Is this really the cost of things I'm scared!

Kelsb21

As a side note, we've only just discovered entertainmentbook.com.au. Each year they sell a limited number of books containing vouchers off restaurants. Most of our usual eating holes are in there. Typically you get either a buy one main meal get one free or 25% off the total bill. The book is $60 and each state has its own version covering local restaurants. There are also deals for days out, hotels, etc. The book can be used for 1 year, and if you use just a couple of the vouchers it would pay for itself. A great way to save money, find out about new places to go, etc. The book is sold for charity. (I'm not affiliated, just think its a great idea!).

Yeah you definitely won't be buying a sandwich, crisps and drink for £3.99 at the supermarket here!! It is expensive and yes of course you can shop around like anywhere, but let's face it some people do just want to grab a choccy bar and drink from time to time without analysing where to buy it from! That's something I definitely took for granted in the UK. If I fancied a latte I'd grab one from wherever - without even thinking about it. Here I don't - I'll assess it and normally end up thinking no I can do without and make one at home instead. But living without some element on spontaneity isn't for everyone. That is all.

Why do you have to be so sarky on these threads Dave? It is a real issue for many because, unsurprisingly, they need to work out if they can support a family on their earnings. It is important to many, and it's one of those things that can be really difficult to work out from afar. People can research but they can't be completely forewarned because spending patterns change for people when they get here, on top of the big variance there is in spending patterns between individuals. There's no right answer to the question. Posts which say things like "It's horrendous, unless you are on $150K you will be poor" aren't helpful - but posts like yours above are equally unhelpful. If you can't actually add anything useful to cost of living threads, why not just avoid them? It's what I tend to do in the main

As has been pointed out to you in the past, it is much easier to take this approach when you are single. When you are responsible for a family's welfare, you just can't do it. It changes everything

Perhaps they are just posting their experiences which may be different to yours. Why do you seem to struggle so much with this concept? Have a pop at the sweeping unhelpful statements if you like but that's not what you do - you just wade in with your own agenda, which is exactly what yo've done here - there were no sweeping negative comments on this thread, YOU were the one who made the first post towards turning it into an argument. Wind your neck in

Because I'm sick of reading about people who are terrified of coming to Australia because of scare tactics by a few malcontents.

Because I'm sick of those threads which consist of two people arguing along the lines of 'Australia is MUCH dearer than the UK.' 'No it isn't. 'Yes it is. You can't compare ASDA to Coles. Yes you can. No you can't. You have to take into account the exchange rate. No you don't. Yes you do. Australian wages are higher than Pommie ones. No they aren't. Yes they are. ad nauseam.

Ditto those threads about dentists.

Ditto those threads about doctors.

Ditto those threads about schools.

Ditto those threads about pubs and beer.

What possible help is it to a prospective migrant reading about one group who say that Aussie dentists/dentists/hospitals/schools/food/supermarkets/sausgages/pubs are worse than UK versus another group who say the exact opposite.

How are they supposed to make any kind of value judgement about coming to Australia from that?

I love Australia and I want anyone who has the right to come here to do so and experience the unique way of life.

As Oscar Wilde might have said. 'A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything in Australia, and the value of nothing in Australia.'

And just because I am single does not mean that I am automatically immune to the financial problems that beset families.

Earlier this year I was out of work for six months and, as I don't qualify for dole, had to dip into my own savings, but that was not because I live in Australia It would have been the same in the UK.

And when I had a mortage, back in the 80's, when the interest rate reached 18 per cent. I struggled to make ends meet. My parents used to send me cash in their letters.

Because I'm sick of reading about people who are terrified of coming to Australia because of scare tactics by a few malcontents.

Because I'm sick of those threads which consist of two people arguing along the lines of 'Australia is MUCH dearer than the UK.' 'No it isn't. 'Yes it is. You can't compare ASDA to Coles. Yes you can. No you can't. You have to take into account the exchange rate. No you don't. Yes you do. Australian wages are higher than Pommie ones. No they aren't. Yes they are. ad nauseam.

What possible help is it to a prospective migrant reading about one group who say that Aussie dentists/dentists/hospitals/schools/food/supermarkets/sausgages/pubs are worse than UK versus another group who say the exact opposite.

