WHV Granted :D

nickachu

Have to work, Christmas eve, boxing day, new years eve and new years day. Urgh.
Think of the dollars though :) I'm working Xmas eve, new years eve. They won't pay us public holiday rates, so nit on Xmas day, boxing day or new years day itself though - in.a way I would rather work them though and pocket the money. We are going to go to a beach on Xmas day we think, although I'm so knackered from work, and its the only two days together I'll get off, I sort of just want to sleep lol. Am so so tired with only one day off and the stupid hours of the bus.....nevermind. its money I guess! Just got to plan the next leg of the journey now, which is tricky as all I seem to do us work and sleep lol.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since I'm salaried I don't get any extra money! Might get an extra day in lieu maybe, but still, yeah saves a bit of money. My xmas day will be with people from work I think, just cooking and beering round someones house. Which will be fun. They wanna keep me at work a bit longer too, which is gonna mean I'm gonna have to check back into a hostel for a few weeks, maybe months.

Well since I'm salaried I don't get any extra money! Might get an extra day in lieu maybe, but still, yeah saves a bit of money. My xmas day will be with people from work I think, just cooking and beering round someones house. Which will be fun. They wanna keep me at work a bit longer too, which is gonna mean I'm gonna have to check back into a hostel for a few weeks, maybe months.

Boo for salaries lol As you say, at least you won't be out spending it :)

Can you not find another house share? There always seem to be loads on gumtree and on notice boards in local woolworths etc - saw one yesterday down our way that was no bond as well, which is good :) They all seem to want people in full time work, so you are sorted there :) A bit cheaper at any rate :)

We are going to try to find a beach for Xmas day and have a picnic/barbie, will be a bit of a scene change from the city, and then straight back to it lol

Edited by PositivePixie

So Christmas down under is a bit strange! Didn't feel like christmas at all, but was good fun. Ended up going to people from works, there was about 20 or so people there, lots of booze, lots of food, lots of fun! But with the heat, the sun, the lack of decorations, didn't feel festive. But I suppose the main thing is friends/family joining together and having a good time :D

I have to agree nickachu! It didn't seem very Christmassy with all the hot weather. We went to a carol service the other weekend, and the doors and fans were on! That was very strange! We also spent Christmas Day on the beach (we went into Bondi!), and that was more like being at home - cold, windy and raining! I don't think I've ever seen the beach so quiet! Normally pictures show it heaving - I counted 18 people in my photo taken at backpackers rip looking down the beach!!! :o Hope New Year will be an improvement - do you have any plans?

PP why don't you make your own thread? I did click on your link in your signature to read but there isn't a lot of updates there. I remember you reading my travel thread and saying you were gonna travel but you went really quiet on here! :)

The problem with doing my own thread (and why I went quiet on here as well) is 90% of the time we have no internet access, due to being very remote/in the middle of the bush, unfortunately (for internet access, not so much for us in general, as we love it out there lol).

We had issues with the website (the sharkaroo one) in that the server hosting it did a bit of a delete, and we have back up issues at the moment (what with our entire lives being in a small campervan lol), so unfortunately we lost half of the content, but hubby has managed to do some clever things and has about half of the content back up, and photos for entries where we don't have actual word entries at least, so something to look at in the places we haven't written about (again, as we had written about them, but they all got lost). The first website (send us down under) is purely a 'how we got our visas and up until we got on the plane' type website now, as it was getting a bit muddled due to 'Send us Down Under' not really describing what we are doing now (on account of us actually being down under and not being sent here anymore, if that makes sense! lol), so the second website sharkaroo.net has all the travel stuff on it instead, including a very exciting (to me if no one else lol) map with pins in everywhere we have been and lots of photos and write ups of various places. We'll be back on the road soon, and will add in the bottom half of the country as we go (we tend to do posts and then do a quick 'dump' of data onto the website when we do manage to get internet, so it doesn't matter so much if it is bitty, unlike visiting here you see).

I'm working til 9:30pm NYE, so no plans really, I'm not really fussed about it. Probably have a drink after work then go home and watch the fireworks on the telly.

I don't blame you! We lived in London for 10yrs and never bothered going in for the fireworks - watched them on TV. This year though, we have decided to brave Sydney and watch them down there! Well, that is the plan. I half expect us to end up coming home after our day at the beach!

I don't blame you! We lived in London for 10yrs and never bothered going in for the fireworks - watched them on TV. This year though, we have decided to brave Sydney and watch them down there! Well, that is the plan. I half expect us to end up coming home after our day at the beach!

Oh, oh, can you let us know how it goes? We were thinking of doing this (but ended up in Brissie at this time of year, not Sydney), so would be interested to see what its like from an 'outsiders' pov (if that makes sense lol), as we may still treat ourselves to it next year (go stay in a hotel or something, as it will be our last 'free' Christmas/NYE without kiddies :D ).

hope you have a fab time (completely agree with the London thing - after 15 years there we were so over the whole thing and it was so much easier just to watch it on the box lol).

Will do! I think we are looking to go a little further afield (out towards Watson's Bay direction) in the hope that a little further away will be quieter. We have found a paid event that is not too much, and a nice family atmosphere, so we will see! We routinely go to WDW and actually the best views of the fireworks are from behind the castle, and over at the transportation hub (and both are dead quiet), so we are using that as our basis for where to pick to watch the Sydney fireworks!

Yeah it's good fun. Well new year wasn't so great. Work scheduled to finish at 9:30pm. Ended up getting absolutely slammed, only 2 of us on, basically a full restaurant. Burnt my arm, finished at 11:30pm, ran to the last bus, made it by a minute, managed to get home at about 2mins past midnight and watched the fireworks on the telly.

At least I'm not working tomorrow (I'm half expecting a call from work to come in, as we have soooo much to do tomorrow)

We ended up at Yarranabbe Park. It was a nice, family-friendly location, with a no alcohol policy. All bags were checked upon entry and all opened bottles were sniffed for alcohol! So they did their best to attempt to stop alcohol from coming in. There was a rotary club bbq (well sausage in a slice of bread), and a drinks van. The only thing you didn't have a good view of was the water light parade that they did (although perhaps it was better at the other end - we were down the Edgecliff end).

We arrived at about 6.30pm/7pm. It wasn't particularly busy at that point, so we were able to get our blanket down on the grass at the front, and thus have access to the wall once the fireworks started. We sat back for the 9pm ones (although sister was at the wall filming), then once the families started to leave, we moved the blanket off the grass and onto the walkway at the wall (which was warmer cos the grass was starting to get damp and the ground was still hot from the sun!) Then we stood for the main fireworks with a view directly over to the bridge, with the barges off to the sides of the bridge. Will try and post a picture tomorrow.

Sold my bed woo! Whilst walking to the hostel I stupidly left at about 12pm a car stopped by and asked me where I was going and if I wanted a lift! Brilliant, saved me walking about 3 or 4 km in the midday heat. Bought a ticket for laneway. Having a few beers and settling back into the hostel ways. Again this place is full of germans!