Cathay Pacific Baggage Allowance

jamesnparry

Anybody know if Cathay Pacific Airlines offer extra baggage allowance for 457 visa holders? Can't find anything on their website about migrants. Qantas have a good migration policy on their website and offer extra baggage allowance for most visas including 457. Unfortunately though their prices are currently £300 per person more expensive than Cathay (for the dates we are looking at)!

You are not migrants, you are temporary visa holders, it is wise to understand this for many reasons.

Anyway no don't think Cathay have additional baggage allowances not free ones, I didn't think Qantas did either though.

you are loads of help!

i travelled with Cathay Pacific to Brisbane and there was a stop in Cairns which they did not explain to anyone. be wary of them!

I know Quantas do (its on their website that they give extra for 457 holders), I have heard of a few people getting 30kg with Singapore by asking nicely and explaining the the 457 is up to 4 years. However I have not heard of other airlines allowing it. As a possibility could you send the extra cases via one of those companies who send excess baggage at a cheaper rate? (Excess baggage is a company). It would probably work out cheaper then paying the extra £300 each to fly with Quantas.

We flew over with CP and no you wont get an extra allowance but....you can get more through the back door so to speak. I dont know what airport your flying from but if you take a regional flight with BA to London first (booked as one thru ticket) you can get more on as BA has a very generous allowance and as your bags are checked on with them and then onto the CP flight it seems to work.

Another thing you can do is because your allowed your stated hand luggage plus either a laptop bag or a handbag, go for the biggest you can manage. Basically 4 of us travelling went about 3kg over on the hold luggage, another 2kg over on the hand luggage and all used the biggest handbags and laptop bags we could, filling them with the heaviest items. We ended up more or less doubling our allowance this way. The hand luggage wasnt even weighed anyway.

Another suggestion if you want to stay legal and above board!! would be, if you can get a decent price, is fly with Emirates. They have a generous luggage allowance as standard.

Good luck

Have booked with CP.... price just too good to worry about baggage allowance.... £2300 for the 4 of us! Thanks for tips on hand luggage though, will definately do that.

Cathay Pacific definitely do give extra baggage allowance for new migrants, but they have to pass muster with the visa they're travelling with. I know, because we're returning to Oz with CP in January and when I made my booking direct with them, I asked them about it, and was told it applied to certain new migrant visas, of which ours wasn't one. We're returning (after a long absence from Oz) on a RRV, which doesn't qualify.

I suggest you phone them and speak to one of their very helpful Baggage Services people direct. Their number is: 0208 745 5766.

It's not too late to ask, even though you've already booked, as my impression of them is very positive. I'm sure they'll give you the extra baggage allowance if your visas are on their list! Just pick up the phone and dial. Good luck!

A number of airlines will give the allowance to holders of PR visas making their first entry to activate their visa. It's much less common for holders of temp visas (like me) to get extra baggage allowance with anyone unfortunately.

Is Emirates an option for you? Their standard baggage allowance in Economy for everyone is 30Kg. If they are more expensive, they could still be cheaper than excess baggage!

Thanks guys. I did phone them and was told that extra baggage allowance is granted to those who pay their 'special' migrant fares. Didn't push it as am now resolved to travel light! (delusional or what?) We're allowed 80kg of checked baggage and 28kg of hand luggage plus a laptop bag; handbag and two small rucksacs.... by then we'll have sent a 20 ft container and air freighted 3 boxes of essentials..... how much can there possibly be left???!! Anybody worked out how you travel like a young free and single backpacker with a family and a lifetime of stuff?...

Archived