How are they supposed to make any kind of value judgement about coming to Australia from that?

I love Australia and I want anyone who has the right to come here to do so and experience the unique way of life.

As Oscar Wilde might have said. 'A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything in Australia, and the value of nothing in Australia.'

And just because I am single does not mean that I am automatically immune to the financial problems that beset families.

Earlier this year I was out of work for six months and, as I don't qualify for dole, had to dip into my own savings, but that was not because I live in Australia It would have been the same in the UK.

And when I had a mortage, back in the 80's, when the interest rate reached 18 per cent. I struggled to make ends meet. My parents used to send me cash in their letters.

I'm afraid if your sick of such sentiments being expressed take care the illness doesn't become terminal because such posts will hardly cease. I would have thought it goes pretty well with the subject at hand.

Oh, and the value of a number of things are rather questionable at this moment in time.

Yeah you definitely won't be buying a sandwich, crisps and drink for £3.99 at the supermarket here!! It is expensive and yes of course you can shop around like anywhere, but let's face it some people do just want to grab a choccy bar and drink from time to time without analysing where to buy it from! That's something I definitely took for granted in the UK. If I fancied a latte I'd grab one from wherever - without even thinking about it. Here I don't - I'll assess it and normally end up thinking no I can do without and make one at home instead. But living without some element on spontaneity isn't for everyone. That is all.

I paid about £2.30 for a pretty insipid cappuccino in the UK a few months back (well known chain, not founded in Seattle, not called the same as a former Roman emperor). Same drink here in any of the cafe's I frequent costs me $3.80-$3.90. Are you in Perth (famous for being expensive to eat out at) and where are you buying your drinks from?

I think you should cancel your plans to migrate to Australia. Why put yourself through all the pain and heartache if you are going to worry yourself sick about things like this. And things will only get worse, what with homesickness and feelings of alienation. Admittedly, these do usually pass but it takes a few months to a couple of years.

They are not "scare tactics" by a "few malcontents" in the main - they are mostly the real life experiences of real people. Just because your experience is different doesn't make them invalid. I'd have some sympathy for you if, on this thread where you chose to wade in with a stupid sarky comment, there were loads of people posting "scare tactic" posts - but there were not. I repeat, it is YOU who chose to turn this particular thread into one of those because it was YOU who were the FIRST to make a sweeping silly statement. No one else. You.

Tackle the sweeping posts you disagree with if you like. Please do not take your issues from thread to thread and pollute the rest of them. THAT is what is unhelpful to migrants

So ignore them, for heaven's sake. They are inevitable, and the argument/debate/disagreement is inevitable on them as well because everyone's experience is different. You're not going to stop the threads existing, you're not going to stop people posting stuff you don't like/agree with on them, so you're best off doing what most of us do, which is leave them alone. Unless perhaps someone has made a ridiculous statement on one, but I repeat, no one did that on this thread until YOU waded in. Go back and check

It's not a lot of help, no. As per previous, it's one of those things you can research but you can't resolve. To some extent you have to take a leap of faith. But other people posting sensibly about what they have experienced is certainly way more helpful than dozy sarcastic posts like yours on this thread

Of course you are not immune. But you do not have to worry about paying for rent/mortgage, as you own a home outright, and you do not have to worry about anyone else. It does make all the difference even if you think not - it's not easy being poor single or not, but it's sure a lot less stressful making the decision yourself to eat beans on toast only because you're totally skint than it is to worry about trying to do that for a family, or worry about how you're going to pay the electric bill when your kid needs a new pair of shoes because they've outgrown the old ones

Hi,

We found things much more costly at first in Australia. Spend some time learning prices and scoping out the various shops near to you. That way you can gauge when something is "cheap"(er)... Fresh fish, meat and fruit and veg is cheaper than I am used to, we can get a kilo of whole raw prawns for $15, or a fennel for $1. Some things seem to be more expensive across the board - cheese, cold meats and bread is pricy here.

When we first arrived we were mentally converting everything to pounds. But you just can't do that. If you can afford it, great. If not, maybe some slight changes to grocery habits are needed.

