2 adults, 2 small children and a shed load of luggage! HELP!

TheGrahams

So we moved out of our rental home for 5 years yesterday and are now staying in a friends caravan for 10 days then we are off!. Finished most of the packing and it's stored at my parent's house and WOW it looks a lot!

We have 1 small suitcase, 1 medium suitcase, 2 rucksacks, 2 daybag rucksacks and the kids have a rucksack each. I know when we get it all checked in it will be fine, but until then, well all I can say is ARRRGGGHHHH!

We have a train to get from Cornwall to Paddington, then on to Heathrow. A stopover for the weekend in KL, then onto Brisbane.

We are just wondering how people managed when they got to Brissy, did you taxi to your accomodation or what? We are well travelled, but used to doing it on the cheap (even with the kids) but with minimal luggage.

Also, any tips on coping with little ones, long journey's, and ton's of luggage?

Guest Trueblue22

All I can say is best of luck. I'm sure parts of your journey will be stressful but just think of your final destination.

I'm travelling alone with a 4yr old so I totally empathise with the luggage worry. As for tips on travelling with kids, I'm on a night flight and hoping to do the whole bedtime routine, pjs and story etc, hoping for him to sleep for at least a few hours. I'm taking his DVD player, V tech, pencils, paper and lego.

Guest Trueblue22
Thanks Trueblue, you are right we just need to keep our final destination in mind!

We have done many long trips with the kiddos, so we know they are good travellers, it's more the amount of luggage we have that is my worry!

Yes I can imagine :eek: I'm taking my family to the airport to help with the luggage lol!!

I would have used fewer big bags too. You'll be fine. We managed with two small children (one still a baby, one toddler) four large suitcases, eight pieces of hand luggage, a pushchair, and two carry cots.

I feel for you as we will end up doing a similar trip (we are in Helston) Although we are yet to get down to booking anything. I have already bought our suitcases. 1 each for us and the two older kids. They will have a trolley case and we will have hold all hand luggae. Then my youngest wioll have a holdall . I am thinking of lashing the holdall onto the larger suitcases so that tere will be less to carry. We will probably hire acar to the airport so we don't have to worry about the train (prob a bit late for you to think about doing that) most of the airportbits will be with a trolly or you'll have checked luggage in. How old are you kids? can they manage their own bags to an extent?

Good luck. Wish I oculd offer advice but Ihave never travelled very far with all of my kids either. It's just a few days then youll be there and can relax!

So we moved out of our rental home for 5 years yesterday and are now staying in a friends caravan for 10 days then we are off!. Finished most of the packing and it's stored at my parent's house and WOW it looks a lot!

We have 1 small suitcase, 1 medium suitcase, 2 rucksacks, 2 daybag rucksacks and the kids have a rucksack each. I know when we get it all checked in it will be fine, but until then, well all I can say is ARRRGGGHHHH!

We have a train to get from Cornwall to Paddington, then on to Heathrow. A stopover for the weekend in KL, then onto Brisbane.

We are just wondering how people managed when they got to Brissy, did you taxi to your accomodation or what? We are well travelled, but used to doing it on the cheap (even with the kids) but with minimal luggage.

Also, any tips on coping with little ones, long journey's, and ton's of luggage?

When the wife and I with our 10 mth old came over here 66.5yrs ago we rented a ford 4x4 and then just walked out of the Airport into the car then onto the place we stayed at, we printed off our route etc so when we got in the car it was away we go, but now days if you have a sat nav in the uk you can upload australia then when you get here switch it on and away you go.

Where are you staying when you arrive and how old are the kids ( re car seats)

You might want to consider pre-booking a big taxi/shuttlebus for when you get to Brisbane, as many taxis these days don't have that much boot space. http://www.findashuttle.com/airport.aspx?id=4

In terms of carrying all the gear on the train, it'll be a pain but is definitely doable, assuming the suitcases are on wheels. Backpack on the back, daypack on the front, pull suitcase in one hand, child's hand in the other If there are stairs, send the child in front of you so you can keep an eye on them. It is definitely worth getting little carabiners/clips to attach the daypacks to the shoulder straps of the big packs (which should have rings on the straps for exactly this purpose), rather than putting the daypack straps over your shoulders backwards.

Good luck!

I would have tried getting it into larger bags too. We got double baggage allowance when we came... so that was 10 bags... 6 year old... 3 year old... and 1 year old. It was fine but our bags were checked all the way through to Brisbane so we only worried bout checking in and then getting bags in Brisbane. One thing I will say is dont bring too much on flight. The airlines give you everything from any drinks... to sambos... to meals... blankets.. pillows... etc etc. Try not worry too much... I had myself so worked up and it actually wasnt that bad. Good luck and just think every hour over with is an hour closer to your destination

When the wife and I with our 10 mth old came over here 66.5yrs ago we rented a ford 4x4 and then just walked out of the Airport into the car then onto the place we stayed at, we printed off our route etc so when we got in the car it was away we go, but now days if you have a sat nav in the uk you can upload australia then when you get here switch it on and away you go.

Where are you staying when you arrive and how old are the kids ( re car seats)

SORRY that should say 6.5yrs ago i have the syndrome big fingers small keyboard lol

Just remember there are weight stipulations on the suitcases. If you are allowed 40kg of luggage, this will need to be divided between your luggage. Not one piece of luggage can weigh over 20kg!! For health and safety reasons ;0). We are a family of 3 and are planning on taking 2 suitcases each plus an item of hand luggage each x

Our kids are 4 and 6, we have done a lot of long haul travel with them and they are very good at carrying their own bags all the time, so that's not a prob. But as I~ said we are used to travelling with one big backpack and one daybag only! It's a bit different this time. All our luggage is old or given to us, so we didn't really want to buy any more, rather keep the money for other things!

I like the carabiner tip, we are rock climbers, so have plenty of them. Hubbies backpack is a very old army one, so don't think it will work on that one but should do on mine, will go and check.

I have also checked out the prices of taxis in KL and Brisbane and they are not that much. We are staying in New Farm when we arrive.

Thanks for all the advice

Guest Trueblue22
Just remember there are weight stipulations on the suitcases. If you are allowed 40kg of luggage, this will need to be divided between your luggage. Not one piece of luggage can weigh over 20kg!! For health and safety reasons ;0). We are a family of 3 and are planning on taking 2 suitcases each plus an item of hand luggage each x

The weight stipulation is not one piece of luggage can weigh more than 32kgs.

The 20-23-30kg will be the checked luggage allowance figure, but every airline our family's flown with to Oz so far (and that's been quite a few over the years!) has had a max weight per bag of 32kg.

:)

Sounds like you'll be fine - so long as you remember what's in what case :)

Archived