jobs market - contacting recruitment agencies. The general response is that because I don't have WA experience I will find it hard to get a job. I have 10 yrs experience in Local Government in Ireland in Landfills and env enforcement. How difficult is it to get in to the private industry?

Thanks

Hi, my OH is an Environmental Scientist as well, we are only at the vetassess stage at the moment. I have also read that you need experience, but that is impossible unless they give you a chance to gain it. You also have to be clued up on their legislation, otherwise they don't want to know. Did you pick WA state for more job opportunity?

Thanks

G

my oh is an EHO, 2 Skype interviews from the UK and she was offered a job with one of the local shires ( council's )

can be a few EHO jobs going in local government as the EHO course was removed from the uni course syllabus in WA a while back so no new grads coming through

Not good news! Why are they been laid off? What's happening with the mining industry?

The industry is having a massive downturn. Lots of lay offs. The metals prices and coal prices have fallen, the costs have risen a lot, so projects have been binned, some mines have closed and others are tipped to close. Several of the largest mines in WA are under review.

Exploration is pretty much dead. One of the major employment sides for enviro staff. Newcrest - the biggest Oz gold miner has made all of its exploration staff redundant. Barrick has pretty much done the same. Newmont have done the same.

Archived