Good luck with the decisions!

BertieB

I'm new to this forum but can see that many of you are veterans. I came to Australia in 81, paid full fare (no freebies), left behind a promising career and bad weather. Never been back to the UK; never thought about it much, but will probably go back for a visit within the next year or so. My motto is "never look back". It applies to many things in life including coming to Australia. Who cares whether a big mac is dearer here or not. Get on with it.

I'm afraid if your sick of such sentiments being expressed take care the illness doesn't become terminal because such posts will hardly cease. I would have thought it goes pretty well with the subject at hand.

Oh, and the value of a number of things are rather questionable at this moment in time.

I was just looking at the number of positive posts, all saying nice things about Sydney, all of them unanswered, but post something pointless about a 'yes it is, no it isn't' topic and the thread will run and run for longer than The Mousetrap. Case in point being an article in the Daily Mail I cut and pasted into PIO about the amount of time Poms spend at the weekend doing nothing. Who cares whether the Poms are worse or better than the Aussies? What relevance does it have to someone coming out to OZ? Less than zero, BUT, it's good soap opera.

I'm new to this forum but can see that many of you are veterans. I came to Australia in 81, paid full fare (no freebies), left behind a promising career and bad weather. Never been back to the UK; never thought about it much, but will probably go back for a visit within the next year or so. My motto is "never look back". It applies to many things in life including coming to Australia. Who cares whether a big mac is dearer here or not. Get on with it.

A thirty-year man (or woman!) Well done! I would have chalked up thirty four years had I not gone back to England for a dozen years and I've been a Aussie citizen for thirty years.

I take your point here. But I will warn you that you won't find 'lunch deals' like this in the supermarket. Pre-made sandwiches are not popular. You just adapt though. No great shakes.

If I buy a sandwich at the services I will pay £3.99, if I buy one from Sainsburys I'll get a sandwich, pack of crisps and a drink for £3.00. I'm sure we'll find the same in Aus. Don't live your life regretting it. It's only a flight home :-)

I am not sure they are limited. But they are good value if you are prepared to carry them around with you on a regular basis. If you eat once at a 'fine dining' joint you will 'get your money back'. It is worth thinking about getting a copy though.

As a side note, we've only just discovered entertainmentbook.com.au. Each year they sell a limited number of books containing vouchers off restaurants. Most of our usual eating holes are in there. Typically you get either a buy one main meal get one free or 25% off the total bill. The book is $60 and each state has its own version covering local restaurants. There are also deals for days out, hotels, etc. The book can be used for 1 year, and if you use just a couple of the vouchers it would pay for itself. A great way to save money, find out about new places to go, etc. The book is sold for charity. (I'm not affiliated, just think its a great idea!).

Hello all,

Now as I am into the final stages of my application I was going through all the posts on how it is like staying in Australia..and

i would like to understand how can we take this decision on the right time to move to Aus.

my situation is lil different..I am from India a developing economy and staying and working in Aus has more pros thans cons for me..

I just wanted to get the perspective from the UK residents on what inspires or motivates them to move to Aus..Is it better jobs, better salaries better standard of living...

as an outsider for me both Aus and UK are good places to live and work..

all the best to everyone..

Well done ...!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Average Uk wages are £20,000 below the average Australian wage using the current exchange rate, it is very easy to think prices of things are dear over there when you are spending pounds, its been said by many who live there that once you are earning dollars and spending dollars, you see the costs as being very similar to the UK, just make sure you get a wage in OZ at between 2.2 and 2.5 times your uk wage in Dollars, if you can.

Guest guest17301

Went out last night to a well regarded local 'cafe' that does dinners....classy place but a 'cafe' nontheless....we paid around $100 for 3 main meals, 1 kids meal and 3 desserts....oh and we shared some garlic bread...I thought that was ok...not cheap but average for Perth I think

We had a lunch out at our local cafe today. I had a rump steak (not a steak sandwich) for $14.95 and each beer (4X) was $4.30. This was a mid range place--we could have gone cheaper or more expensive.

I try to avoid buying anything at petrol station because of they way the charge for everything.

Archived