IELTS Big problem

iwastakenbytheshadows

What if you're not officially dyslexic?

I was diagnosed with dyslexia in primary school after the school picked up on it. It wasn't very common then, and was listed as mild.

So as someone who is 'officially' dyslexic, I didnt tell them (refused to from being quite young), so didn't get extra time. I would guess you would have to be the same sort of level and just not picked up in school.

I got an overall score of 9. I made sure I didn't use any words that I didn't know for sure how to spell.

It was harder than I expected, but certainly doable.

Good luck.

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/what_is_ielts/special_needs.aspx

IELTS | Test Takers - Special needs

If you have a disability or condition which might require special arrangements, you should discuss it with your test centre as soon as possible. Each case is considered individually and you will need a medical certificate. Test centres need three months to put arrangements into place.

It may be worth practicing and still doing the IELTS. My OH first language is not English and he felt that he had plenty of time during the test. The only thing that you would get would be extra time which may help. Extra time assessed by education psychologists for university exams is usually about 10-15 mins extra per hour.

Extra time will not help a dyslexic person spell any better. Also there is not dispensation for incorrect spelling for this exam.

Have a look online at sample IELTS see if your partner thinks that he will manage them.

Archived