Guest gibbon83

Guest gibbon83

Hi,

I have just been granted my WHV and plan to fly out the perth on january 2013.

I am a qualified bricklayer and will be coming with a white card and some hand tools hopefully. I know that I am best off to start in a hostel.

Could anybody 1st of all give me an idea of what hostels are like?

Also I understand many of them provide work opportunities, does anybody know if they have links to trade jobs?

Any help would be great , thanks.

Ian.

Hi,

I have just been granted my WHV and plan to fly out the perth on january 2013.

I am a qualified bricklayer and will be coming with a white card and some hand tools hopefully. I know that I am best off to start in a hostel.

Could anybody 1st of all give me an idea of what hostels are like?

Also I understand many of them provide work opportunities, does anybody know if they have links to trade jobs?

Any help would be great , thanks.

Ian.

Hiya,

Sorry I can't be of general help, as we haven't really stayed in many hostels, but we did stay at the Perth YHA when we first arrived, and it is great - cheapest in the city I think, but v. comfy. Ask for a room/dorm at the front if you are a very light sleeper though, as it is right by the train tracks (as in RIGHT by them) and they do sound their horns as they come into the city, but tbh, I'm quite a light sleeper and they didn't really bother us.

I get the impression from the few places we have stayed that generally hostels vary from place to place (buy a copy of lonely planet or rough guide and use that as an insight), between full on worker places, 7 days a week, to total party places, and everything in between - two others we have stayed at were the mon - fri workers and then mental at the weekend, but they were over here in QLD so perhaps different from WA.

The lonely planet and rough guide books both list good hostels for work as well as what sort of hostel they are (party place/workers etc) so I really recommend you grab a copy (but in the UK as books are MEGA expensive over here!).

Good luck and enjoy :D

My advice mate is spend as little time in hostels generally. They are not pleasant especially if you have lived on your own in the UK. They are ok for a week or two to make connections but after that get your own place asap especially as the warmer Perth/WA gets, the scarcer the accom will be as backpackers generally follow the sun.The ones in Perth are bad as a general rule although the Emporers Crown is good, (clean, secure) but not a party place. The party places tend to be the shabbier ones. Avoid 1201 backpackers, grand central and the coolibah lodge like the plague.

Guest gibbon83
Hiya,

Sorry I can't be of general help, as we haven't really stayed in many hostels, but we did stay at the Perth YHA when we first arrived, and it is great - cheapest in the city I think, but v. comfy. Ask for a room/dorm at the front if you are a very light sleeper though, as it is right by the train tracks (as in RIGHT by them) and they do sound their horns as they come into the city, but tbh, I'm quite a light sleeper and they didn't really bother us.

I get the impression from the few places we have stayed that generally hostels vary from place to place (buy a copy of lonely planet or rough guide and use that as an insight), between full on worker places, 7 days a week, to total party places, and everything in between - two others we have stayed at were the mon - fri workers and then mental at the weekend, but they were over here in QLD so perhaps different from WA.

The lonely planet and rough guide books both list good hostels for work as well as what sort of hostel they are (party place/workers etc) so I really recommend you grab a copy (but in the UK as books are MEGA expensive over here!).

Good luck and enjoy :D

thanks for the reply, very helpful. Have you guys settled over there now? I am constantly looking into permanent residence just incase I want to stay as it would be best gathering all references in now etc. Have you gone through the skills route?

Guest gibbon83
My advice mate is spend as little time in hostels generally. They are not pleasant especially if you have lived on your own in the UK. They are ok for a week or two to make connections but after that get your own place asap especially as the warmer Perth/WA gets, the scarcer the accom will be as backpackers generally follow the sun.The ones in Perth are bad as a general rule although the Emporers Crown is good, (clean, secure) but not a party place. The party places tend to be the shabbier ones. Avoid 1201 backpackers, grand central and the coolibah lodge like the plague.

Cheers for the reply. I am only planning on staying in a hostel for as short a time as poss. I want to get earning as soon as I get there and hopefully as a brickie, in which case I would look for something private. How easy/hard is it to rent an apartment or something and what would you advise?

You'll have no problem getting work as a brickie.

You should be ok but bear in mind Jan is right in the middle of the Summer here, so there will be loads of backpackers here all desperate to get out of hostels. If you know people here who can give you a word of mouth recommendation is the best bet. If not, you should be ok but my guess is that you will end up being in one of the suburbs surrounding Perth unless you want to pay top dollar to stay in the CBD, which isn't worth it IMO as Perth is very pricey.

Most apartments want 2 weeks rent as a bond and then another 2 weeks upfront in advance. Some want a lease of 6 months some don't, depends how much demand there is.

My advice is to bring that much with the sole intention of using it for a room. (800-900 dollars to be on the safe side, or around £600)

Any more questions feel free.

Edited by digitalis

• 1 month later...

Hiya mate, my mate stayed in Perth & reccommended Billabong, I'm heading to Perth in February & just tried to book Bilabong but its fully booked from March onwards. hostelworld is good for reviews. I'm a carpenter so I will be looking for construction work too. How did you get your white card already?

Cheers

Den