Made our minds up to return to UK - I thnk!

johnaross

Will finally decided after 18 years in Oz it is time to go back home. The last word in the sentence says a lot "home". Nothing wrong with Australia - wonderful country, plenty of opportunity for the young, relaxed and not too bureaucratic (although changing) but is not really our home. Great house here and the wife has a well paid job but at the end of the day money just is not everything even though it buys a better standard of life if not peace of mind.

I am retired (getting part UK pension and none from Australia because of earnings means test) but maybe get pension credit in England to at least survive until my wife retires and/or gets a part time job. Anyway the real estate reps are coming around next week to put the house on the market and then it is back home.

Question - does anyone have any experience of living in N Lincolnshire? We will not have a fortune to buy a house but should be able to afford a 2/3 bed bungalow in N Lincs. It appears to have one of the lowest priced areas in terms of housing. But previously I have lived in the Midlands, SW, Scotland so no experience over on the East side of the country. Don't care if there is no night life, very quiet, lack of top restaurants etc. What we like is peace and quiet, good neighbours (there if you want them or they want help but invisible at other times), access to the uniquely English public path system, quaint villages and historical landmarks or buildings. Not too far from the coast is another plus but not essential.

If any of the members can think of other areas in the UK they think better fits the bill please come forward with suggestions.

If anyone is reading and returned to UK how did you manage the cold - particularly those around the 60's in age. I remember one snowy day in Droitwich 19 years ago saying "this is the last time I am putting up with trudging through snow and ice", well not quite as politely put as that, so one concern is that the cold winters will be a major problem. I hope not and do actually miss the snow living here on the Gold Coast in Australia, but I wonder how others have got on.

Anyway decision made and just a matter of a thousand unanswered and some unanswerable question and of course the house selling and it is homeward bound.

I love the cold and ice for a time but not that dismal weather in the south that is neither warm nor really cold but damp. I believe that's a killler as one ages. I'm getting on towards early retirement but am looking into other possibilities. Too numerous to bore you with. But Malaysia and Malta were two places of interest.

But hey good luck on your return. 18 years is a fair time in OZ. I lived in Louth, Lincs many years back was young so barely relivant.....not sure if I care to retire there. Lincoln always found ok.....sorry can't be more help.

My wife and I have just returned after spending 16 months in the Uk for the first time in 29 years , went through what they said was one iof the coldest winters on record loved every minute of being back home and like you we also have our house up for sale and are due to fly back in January . At this particulars time in my life the uk is where We want to be

Good luck with your move back home

Guest chris955

All the best with the move, you will love it. Dont believe half the bad news you read ;)I must admit the weather doesnt bother me at all, way too much to do to worry about it. We havent looked back.

Some lovely properties in Norfolk and Suffolk, depending on how close you want to be to the coast, you could be very close to the coast,and big cities as well.Best of both worlds

Beautiful historic, little market towns, and very reasonable priced homes there as well

Good Luck with your move

My neck of the woods, born in Lincolnshire, lived in Norfolk and Suffolk. Lovely area, bit too cold for me in winter though. If we had decided to stay in the UK we would have lived in Northumberland first, then Lincolnshire and Suffolk depending on the property. Don' like the water in Suffolk too chalky. Blocks pipes lol

Thanks for the input. Still looks like Lincs might be OK - other thoughts have been for the Gower, Northumberland and left field also looked at Malta. The thing that puts me off Malta is that if we want to enjoy being "British" again perhaps Malta will just feel like living in another "foreign" country. Certainly the weather and lifestyle would be good but the practical problems of health care and just feeling at home has swung us back to the UK.

Will finally decided after 18 years in Oz it is time to go back home. The last word in the sentence says a lot "home". Nothing wrong with Australia - wonderful country, plenty of opportunity for the young, relaxed and not too bureaucratic (although changing) but is not really our home. Great house here and the wife has a well paid job but at the end of the day money just is not everything even though it buys a better standard of life if not peace of mind.

I am retired (getting part UK pension and none from Australia because of earnings means test) but maybe get pension credit in England to at least survive until my wife retires and/or gets a part time job. Anyway the real estate reps are coming around next week to put the house on the market and then it is back home.

Question - does anyone have any experience of living in N Lincolnshire? We will not have a fortune to buy a house but should be able to afford a 2/3 bed bungalow in N Lincs. It appears to have one of the lowest priced areas in terms of housing. But previously I have lived in the Midlands, SW, Scotland so no experience over on the East side of the country. Don't care if there is no night life, very quiet, lack of top restaurants etc. What we like is peace and quiet, good neighbours (there if you want them or they want help but invisible at other times), access to the uniquely English public path system, quaint villages and historical landmarks or buildings. Not too far from the coast is another plus but not essential.

If any of the members can think of other areas in the UK they think better fits the bill please come forward with suggestions.

If anyone is reading and returned to UK how did you manage the cold - particularly those around the 60's in age. I remember one snowy day in Droitwich 19 years ago saying "this is the last time I am putting up with trudging through snow and ice", well not quite as politely put as that, so one concern is that the cold winters will be a major problem. I hope not and do actually miss the snow living here on the Gold Coast in Australia, but I wonder how others have got on.

Anyway decision made and just a matter of a thousand unanswered and some unanswerable question and of course the house selling and it is homeward bound.

Hi there,

Been living in N.lincs until very recently-- still have a house there which we are hoping to rent out. I would definitely recommend it as it offers grt value for money for a well connected place-- motorway on your doorstep and reasonably good train services. There's even a straight one to Man airport. Lovely villages outlying S****horpe. Ashby in S****horpe too has bungalows to suit as well as suitable company!

If u want more info feel free to pm me.

edit: PIO has starred out bits of the place! Pc gone mad.

Hello chrisrich5 we live a little south of the Gold Coast in Banora Point. I know your area quite well but prefer the south now the Gold Coast has grown so large. I lived up that way when I first came to Australia in the 70's before going back to the UK in the mid eighties for 10 years then back to the Gold Coast in 1994 till now. So in total I have spent about 28 years in Oz and much of that time on the Gold Coast. It is a real shame the area has become so over developed and as usual the infrastructure has lagged behind. Good luck with your house sale and move in January.

Thanks for the info whoami and I might just PM you to see what was behind the asterisks!!! and pick your brains on the area.

Archived