WHV Granted :D

nickachu

Work hunting is not going the best for us - too many scam places expecting.you to work for nithibg, so annoying - I just want to do an honest days work for an honest days pay - I don't want to earn $5000 a week or anything stupid, min. Wage is fine. Grrrr.

Agreed, so many bullshit jobs around for travellers.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I've been lucky with my job. People are all nice, lots of them working holidays too. And they keep giving me free booze afterwork. It's all good! :D

I think you are just fortunate you have an extremely in demand profession nickachu to be honest, that doesn't require lots of Australian 'cards' in order to do, and that not a lot of other people either can or want to do - there does seem to be an extraordinary amount of adverts for cooks and chefs here in the big smoke, so if they aren't nice to you where you are, you just go elsewhere - so they know they have to be nice lol

Finally we have success - and just like buses, when one comes along, several do! I've been taken on at a shop doing a good amount of hours a week, and have interviewed for another job with a big name that they are sounding like I've got it, they just are waiting on a piece of paper to come through, as well as being called by someone we applied for fruit picking work with over a month ago, and a couple of other irons in the fire. The hubby is having a nervous breakdown working in cold call telesales, which isn't the greatest job, but the office is run by an Aussie David Brent, which is just worse than awful from some of the stories he has said. We just keep chanting every night 'think of the money, think of the money' as its one of the few telesales jobs where you actually get a wage and not 100% commission.

We have however decided as soon as we can get out of the big smoke the better, as its not what we thought work wise (in the UK, if someone wanted a job - any job, at min wage - I would tell them to go to London, get registered with Office Angels or trawl McDonalds and the like - not go to the middle of nowhere or very regional centres. From our experience it seems very much the other way round out here - but then we are upside down, so it is to be expected lol. We are applying for remote store worker jobs again, as we actually really liked it before, it was just our totally and utterly mental, stupid, incompetent, illegally acting and horrible bosses that sort of ruined it all, so we will see what comes of that. A bit of a shame, as we really like Brissie, but we have decided that we need cash to enjoy the towns, and then can work in remote places, that will work a lot better for us.

If anyone is coming out, I seriously would budget at least a month of schlepping round trying to get a job in a big town like Brissie, unless you are a career waitress and don't mind funny split shift hours, or a chef with experience. If you find work quicker, excellent, but it can take that long for something to turn up - it seems a bit of a case of 'luck of the draw' with work and what is being advertised etc. I have found the recruitment agencies worse than useless I have to say (Hays etc) - I get the feeling unless they are placing you in a long term proper job like a lawyer or something, they aren't interested - they certainly haven't been in temping.

Anyway, yah us :)

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about once I finish going back and doing a Masters, so I'm a bit more relevant in the current job market so I can actually find a real job. I really don't want to be a chef the rest of my life. It's one of those jobs that you can't really do for a long time, really draining and tedious at times! Hopefully at this rate (If I can find another job after this one is finished) I'll be able to save quite a lot of money, saving $300 a week on my new fulltime pay! Yeah I agree that there is lots of adverts for them, and I suppose the good thing is that usually people don't stay in chef jobs THAT long so the 6 months limitation thing isn't so much of a problem for them, and now I'll at least have a good Aussie reference which bodes well for more jobs :D

Great that you've managed to find something! Shame that you're probably going to be leaving soon then, I really like Brizzy, it's big, but doesn't feel like a huge city most of the time, which is really nice I find. I'm still tempted to head up to cairns maybe and deffo down to Melbourne as I've got a mate there it'd be nice for a catch up with.

The reference thing is so important we are finding - they don't want uk references as they can't just phone them up ( and I have a feeling they just don't trust them too sometimes) so a solid Aussie reference is SO helpful imho. Glad you are managing to save, always a good thing :) there seem to be plenty if 'proper' jobs if we were staying I have to say, but we don't want to much people around if we are only going to be here for 6 weeks or something its not fair on anyone. Don't get me wrong, we do really love brissie, but there is Myers with soap & glory, bare escentuals, smashbox and Mac make up, boost juice bars and newsagents rammed full of magazines. So impossible for me to save much lol plus we were spoilt with remote - we were saving over a grand into our savings account each week between us - which is seriuos wonga lol :P

It's such a good way to save money, but it can be kinda tough if you are on your own I think - me and hubby have each other which makes a huge difference, but if you go in with the view its going to be really tough you probably will find it a lot easier iyswim. Finding the positions can ve a bit tricky as well, but the usual suspects are always pretty good and google is your friend :)

Lol, it is known for its drinking I guess :) my job is going well, but hubby got fired - just before he walked out lol. Everyone got fired at the same time, crazy company! But at least he got paid for the week he worked, so not a huge disaster as he hated it - telesales to people that should not be cold called (terminal patient hospice anyone?) Is pretty nasty. Not stressing though, I'm in gainful employ as a shop girl, so we have money coming in and looking to what we should do when we leave brissie....goodness only knows at the moment :)

Im at the stage now Im torn whether to leave brizzy once I finish at the job I'm at, Since I basically want to save money so I can go back and study I need to work (a lot) so if I can find a job here I'll stay and work my arse off, if not I'll probably head somewhere else. Still liking it here though. Glad that you're doing well in your job, not so much the hubbies! But still, money coming in is better than nowt, and means you can plan what to do next!

Im at the stage now Im torn whether to leave brizzy once I finish at the job I'm at, Since I basically want to save money so I can go back and study I need to work (a lot) so if I can find a job here I'll stay and work my arse off, if not I'll probably head somewhere else. Still liking it here though. Glad that you're doing well in your job, not so much the hubbies! But still, money coming in is better than nowt, and means you can plan what to do next!

Nickachu, if your goal is to earn, as a chef you seriously can make easy money, with accom and meals included remote - for eg, have a look at this advert from seek -http://www.seek.com.au/Job/chefs-all-levels-remote-live-in-roles-wa-nt-qld-sa/in/darwin-darwin/23494033 - don't know if its something that floats your boat or not, but thought I'd stick it up for you :)

Not sure if you could do fifo for the mines on just a WHV, but they seem to be advertising like crazy for chefs as well - huge money there!

Ta! Yeah, I wanna earn! lol! Not looking to move on for at least a month and a half though, so probably won't start looking probably till january! I think I might have applied to them before, or well enquired about their availability in the new year and they basically just said to call them back then, so hopefully will be able to find something, on 50k a year (well for the 6 months I could work) could save an absolute heap of cash!

You can do FIFO on the mines, dunno about cheffing though,one of the guys I met at the hostel was an irish carpenter doing FIFO there, making a packet he was!

You can do FIFO on the mines, dunno about cheffing though,one of the guys I met at the hostel was an irish carpenter doing FIFO there, making a packet he was!

I was just doing some random searches for remote store work, and saw a couple of ads for fifo cheffing positions, so just thought of you - they looked legit, ie from actual agencies and stuff, not just gumtree iykwim, but sorry, I didn't jot them down or anything - a search for 'remote' on seek brings up quite a few interesting things though - but the full time remote things would still bring in a bundle imho, so lots of possibles there for you :) Good luck with it all, hope you get something you want when you move on from Brissie :)

Thanks again! I'll keep a lookout, I sent a thing to MLKA the ones that had that job up there, their site says they find backbackers jobs. So I outlined my circumstances, I suppose I can just wait and see if I get anything back from them. Yeah the only problem will be getting to these remote places! Still if I can save more than the $300 a week Im saving now I'll be laughing! Then would be able to afford to spend a month or so enjoying myself properly before I go home.

Working fulltime really takes it out of you in this heat!

I'd go to the Lone pine koala park. I've basically just been working and then drinking after work and ending up going to Down Under Bar. Erm.... apart from that not too much! I came with the aim in finding a job and staying a fair bit. So if you're only here for travelling probably head to the coast I'd say. Or get looking for a job! :D

Also: Fancy a pint? :D

Na, no plans on the 2nd one, I just wanna earn a shed load of cash and go back and do another Masters, so I can hopefully stop working as a chef!

Why aren't you in the UK earning and saving instead? Bit of a waste of a WHV imo (sorry) just don't understand why someone would just wanna go to aus to work and nothing else.

I'm doing fun stuff on my days off, and experiencing living somewhere else is always nice. I'm gonna move about a bit too, but I'm not really up for the whole backpacking thing, if that makes sense. Like I'll go up to cairns and see the sights there, head down to melbourne, possibly sydney at some point, and it was a hell of a lot easier to get a job here than it would be in the UK, and the pay is better too. If that makes sense. Yes, I'm more interested in working, than holidaying, but I'm still going to enjoy myself at the same time, something I probably would do so much of in the UK (and I really don't want to live in the UK again(that's probably the main reason))

Why aren't you in the UK earning and saving instead? Bit of a waste of a WHV imo (sorry) just don't understand why someone would just wanna go to aus to work and nothing else.
Maybe because there are no jobs in the UK, unlike in oz, as well....(Sorry, just re-read nickachus post again, and that point us already made.) Edited by PositivePixie